Old 03-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 74 Times in 47 Posts
Default Freebie stories?

Anyone have any interesting freebie stories? Though I'm not really sure this counts as interesting...

So I was at my home course, showed up at the first tee pad at the same time as someone else, so we played together. I was particularly OATy that day, and was turning everything over. At the end of the round, he says, "You really need to get a good forehand disc" and went and dug around in his trunk. He comes back with a max weight Opto XXX, gives it to me, gets in his car, and drives off.

I still haven't thrown it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,207 Times in 628 Posts

Would be more interesting if it was Climo that gave it to you. But he woulda given you a Firebird instead.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:49 PM

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 199
Niced 45 Times in 14 Posts

All my discs are stamped with my PE stamp on the underside which makes me feel special and makes my discs easy to spot.
About a year ago I was leaving the course and passed very close to a disc that had just been thrown by someone else and noticed it was the same disc that I had lost not too long before, flipped it over and there was my stamp (and name & number). Dude walks up, I tell him hey this was my disc and I really liked it before I lost it, offered to give him 5$ for finding it. He replies that its now his favorite disc of his small bag, and he offered me 5$ to keep the disc.
Feeling a little bad for him, and knowing I had a full bag of 20+ discs including a replacement of the disc in question- I let him keep it, no $ requested.

Unfortunately Ive unintentionally given lots of freebies away far more times by losing discs in obvious places

Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 141 Times in 70 Posts

I've never been given a disc but have given away several hundred. All of my tournament winnings and unmarked/unclaimed finds are given to other tournament players or park gawkers or beginners or forum users or people who express an interest in any disc I happen to have.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:59 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Once I found an Instinct and thought it was the guy several holes in front of me. I ran through all the holes and sure enough he was just realizing he lost it. Fast forward a month or two and I see him again near hole 1. We started talking and I mentioned to him I wanted to fill a hole in my bag (I’m new to DG) for a high speed driver to forehand. He was kind enough to let try out some of his so I’d get an idea of what I’d want. I threw them in an open field and decided what I was going to get. I thanked him and handed his discs back. He then went into his trunk and gave me a 167g DDx and said here try this backhand, and you can keep it.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 334
Niced 391 Times in 193 Posts

my favorite stories are when i get a call about one of my lost discs and the person found it at a course where i've never been. i've had that happen a few times. many times i've gotten a call and they found it at a course that i've been to but it's not where i lost that particular disc.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:10 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 187 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
my favorite stories are when i get a call about one of my lost discs and the person found it at a course where i've never been. i've had that happen a few times. many times i've gotten a call and they found it at a course that i've been to but it's not where i lost that particular disc.

Or when you get a call about a disc you haven’t seen in years and the guy found it on a course in Iowa and you’ve never been to Iowa.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 179 Times in 95 Posts

I called a guy whose Star Spider I found at Ann Mo in Boise. He'd lost it at Dela 2 weeks before, and said he'd never been out of the SW U.S.
Oh, I've gotten freebies for volunteering, and a few for finding treasured discs or helping someone out of a jam. But like AP, I've given away hundreds, from errant desire purchases and un-inked finds.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Niced 1,284 Times in 824 Posts

I have a lot of friends that I give discs to and to reciprocate they will give me things they can’t throw well. If it’s too OS, high speed or they just don’t care for it I get some of them. Often with the knowledge that if I don’t throw it I’ll give it to someone who will, or that the sale of it will help pay for my next tournament.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35
Courses Played: 100
Niced 562 Times in 217 Posts

Several years back we installed a rock solid lost & found box @JPark and I took over handling all the discs that were put in.
A few years back some anonymous player dropped $20 in the box with a note thanking me for all the work I do for the course and local disc golf.