Old 04-04-2020, 03:37 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,493 Times in 1,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
Or, how might 'situational' width of a hole accentuate the play/strategic value of the hole overall? Common examples would be 'gates' or 'pinch points'.
I know what you mean. When I'm about to tee off, I think in terms of the "window(s)" I need to hit.

Something else I meant to say earlier about removing trees. If after many times through, you feel you need to open up a fairway or pinch point, sometimes simply removing a few branches may accomplish the goal, rather than cutting down an entire tree or two. Might even be easier, to boot.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterbug View Post
We've had to remove some stuff like you mentioned. This land was logged 40 years ago, it's got mature trees but also a lot of scrubby stuff and holly trees. Our other goal is combined use of the fairways as golf cart trails for my Mom to cruise the grandkids around on.

We're using a mix of Black Hole Light baskets and tone poles made of recycled unistrut and empty refrigerant drums. We move the baskets with the golf cart and put them away in the garage when we're done. I love those DB5 baskets, one of our local courses uses them. That's what we'll likely go with if we go permanent.
Yep a local course finished fully in 2007 uses the Lighting DB-5 too that survived a flood on the Missouri river in 2011 in water for 2 months the tops were replaced in 2015 by the better shape Mach III tops of the old course in Oahe Downstream State Park/Rec as they got Mach III in blue that the local club paid for the extra money to have them blue. Local club as well as got funds for a Practice basket, a modern Mach II and small teepad they use for a tournaments as a small temp extra hole and for things like ace race. in honor of a Dead Disc Golf player I knew from High school that if it were not for finding Disc Golf he would have killed himself the way his brother did in a drunk driving accident at age 21.

However the top chains did not survive the flood in 2011 on the Lighting DB-5 as a few years later in 2014 they were rusty, both sets not just the inner set put on 6 months later that was only Zinc Coated and the top was starting to get rust due to that flood and being underwater for 2 months but the rest is today still in good shape considering all the baskets are from 2006-2007. Yeah we used big squares of Concrete to put the baskets stand into as at the time they were going to try to make the baskets into portable in one section where they needed to remove them due to a festival that happens all but most likely 2020 but since the flood they replaced the bottom bolts with ones that were sheet metal screws and they have not been able to remove the baskets so they cover those ones

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 127
Niced 4,213 Times in 1,739 Posts

Two somewhat contradictory thoughts:

(1) There is no one answer---there should be a variety of fairway widths through the course. Otherwise, it just gets redundant. So some very tight to thread with precision, some wide enough to allow a full-power throw, and some in between for players to ponder the risk.

(2) However wide you like them. You are your main clientele. If you enjoy throwing down fairways barely wide enough to walk through, go with that.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 196 Times in 106 Posts

Some historical precedent to this question is in the history of Ball Golf.

There was a minor school of design, pejoratively referred to as the 'Runway' school, where the primary differences between holes was length. All courses in this school had a very uniform look and feel - no doubt created in part to serve the Pro desire to 'eliminate variables'. I find that many disc golf courses in the western part of the US exhibit echoes of this style...

Golfers quickly learned how little character these courses had and how boring they quickly became. Designers adapted pretty quickly and this school faded away, but lesson learned, and hopefully going forward we may avoid the errors of the past...fwiw

Niced: (2)

Old 04-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 42 Times in 22 Posts

I would struggle on 200+ foot holes with a single line that is 8-10' wide. If there are multiple lines on the same hole with 8-10' gaps between the trees, that is a different story.

Niced: (1)