Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Eagle vs. Teebird

I'm looking for a go-to overstable fairway driver that won't take a ton of power to fly right.

I currently have a 170g Champ Teebird, but I'm considering taking it out and getting star plastic and lightening up a bit on the weight, maybe to 167g.

I also see that Innova says the Eagle is a little bit easier to throw than the Teebird so I like the thought of that.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2017, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 75 Times in 47 Posts

I bag a star teebird (pretty beat) and a champion Eagle. I would never call the teebird an overstable fairway. It's stable but will turn when thrown with power with decent glide. The Eagle on the other hand is an overstable fairway for me...turns very little with a dependable and hard fade at the end. My Eagle is fairly glideless. I pull out the teebird for tailwinds and shots that need to forward penetrate instead of fade. The Eagle is almost guaranteed to fade nicely. I think they work together well but not that similar discs in general.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

You should give a c-line cd2 a try. They are definitely easy throwers. Very versatile as well. I’ve never thrown an eagle, so I can’t say much there. You might try an s-line cd2 a try as well. They are definitely not quite as stable as the c-line, but won’t turn and burn either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts

Try a Discmania FD. I find them to be a lot straighter than teebirds with little turn and a lot of glide. I'm not a Discmania genius, but I think the FD is a teebird/leopard hybrid.

A fresh champ leopard on second thought is also very straight and can reach good faitway distances. Both are good choices!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 33 Times in 23 Posts

What you want is an Ecostar Teebird. Your welcome
Old 10-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 47 Times in 31 Posts

There are a bunch of long old threads on Teebirds vs. Eagles on the board, search for them to find masses of good information to your question.

Your plan to give a lighter Star Teebird a try will probably work out. My really light (perhaps too light) 158g Star Teebird is so much less overstable than my 175g Champion Teebird. My 170g Star and DX Eagles are beauties as well. For me, my Champion Teebird is my OS, windfighter, utility disc, whereas all of the other mentioned discs I use for ``normal'' drives. This seems to be what you search for.

IMO Teebirds and Eagles aren't that much of a difference, usually both can get the job done. This at least is my conclusion from what I've read in all those old threads here: Some favor the Teebird (a bit better for straight shots), some favor the Eagle (a bit better for flexshots) ... but in the end they don't give or take much. I'm currently bagging both but I could as well go with either one of them.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 70 Times in 55 Posts

A star teebird 166-169g is a great option for what you have described. /thread

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
Try a Discmania FD. I find them to be a lot straighter than teebirds with little turn and a lot of glide. I'm not a Discmania genius, but I think the FD is a teebird/leopard hybrid.

A fresh champ leopard on second thought is also very straight and can reach good faitway distances. Both are good choices!
I like the flight numbers on that FD! I've never really paid too much attention to discmania discs until now. I may get an FD as a point and shoot type of disc, one I can use on tight tunnel shots. Thanks for pointing my attention to this!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Par Member

Niced 47 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
A star teebird 166-169g is a great option for what you have described. /thread
Equally: A Star Eagle 166-169g is a great option for what you have described.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 80 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I bag a star teebird (pretty beat) and a champion Eagle. I would never call the teebird an overstable fairway. It's stable but will turn when thrown with power with decent glide. The Eagle on the other hand is an overstable fairway for me...turns very little with a dependable and hard fade at the end. My Eagle is fairly glideless. I pull out the teebird for tailwinds and shots that need to forward penetrate instead of fade. The Eagle is almost guaranteed to fade nicely. I think they work together well but not that similar discs in general.
This sounds exactly opposite of how I would describe my experience.