Old 08-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 31 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
The objective has always been to get the disc in the basket with or without the help of the chains. If the chains are too thin make adjustments. These guys can adjust for weather conditions, types of courses, different types of tees etc. They can adjust to different baskets therefore I don't really feel sorry for them.

The spit outs I recall were folks hitting the chains high left. Adjust to lower right like everyone else is doing. You can't make a simple adjustment like that maybe you don't have the skills to win that tourney. Maybe your putting is just crap that day. Who knows.
There are a couple of times that he hit dead center and had them spit-out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he adjusted the power of some of his putts due to the spit-outs.

I understand that everyone is playing on the same baskets and have to adjust to bad baskets, weather, etc, but there is no reason that there should be multiple spit-outs on putts that are on target and not a result of luck; and this includes the same results from different players. Those baskets seemed to be especially egregious in causing spit-outs.

This video is a good example what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QthiWiZP0&t=25m52s
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by crd 81; 08-08-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Ricky putts hard, even when he's fairly close up, which I think contributes to some of his spit-outs.
Still ridiculous to see good putts hit dead center, even a bit low, hit all of the 2 chains in the way, bonk the poll and spit right back out. No one wants to play a huge tourny on low quality practice baskets made for putting in your back yard...

Old 08-08-2017, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 624 Times in 398 Posts

All of the Ricky spit out discussions are great. Problem is, they taint happening to other players. Players who hit dead center too. Ricky is doing something different. It isn't on the sport to accommodate Ricky, it's on Ricky to accommodate the equipment in place.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 71
Niced 453 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
There are a couple of times that he hit dead center and had them spit-out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he adjusted the power of some of his putts due to the spit-outs.

I understand that everyone is playing on the same baskets and have to adjust to bad baskets, weather, etc, but there is no reason that there should be multiple spit-outs on putts that are on target and not a result of luck; and this includes the same results from different players. Those baskets seemed to be especially egregious in causing spit-outs.

This video is a good example what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QthiWiZP0&t=25m52s
Threw it too hard and too high.

Didn't make the proper adjustment.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:20 PM
C is for Creeper

Courses Played: 8
Niced 885 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
All of the Ricky spit out discussions are great. Problem is, they taint happening to other players. Players who hit dead center too. Ricky is doing something different. It isn't on the sport to accommodate Ricky, it's on Ricky to accommodate the equipment in place.
In fairness, I saw a number of spit-outs happen to other players. I think Snappy Cole had a few, as did some others.

I also wonder if some of Ricky's putting issues were due to that new plastic he was using? (the "burst" stuff). There were a few of his putts we'd expect to go in that didn't even make it to a place to be spit out...
Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 131
Niced 93 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
In fairness, I saw a number of spit-outs happen to other players. I think Snappy Cole had a few, as did some others.

I also wonder if some of Ricky's putting issues were due to that new plastic he was using? (the "burst" stuff). There were a few of his putts we'd expect to go in that didn't even make it to a place to be spit out...
Barsby had one from about 10 feet that was ridiculous, and it's not like he putts hard at all.

On the other hand, I don't think Val had any spit-outs. She has been making it work with a wobbly, slow putt for years...even has a few World Championships using it, all on different baskets I think.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1,240 Times in 731 Posts

^The women were playing with Discatchers... and she did have one noticeable spitout on the last hole of the final round.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 08-08-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,109 Times in 485 Posts

The baskets that were used at this tournament were Discraft Chainstars. They've existed in this sport for close to 20 years and until very recently (the rise of the cross-chained targets like the MachX), they were considered top of the line in our sport. Still should be, in my opinion.

Do they have weak spots where a seemingly good putt will spit on occasion? Yup. So does every other target on the market. Successful putting is about recognizing those weak spots and adjusting accordingly (or living with the occasional rejection). That Ricky seemed to have a whole lot more trouble with spit outs than the rest of his card this weekend suggests to me that the problem doesn't lie with the target, it lies with the thrower. If it were solely a flaw in the target, everyone would have had a bad spit or two. I didn't see anyone but Rick getting the bad luck, at least on the lead card on Sunday.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1,240 Times in 731 Posts

My main problem with chainstars is the chain tangles. They seems to get tangled chains quite often, especially when they get older. When I look up and see it, I just cannot putt till I have walked over and fixed it. By then my mind is thinking about anything other than making that putt...

Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 624 Times in 398 Posts

Spit outs happen, due to the limitations of the baskets. That said, the frequency that I see it with Ricky and Nikko is much higher. I will grant you, they get more media time than others. I don't think I can recall a McBeth spit out. I'm sure it happens. He seems to chain out side to side. Same for Nate Sexton and others. I think I remember one Josh Anthon spit out, and he spin putts pretty hard. I think that's the point, clearly, some can accommodate the baskets.

I'd love to know what the actual frequency of Ricky spit outs is, and of course, that of other players.