Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 317 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey question for you guys who seem to know a lot about this glidey control driver slot - what would be just a little less stable than a GL saint? Maybe a recycled line saint, or a recycled Falcion?

I have a GL saint and I'm thinking of bagging it, but I wouldn't mind for it to take up a slightly less stable slot for throwing in the woods. Not a huge fan of the Fury BTW, rim is too blunt
I find the HSS of the recycled Falchion top be very similar to a GL Saint. A recycled Saint would be a good choice once you wear it in a bit. I use a max weight Elasto Hatchet for this because it's the glidiest disc ever in its speed class and I can get it to hyzerflip dead nuts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 157
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 399 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavoc View Post
A Champion Beast is one of the best disc ever for this shot imo.
I was going to say upper weight Star Beast... give it a try. The main weakness is that it's extremely prone to flipping in a headwind, but with smooth form a Beast has all the glide and straight you're looking for. There are lots of discs that will work for the shot you describe, and there's no way around it: the disc that works will depend on your arm speed and technique... even pros will use different discs depending on what works for them. Find what works for you, while endeavoring to improve your form and consistency.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 427 Times in 363 Posts

I would say like others on here a Valkyrie in ether Champion or Star depending on weather. winter Star, summer Champion, unless raining. Look for ones that are a flatter type disc with a very low dome. The higher domed Valkyries are one you have to throw higher to get the distance from them or the higher domed Valkyries tend to nose into the ground too soon in the flight if you throw them lower, though this is just my experience. Another disc I have seen thrown by a cousin like the Valkyrie is a Avenger SS.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-18-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 17 Times in 14 Posts

A Legacy Patriot, gummy pinnacle plastic. It's similar to a Leopard but slightly faster and I think straighter.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

If you’re open to advice that will significantly improve your game not only on this hole but many others, make yourself stick to throwing your truths or rocs on this hole until you have figured it out. I know you said you can’t get it there with the low ceiling, however it can be done. Making yourself stick to the mids will teach you a ton about your throws and will turn into more distance and control throughout your whole bag.

Anytime I find a hole that is giving me fits, I play it over and over with mids and putters until I’ve figured it out. Then I usually throw a personal best on the course shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (3)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 88
Niced 364 Times in 225 Posts

I'd say a P-Line PD is the straightest, glidiest, and easily the longest speed 10 disc I've ever thrown. Longest 'officially' measured throw I've ever had was 433' and it was with a P-Line PD. I'd probably give honorable mention to a upper 160s champ Orc.

For the specific shot mentioned by the OP, I'd use a pinnacle patriot! They definitely can fly midrange distances on lower lines. I really like to use a slow, slightly understable driver for those type of shots. (FD, patriot, leopard, xl)

Last edited by VictorB; 10-19-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 107 Times in 85 Posts

I'd take a seasoned 168g plasma volt, but that's just me. Glide for days. Kinda ridiculous glide

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 52 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Orion LS is something I've been able to hyzerflip and get a niiice long straight turn and fairly straight finish.
Ols is a good disc that will beat into a hyzerflip disc. I found that it is one of those discs that require the right amount of power and flip to get it to do what you want. Granted, mine are not as beat, max weight, and in Sirius plastic. I think the Ols can be too precise in it's requirements to do what you want it to do.

For example, not enough power, it will fade on you. Too much power, it will flip and not come back. It is a great disc when it is thrown just right. In my experience, it is good but more demanding and precise than I would like my understable driver to be .

Niced: (1)
Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 118 Times in 69 Posts

I had a gummy pinnacle Patriot in the bag for a couple years. It got traded away on Monday. I don't think I ever threw a single good shot with that disc. It was kinda like crd 81 just mentioned- not enough power and it would hyzer out on me, or too much power and it would flip all the way over. I've had much better results with a Champ Leo3.

I threw a dozen shots on that hole last night. Best result was an old Valk that I threw a bit too high and got lucky through the trees. It was laying right under the basket.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 531 Times in 352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truwaco View Post
If you’re open to advice that will significantly improve your game not only on this hole but many others, make yourself stick to throwing your truths or rocs on this hole until you have figured it out. I know you said you can’t get it there with the low ceiling, however it can be done. Making yourself stick to the mids will teach you a ton about your throws and will turn into more distance and control throughout your whole bag.

Anytime I find a hole that is giving me fits, I play it over and over with mids and putters until I’ve figured it out. Then I usually throw a personal best on the course shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm, while this is how I'd play the hole, I don't know if choosing a mid on low ceilings is going to improve your game, other than teaching you how to throw mids on low ceiling holes. You may need to mess with nose angle with a mid. (I'll put a Buzzz with a hair of nose up, or if I really need to hug the ground, a Buzzz SS with a pinch more, and drive slightly downward like I was going for a very shallow air bounce. Partly because I love the slow glidey flight of a mid...and the other part is hubris). The other option is discing up and line driving it. I've heard a couple pros in commentary talk of low ceilings, and choosing a disc that will get there quick. Same for tunnels. Something quick, that you can keep low, so there is minimal fade.

Example: EO 2017, hole 6. Slightly uphill but shorter than the OP's hole, tunnel shot that really pinches toward the basket. This isn't a low ceiling shot and McBeth uses his Leopard3 over his Rocs (He comments about it after they all drive.) Doss is using his Buzzz but it gets that glide from the angle (throwing uphill) of the disc as it starts to slow down. Two camps and I don't think one is better than the other. Just have to throw the shot you are comfortable with.

https://youtu.be/Cuw8bXzPcHI?t=20m9s