Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
The order that you have placed these discs with respect to stability seems reasonable, because Eagles and Teebirds are not all that different in my opinion. The fact that you have trouble differentiating their profiles explains why this would be so.
As I wrote, I was much surprised, that these two classic molds are so similar. What actually are the differences in the mold? The TB/TL difference is clear to me, but the TB/EX difference must be much more minor. Where do I have to look at?

If I take the Inbounds flight charts I do find the flights of my Teebirds resembled there, more or less.
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...6638508360179O
My Champ Teebird is more Firebird'ish, but that might be caused by my missing throwing power. My QJLS flies straighter than the flight line pictured, but it still shows the same pattern although very narrow. However, the Eagle does not show the characteristics of the pictured flight, it flies more like an FD, even when brand new. My 10/10 DX Eagle flies almost the same as my 7/10 QJLS. This is what surprises me.

I'm a bit disappointed that my Eagle does not show anythink like an S-curve. I can do better S-curves throwing my Champ Teebird with anny. But everywhere they talked about Eagles doing S-curves, and that DX Eagles would be the ``true'' Eagles. I feel like I'm missing something ... Maybe I've just misinterpreted information.

Quote:
And, both Teebirds and Eagles can be pretty straight in DX plastic.
Okay, that's what I discover now. ;-) So, a Champ or Star Eagle-X might fly somewhat like the Inbounds flight path?

Quote:
If you were to get a max weight Champ Eagle, I expect that you would find that it would perhaps be a little bit more overstable than your Champ Teebird, but not a great deal more so.
Plus have some turn? I.e. if I release it flat, it'll show an S-curve? (These Inbound flight paths are for flat released new disc, aren't they?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
I own both. Started on teebirds, moved to eagles. Why? I do find the eagle over all to have more turn, and keep its fade as it gets used. Champ eagle vs champ teebird bought at the same time, and with comparable rounds on them, the eagle turns just a bit fades just as hard but with penetration, the teebird is still straight with a kind of dumpy fade.
My Eagle started with a dumpy fade ... unfortunately. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
All that being said, in DX they are really similar.
Teebirds that I have had almost mirror eagles in DX, though when seasoned have a less pronounced s turn. It's a pretty subtle difference overall in my experience, [...]
I begin to see the pattern. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
So basically a TeeBird is a straight to fade disc while the Eagle will typically turn and then cade back hard.
That's what you can read everywhere, but my Eagle definitely has no hard fade, it hardly has a fade at all. Seems the above statement is either only true for premium plastic or I have an untypical Eagle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
As they beat in the TeeBird loses LSS before HSS the Eagle is just the opposite. Its similar to how the PD (TeeBird) and OLF (Eagle) are longer versions of these discs. The Discmania DD and the Wraith are similar in this way as well.
Thanks, that's interesting, especially the first sentence.

I think, I'll just bag both, the DX Teebird and the DX Eagle and see how they develop over time. I didn't get the Eagle flight I wanted, but I did get a disc that feels all the same in my hand as the Teebird and that is valuable as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 178 Times in 143 Posts

I've thrown far more TeeBirds than Eagles and have almost no experience with DX of either, though I do have a DX 'Bird for a water disc. I had a Champ Eagle-X and it only showed turn when OATed FH or with a headwind. My Star Eagle-X was about 6.5-7/10 when I picked it up and it went almost as far as my Destroyers were going yet it didn't have the hard fade. I would suggest an Eagle-L if you can find them (they are absolutely money but they overlapped with my FD) or a Star Eagle-X if you want a S-Curve from your Eagle.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 134 Posts

I wish they made pro eagles. Lots of folks don't seem to like the limited pro teebirds that came out but I thought they were pretty good. I'd love the season ability of DX in the newer star like pro
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 355 Times in 183 Posts

I took a pile of Eagles and Teebirds to the local ball field to throw this evening.

I threw 19 discs total:
2 Champion Eagles, both 175g
4 Star Eagles, all 175g
3 Champ Teebirds, all 175g
5 Star Teebirds, 171, 175g
2 KJ Nybo Swirled Star Teebirds, 175g
3 DX Teebirds, 169, 175g

Weather conditions:
300 ft elevation, 20+ mph wind coming from 1:00 direction, 77 degrees F

I set up my measuring wheel in the field as a target at 300 ft, and threw each disc 3 times, always rhbh.

My results:
The Eagles were the most stable/overstable. I got some slight turn from some of them (not always though), but they always came back with a strong fade. I couldn't say if the Champion or Star seemed more stable; need more throws to determine that.
The Teebirds had a bit more glide than the Eagles. Got some wind bumps from the Teebirds. If they started turning over in the wind, then they kept going that way. They don't fight back as well as the Eagles.
The Champions were the most stable of the Teebirds. I place the normal Star and Swirled Star at the same stability.
The DX Teebirds were turning over pretty fast in the headwind. Cut rollers on some.
The Teebirds gave me a little more distance than the Eagles.

Other thoughts:
I bag a max weight Star Teebird always, but have very little experience with Eagles. I think this is because every Eagle I have looked at in premium plastic is ugly. Never seen an Eagle in nice jolly launcher Champion plastic, or even attractive Star plastic. They all seemed to be old stock.

I know that a lot of people seem to prefer Teebirds at around 160-165g. This range of weights in Teebirds sell out fastest, and so are harder to find. I have thrown some in these weights, but just prefer max weight discs for fairway drivers. Thus, my testers were mostly max weight.

I don't have experience with breaking in lots of Teebirds, and have none with Eagles, so I cannot give any personal knowledge that compares how their flights change as they beat in.

Perhaps others saw that James Conrad has been using Teebirds heavily in the big tournaments this year, to great effect. He throws predominantly backhand. And, Greg Barsby is very adept at using Eagles for his forehand shots. A player's style may determine which mold best suits them.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by swhite; 09-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 42 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Other thoughts:
I bag a max weight Star Teebird always, but have very little experience with Eagles. I think this is because every Eagle I have looked at in premium plastic is ugly. Never seen an Eagle in nice jolly launcher Champion plastic, or even attractive Star plastic. They all seemed to be old stock.
While not as prolific in plastics as the Teebird, there are nicer colors out there. Personally, I like to get white Star Eagles and dye them. I believe the circle stamp eagle sold on at the factory second store is in jolly launcher plastic. I've heard it's beefy.

Quote:
I know that a lot of people seem to prefer Teebirds at around 160-165g. This range of weights in Teebirds sell out fastest, and so are harder to find. I have thrown some in these weights, but just prefer max weight discs for fairway drivers. Thus, my testers were mostly max weight.
I recommend the same 160-165 for the Eagle, or least around 168. The extra bit of glide will make it more comparable to the Teebird in distance while maintaining the same great fade. With that said, it's not as if the Eagle is far off from the Teebird in distance, in my experience.

Honestly, I have a couple of seasoned Star Eagles and they won't fade too much if throw hard. There are a whole lot of lines you can cover through the different plastics, weights, and wear with the Eagle. It really is a do it all mold, more-so than the Teebird (though Teebird is a great mold), in my opinion.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

@swhite: Thanks a lot for the extensive test run!