Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 52 Times in 47 Posts

Hmm. So maybe not light blue eternal for an fd like flight? Or do I just need a domey one?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 317 Times in 214 Posts

Well I just checked the plh of the 167 light blue compared to 172 light blue. The 172 light blue has a very mild dome (very mild but it's there) compared to the 167 which is flat. The plh of the 172 is a good 1.5 mm lower than the 167 so that would explain much mellower fade I'm getting with the 172. The 172 is definitely FD like in flight and I put it at -0.5 or - 1/1

I have no idea but my guess is that the heavier ones 172-175 molded up with a touch more dome and slightly lower plh and the lighter weights came out flatter. That's purely a guess though based on my small sample size of 4 second run Alphas.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

I got a 167 light blue eternal 2nd run, flat and very comfortable in the hand. I would compare the flight more to my 175 s-pd than 175 s-fd, I get no turn or right movement. No big arm here though 330-350 max d thrower. Was getting consistent 300ft hyzers with it no problem thanks to a nice forward fade. Definitely gonna get my hands on another alpha or two, great disc.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

I'm a believer in this mold and I'm sticking with my description of it as the Escape Pro that I've been wanting for ever. It's what I always wanted the Escape to be but it never was. The best high plh moonshine Escapes I've ever had flew close to it out of the box but the HSS didn't last for very long because the Moonshine plastic beat in way too fast. The Alpha seems to have this covered. I'm not worried about the durability of Eternal at all.

These Alphas have WORKHORSE driver written all over them for me.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 52 Times in 47 Posts

Maybe Zj can confirm if this plh is correlated to weight or if it just depends disc to disc?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 484 Times in 239 Posts

I went to the local ball field to throw 2nd run Alphas today, and wanted to submit a comparison of their flights before zj1002's survey comes out.

Discs thrown:
2 Sublime silver 174g
2 Sublime light blue 169g
2 Sublime royal blue 174g
2 Sublime gold 173g
2 Apex purple 172g
2 Apex orange 168g
2 Apex yellow 172g, 173g
2 Eternal light blue 172g
2 Eternal candy green 173g
2 Eternal pearly green 171g

I throw right hand, back hand.

Weather conditions:
300 ft elevation, 79 degrees F, wind <5 mph

I have not thrown any of the discs enough to recognize the subtle nuances of each color, and so have not formulated definitive hierarchies, but here is a general comparison.

Most turn:
orange Apex, purple Apex, and pearly green Eternal
My general flight ratings for each of these: 8,4,-1,2
These flipped up pretty readily, with some turn right. Always comes back at the end of the flight.

Middle stability:
light blue Eternal, all Sublimes
Flight ratings: 8,4,-.5,2
All of these flipped to flat, with perhaps slight turn.

Most stability:
candy green Eternal, yellow Apex
Flight ratings: 8,4,0,2
These did not flip up or turn at all for me.

Summary:

I do not have any pink colors yet, so no info on them.

Some of the colors may have slightly more of a dumping fade (candy green Eternal, light blue Sublime), but not much more. All have forward fade.

These discs are all either relatively or very flat. None have a dome like some of the Apex 1st runs did (hello red Apex). The most dome on these is found on the most stable/overstable offerings (candy green Eternal, yellow Apex). In comparison, the max weight Star Teebirds that I like to buy have more dome than any of these. And, my Star Teebirds are also more overstable than any of these. These are slightly faster than a Teebird. The look of these is more comparable to a Teebird3, so I expect the glide to be similar also.

I thought that the light blue Sublimes would show more turn due to their lighter weight, but they seemed equally as high speed stable as the heavier Sublime offerings, and more stable than a few colors, as listed above.

As I stated above, recent Teebirds are pretty stable right now. In fact, it takes a while to break in a Star Teebird to get it to a good place for straight shots. These Alphas start out straighter. So, if a person is looking for a fairway driver that is immediately workable for multiple situations, Alphas are a much better option than new Teebirds, in my opinion.

Nice feeling plastic. Good grip. No flashing.

The colors on most of these are great. I particularly like the looks of the greens, but the color of the yellow Eternals is rather dull. The gold Sublimes may be hard to find in the woods.

That's all I can think of. So long!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Great write up swhite!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 425 Times in 177 Posts

I just have to brag for a moment on our little DGCR brands...

Just in the last few months we've seen the release of the Alpha and Gila. These two Discs, IMHO, ate two of the finest releases the game has seen in the last half decade. Unbelievably reliable flights and comfortable shapes. Kudos ZJ on an unbelievable mold.

My fairway lineup of Pteros, Tyrants, Raptor & Alpha is just about perfect.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Sounds like the Ptero is the FD compliment to the Alpha and the Tyrant covers the lines where you need a little extra bite and the Raptor covers the true OS utility role. I agree that the Alpha anchors the middle of that lineup perfectly!

Any word on when the next run of Ptero will be ready? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for some time now. That and a few more FLAT Tyrants in that butter Armor flex would be killer! I regret only buying one of the first run Tyrants when they came out. I had no idea what a great mold it was going to turn out to be for me. Hello FH line shaping magic!

Old 09-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 52 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
Ok, I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on a couple of these. If I was to run an experiment for fun and try to use one mold (Alpha) to replace the Patriot and Rival currently in my bag...which Alphas do I buy? A lighter blue second run eternal and a heavy pink candy second run eternal? Is there even a version of the Alpha workable enough to fly similar to a Patriot or are they all a bit too OS?
From what I read, the Phenom is like a longer, seasoned Patriot. That might be a viable option for an understable complement to the Alpha.

Niced: (1)