Old 03-31-2020, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 314 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
As of now, he's a +2 noncashing pro. So, there's that.
All he has to do is miss cash at 3 more NTs and he matches my career as a pro.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,387 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I'm also glad he's doing well for himself. I will propose an less altruistic reason why he should donate the proceeds from his livestreams.

Him donating his proceeds from live streams to a charitable cause geared towards relief of the pandemic would also be a hell of a news story. The dude has 2.2 million YouTube followers. ESPN and the MSM evening news outlets love a feel good story. It would be a giant positive spotlight for average Americans to be exposed to disc golf.

#GrowtheSport
so would you donate all of the 'proceeds' from your normal job to charity?

even though people don't like it, youtubin is his job. he's still working. if he did a specific stream for charity I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest and donations. I think that's what the 1000 putts stream was? But I didn't really watch that for long

Niced: (3)

Last edited by VictorB; 03-31-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 827 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
so would you donate all of the 'proceeds' from your normal job to charity?

even though people don't like it, youtubin is his job. he's still working. if he did a specific stream for charity I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest and donations. I think that's what the 1000 putts stream was? But I didn't really watch that for long
That’s a false equivalency. My normal job is 8 to 5. If I receive a donation from a fan (not possible in my line of work but I’ll continue) during this time of health crisis in the country I absolutely would donate it.

Brodie’s normal job is some combination of direct pay from Discraft, YouTube views, signature disc sales, and other sponsorship money / bonuses. The donations he received from a stream are not part of his income, they are gifts. He should donate them given the current state of the health crisis in the community. (He May have already done this but I didn’t see it but neither did I watch the 4.5 hour video).

If Brodie was counting on random gifts from strangers to pay his bills and mortgage than he’s a panhandler. I have no sympathy for that when there are homeless people and children who go hungry.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Brodie is very successful and he probably works harder for that success than most realize. He’s figured out how to “make it” playing sports that aren’t mainstream. That’s cool. He doesn’t need those stream donations though and we all know it.

Again this isn’t coming from a place of hate or jealousy. I will lose a lot of the respect Brodie has earned from me over the last few months if he’s pocketing those donations though.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Par Member

Niced 142 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Hmm. I’d be impressed and surprised if his deal netted him much money.
I would estimate he makes at least $75,000+ base with Discraft. Then add all the merch' he wants - paid entries - bonuses (Although these are useless right now) - travel - ans so on.

He is more popular than all of our top players combined and companies recognize that in terms of $$$.

I would guess there are only two players with larger contracts, overall - PMcBeth and PP. Add to that, I think that only PMcBeth and maybe PP are moving as much product. I have a feeling BroSmith may be moving more than PP.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Dude has a contract with Discraft, he doesn't need donations to pay his bills. Check out his video from today, he's outside his home (which looks to be worth $1-2 million if I had to guess).
From what I've read he's not on a salary like Paul (and maybe Paige), strictly royalties from disc sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
I'd be surprised if Brodie doesn't make over $50,000 from disc golf this year. I can see him easily making a lot more than that.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/brodiesmith21

His youtube channel was literally worth...millions at one point. Now it's around 100-200k annually if you average out the social media trackers, etc. He's great for the sport, I hope he can afford to stick with disc golf full time while riding out the pandemic.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Par Member

Quote:
That’s a false equivalency. My normal job is 8 to 5. If I receive a donation from a fan (not possible in my line of work but I’ll continue) during this time of health crisis in the country I absolutely would donate it.

Me too - I am in 100% on this...

I just have to decide which of the following will help with this HEALTH CRISIS the most:

- Bailing out all current debt of postal service

- 10k bailout for student loans

- Corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards at companies receiving assistance

- For companies accepting assistance, 1/3 of board members must be chosen by workers

- Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

- Funding to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

So many to choose from....

Niced: (2)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 148
Niced 314 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
Me too - I am in 100% on this...

I just have to decide which of the following will help with this HEALTH CRISIS the most:

- Bailing out all current debt of postal service

- 10k bailout for student loans

- Corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards at companies receiving assistance

- For companies accepting assistance, 1/3 of board members must be chosen by workers

- Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

- Funding to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

So many to choose from....
So, as you're railing against a counter-proposal that the House never formally introduced... You must have been for the proposal including a $500B limited-oversight slush fund that it was introduced to put pressure on?
Old 03-31-2020, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,387 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:

If Brodie was counting on random gifts from strangers to pay his bills and mortgage than he’s a panhandler. I have no sympathy for that when there are homeless people and children who go hungry.
Smashboxx, DGPT, anyone on Patreon and basically every twitch and youtube live streamer depend on this kind of thing to keep doing what they do. Panhandling? They are providing a service (entertainment). People who consume their products get to pick what level they support at.

PBS is 'free' and they ask for donations. Is that panhandling too?

I think most reasonable people can see the difference here. Of course, if you have the means it would make more sense to donate to a local food pantry before throwing down that $5 superchat to get your name called on a youtube stream

Last edited by VictorB; 03-31-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
So, as you're railing against a counter-proposal that the House never formally introduced...
You do realize that some of these non-HEALTH CRISIS items actually are in the bill, right?

Not "railing", just pointing out pure ignorance and lunacy on our governments part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
You must have been for the proposal including a $500B limited-oversight slush fund that it was introduced to put pressure on?
Irrelevant. That would be a fallacy of relative privation - "Not as bad as" argument.

From the post above, I think NPR received millions as well or PBS....either way, that funding will SAVE LIVES!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
PBS is 'free' and they ask for donations. Is that panhandling too?
We pay for that propaganda, actually. And yes, they are panhandlers.