Old 03-31-2020, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlickLuke View Post
We pay for that propaganda, actually. And yes, they are panhandlers.
thanks for helping me figure out who to put on my ignore list
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 02:30 PM
Par Member

Niced 102 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
thanks for helping me figure out who to put on my ignore list
Don't worry, anime avatar. I'm not offended.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 830 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Smashboxx, DGPT, anyone on Patreon and basically every twitch and youtube live streamer depend on this kind of thing to keep doing what they do. Panhandling? They are providing a service (entertainment). People who consume their products get to pick what level they support at.

PBS is 'free' and they ask for donations. Is that panhandling too?

I think most reasonable people can see the difference here. Of course, if you have the means it would make more sense to donate to a local food pantry before throwing down that $5 superchat to get your name called on a youtube stream
There's a significant difference between income from subscriptions and donations. You're absolutely correct that people get to choose at what level people support content creators. I'm not complaining that the guy makes money. My point is he doesn't need donations from a stream to feed his family. Lots of other people are in a bad place right now during the health crisis. If the people donating aren't smart enough to give their un-needed money to those in need, perhaps Brodie could lead by example and donate their gifts in kind.

This is literally what I called for at the start of this exchange. I think Brodie is the kind of guy that would agree with my assertion. I don't know him at all though, and I hadn't seen any news that he had done so in this case. This is my personal opinion and it's coming from a positive place and that circumstance is why I posted in the first place.

More and more in this country if you suggest people take an altruistic action you are attacked for suggesting they don't deserve their success. Greed has become an expected part of our daily lives, it's sad really.

PBS is a non-profit organization that employs thousands of people, supports content creators that don't have a means to distribute their work, or get paid to do it (although PBS has been purchasing more and more media from big production companies in recent years which is also sad).

Brodie Smith YouTube productions are not a non-profit organization. Yes there are similarities in respect to funding content you enjoy directly but these 2 are not equivalent. Not legally equivalent either by the way.

Panhandling was a strong word and I choose it specifically: Those who engage in panhandling are usually destitute. Brodie is not. Is he begging for donations? No, not from the 5 minutes of the video that I saw. So if you take exception to that choice of wording I understand but it draws a strong distinction between those really in need and those playing disc golf outside their brand new, very large home.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,044 Times in 2,631 Posts

He also did 5 giveaways I think. The last one was a Bose speaker/headphones of some kind which probably aren't cheap.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,246 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
My point is he doesn't need donations from a stream to feed his family.
I'm saying he probably does. He went from being worth millions (and bought a home based on that lifestyle probably) to being worth only around 150-200k a year or potentially much less. Donations, views, ad rev, etc, etc, it's all called "income" for youtube content providers, that's how they make their living. You should check out the donations some of those popular video game players get. We're talking...1000s of dollars. Related, check out "Mr. Beast" on youtube, he's donated 5 and 6 figure donations..at one time before. Insane....
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 28
Niced 56 Times in 41 Posts

Brodie’s money. It’s not our business. What he does with his funds are up to him.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm saying he probably does. He went from being worth millions (and bought a home based on that lifestyle probably) to being worth only around 150-200k a year or potentially much less. Donations, views, ad rev, etc, etc, it's all called "income" for youtube content providers, that's how they make their living. You should check out the donations some of those popular video game players get. We're talking...1000s of dollars. Related, check out "Mr. Beast" on youtube, he's donated 5 and 6 figure donations..at one time before. Insane....
I can’t wrap my head around your viewpoint.

You assert he’s worth millions and bought a giant house. Now he only makes low 6 figures and so we should take pity on him and agree that he needs donations from strangers to survive?

That’s a very distorted view of the reality and shows zero empathy for people who are actually struggling.

I think it’s absolutely insane that these video game streamers exist and make millions. What a sad state of the world that this is true while at the same time children go hungry.

The same goes for mainstream pro sports with the star athletes making 10,20,30 or even 40 million a year. Or CEOs making similar compensation or higher.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,044 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:

I think it’s absolutely insane that these video game streamers exist and make millions. What a sad state of the world that this is true while at the same time children go hungry.

The same goes for mainstream pro sports with the star athletes making 10,20,30 or even 40 million a year. Or CEOs making similar compensation or higher.
This might make you go actually insane rather that just thinking its insane. The highest grossing youtuber last year is a child who does toy reviews...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/highest...n-kaji-gamers/

2019 youtube income... $26,000,000.00

Old 03-31-2020, 10:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

That is insane! I hope they use their excess wealth to help those less fortunate than they are.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-01-2020, 02:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,246 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
I can’t wrap my head around your viewpoint....You assert he’s worth millions and bought a giant house. Now he only makes low 6 figures and so we should take pity on him and agree that he needs donations from strangers to survive?
wow...lots of twisting my words there. I said in the past his youtube channel was worth millions. It hasn't been worth that much in years imop, that was in his hey day when he was getting millions of views....per....video. (Roughly 3-5 years ago) And I never said take pity on him...jeesh...wth. My point is...you said he shouldn't take donations, my point is donations are a part of every youtube content provider's revenue stream. That's just how it works. Maybe some people don't realize the difference between Brodie the youtube content provider and Brodie the disc golf player.

It's pretty easy to guesstimate any youtube content provider's income. Youtube on average pays around 2k per million views, looks like Brodie has around 1-2 million views the last 30 days. Sure to the noob those 2+million subscribers look like lots of $ signs, but it's obvious based on his view counts most of those subscribers are not tuning in and probably don't have notifications turned on. Personally I hope he brings back the trick shot vids, no one did it better. Would love to see them with disc golf discs this time around.

Quote:
That’s a very distorted view of the reality and shows zero empathy for people who are actually struggling. I think it’s absolutely insane that these video game streamers exist and make millions. What a sad state of the world that this is true while at the same time children go hungry. The same goes for mainstream pro sports with the star athletes making 10,20,30 or even 40 million a year. Or CEOs making similar compensation or higher.
wowza..mega topic drift... Yes..it's insane to think how much society is willing to pay to be entertained.