Old 06-19-2017, 12:02 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 38 Times in 25 Posts

bumping this thread in case anybody is looking for a workhorse mid. It's a perfect disc. And the recent proline plastic is firm, pearly, and grippy.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 63 Posts

mght be my favorite disc of all time.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 31 Times in 27 Posts

The Squall is money. It is like a FD but as a midrange.

Edit: I forgot to add that I like it as a tweener disc. I think it is more useful that way. For slower needs, I'm using a Prodigy A3 and Pilot for approach. For stronger mid fade shots, I use an Eagle X. The Squall fits in there nicely.

Last edited by crd 81; 06-19-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 41 Times in 29 Posts

I love the squall, but I like it more where it is on the Marshall street chart, way to the right.

It's not my favorite long mid when fresh and straight, but the prolines don't stay there too long.

To me a somewhat beat proline, is a perfect understable turning disc. Easy to choose a nice smooth line to the right on wooded holes (RHBH).

I do wish they would do a run with just a bit of flex plastic, I like some of my understable discs with a bit of extra grip and a somewhat pliable top plate for certain weather conditions.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 47
Niced 378 Times in 271 Posts

Is it the same or just similar to the Zombee?
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 468 Times in 315 Posts

^^^I've only owned one Squall and it's a clear SP for night rounds. With or without the LED, my Squall is a touch more stable than my Zombees.

I get the Zombee out further with a tight little S line. Both are easy throwers. Again, I've only owned the one Squall, but I've been on a card where a guy did work with an SP and it had the same flight characteristics as mine: dead straight with a gentle fade. A buddy of mine tosses an SP too, to the same effect.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 83
Niced 315 Times in 212 Posts

The Squall is one of those discs that can be easily overlooked because it does so many things well. I've been toying around recently with. Kastaplast Kaxe Z and it is very similar to a Squall but a tick more HSS.

I've got a Proline Squall with a slight puddle top that is beautifully straight with a dependable but mild fade. It's been on the bench for a while but I may have to revisit this mold to compliment the Kaxe Z with its line shaping ability.

This tweener speed 6 is an interesting way to look at a bag. With longer putters like Harp, Envy and Reko, you can do away with traditional mids like Rocs, Buzzz and go with a speed 3/4, 6, 9/10/11 setup and be all set. It's certainly a different way to look at a bag and cover all your shots. I'm experimenting with this idea and the Squall fits right in.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 17
Niced 158 Times in 106 Posts

My doubles partner, a primary forehander, swears by the Squall. He uses it for just about anything <220' or so, even long putts.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 31 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
This tweener speed 6 is an interesting way to look at a bag. With longer putters like Harp, Envy and Reko, you can do away with traditional mids like Rocs, Buzzz and go with a speed 3/4, 6, 9/10/11 setup and be all set. It's certainly a different way to look at a bag and cover all your shots. I'm experimenting with this idea and the Squall fits right in.
My bag: Pilot, A3, Squall, Eagle (X), Orion LS, Fireball, and Surge.

I've done what you said with the exception of keeping the Eagle (speed 7) in my line up. I'll power down on the Eagle to cover the sharper hyzer shots and when there is more wind. I can also power up on it for more traditional fairway shots.

Each mold seems to complement the other through their distance-range and stability. The Squall can only hyzer so much before I need to break out the Eagle. The Eagle can only go so far on a anhyzer before I need something more flippy like the Orion, etc. There seems to be less overlap in my bag in doing this way.

In relation to the Squall, I think having a faster mid (and approach/putter) has helped me with lower ceilings where I wanted to go far but not too far.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 41 Times in 29 Posts

How far are you folks throwing the Squall?

After figuring a couple of mechanical issues out, I am finding that 240-270 (real distance, not internet) is very managable, and some throws are longer.

Very accurate for me, routinely parking within putting range on 240-270 ft holes.