Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Travel & Meets > Vacations & Road Trips

Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default Charlotte NC to Greenville, SC trip recommendations.

Going to drive down with a few buddy's for Discapalooza '18.
Picking up one guy at the airport in Charlotte. Might play one course local to that. Then down 85 to Spartansburg/Greenville.

What courses would you play? What courses would you avoid?

Here's some background info.

5 guys. Average to decent players. No "big" arms, prefer wooded/mix courses. (plus it's in late June, shade helps). Elevation changes are not a hindrance.

Schedule:
Thursday Morning: Charlotte Airport (Headed to I-85)
Thursday Afternoon: Spartansburg/Greenville Area (Have an apartment in Grenville that night)
Friday:Greenville/Spartansburg Area (within 30ish mile range of this anyway)
Saturday:Greenville headed back to Charlotte for return flight that afternoon

Thanks!.......................jb
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 75
Niced 51 Times in 28 Posts

I don't know if RL Smith is still open, for sure, but it is about two miles from the airport. It's a "mountainesque" course with some elevation, boulders in the creek, etc.

If it is closed, I'd recommend Hornet Nest. Probably 15 minutes away from the airport.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

I can’t help, but I’m moving to Greenville next month, so I’m commenting to follow the recommendations.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanchette View Post
I don't know if RL Smith is still open, for sure, but it is about two miles from the airport. It's a "mountainesque" course with some elevation, boulders in the creek, etc.

If it is closed, I'd recommend Hornet Nest. Probably 15 minutes away from the airport.

R.L. Smith is a solid course as well as Hornet's Nest. Play them every time we come down to the area. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 921 Times in 478 Posts

I played Timmons, Va Du Mar, and Grand Central Station in the G'ville/S'burg area when I was there last. I enjoyed them all, but if I had to replay some, I'd pick Grand Central and Timmons (more like a longer, more interesting Winton). I know there are new courses in the area on top of that, but have you considered driving south to Newberry to spin Stoney Hill? Truly one of the highlights of that trip.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I played Timmons, Va Du Mar, and Grand Central Station in the G'ville/S'burg area when I was there last. I enjoyed them all, but if I had to replay some, I'd pick Grand Central and Timmons (more like a longer, more interesting Winton). I know there are new courses in the area on top of that, but have you considered driving south to Newberry to spin Stoney Hill? Truly one of the highlights of that trip.
Possibility. Would have to check with the guys and David to see if it's a possibility.
Any idea how long of a drive is it from Greenville to Stoney Hill?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 921 Times in 478 Posts

It's around two hours. I'd recommend a morning round at Grand Central, lunch at a bbq joint, and a nice relaxing drive south. It's not really much difference in drive back to Charlotte either. It's just backroads instead of highway.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,054 Times in 980 Posts

Charlotte is a world unto itself. Lots of great choices, be careful or you'll never get out of town. R.L. Smith (if it hasn't closed yet) and Winget (Plantation Ruins) are very fun courses, without being too brutal.

Greenville-Spartanburg has a bunch, too. I'd recommend Pipeline and Shoally Creek (Va-Du-Mar) in Spartanburg; Pipeline is beautiful, very hilly, wooded; Shoally Creek (used to be Va-Du-Mar, I don't know how it's listed here) has excellent variety of open and woods, and 2 sets of tees. Neither is killer-tough.

In Greenville, Grand Central Station is an excellent course with lots of variety. Timmons is an extremely fun short course, and might be just what you're looking for.

There are more in Greenville-Spartanburg, but I'd make sure you hit those.

Stoney Hill? We're about 1:15 down the road, and then a 2 hour trip to Charlotte---with a choice of interstate or pretty backroads, it's almost identical driving time, either way. It would have to be Saturday morning, with reservations. There are two overlapping layouts; I've been told to quit calling the Garnet Layout the "easy" one, but it's the "less hard" one and might suit. HOWEVER, if you're talking about THIS week (as in, starting tomorrow), be forewarned that a tractor breakdown followed by weeks of rain has left the course ragged; it's not unplayable, but parts of it have knee-high grass (other parts have been mown, and there's no grass in on the wooded holes).

Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,014 Times in 896 Posts

Bamm! PM me and I’ll try my best to meet you guys!

Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Charlotte is a world unto itself. Lots of great choices, be careful or you'll never get out of town. R.L. Smith (if it hasn't closed yet) and Winget (Plantation Ruins) are very fun courses, without being too brutal.

Thanks David. Over the years we have played a huge amount of the courses in the Charlotte area. This year we decided to venture further south to the Greenville area and explore new ground. RL and Winget are some of our favorites and will definitely be in the mix for the Charlotte course.

Greenville-Spartanburg has a bunch, too. I'd recommend Pipeline and Shoally Creek (Va-Du-Mar) in Spartanburg; Pipeline is beautiful, very hilly, wooded; Shoally Creek (used to be Va-Du-Mar, I don't know how it's listed here) has excellent variety of open and woods, and 2 sets of tees. Neither is killer-tough.
In Greenville, Grand Central Station is an excellent course with lots of variety. Timmons is an extremely fun short course, and might be just what you're looking for.

Pipeline/Shoally/Timmons and GCS are all on my short list. Just wanted to make sure I had a few local's preferences as well. They all sound great.Which one of them should I schedule for Thursday afternoon and hope to get the other three in Friday?

There are more in Greenville-Spartanburg, but I'd make sure you hit those.

Of the courses not listed above, which is the next best in case one of these doesn't work out?

Stoney Hill? We're about 1:15 down the road, and then a 2 hour trip to Charlotte---with a choice of interstate or pretty backroads, it's almost identical driving time, either way. It would have to be Saturday morning, with reservations. There are two overlapping layouts; I've been told to quit calling the Garnet Layout the "easy" one, but it's the "less hard" one and might suit. HOWEVER, if you're talking about THIS week (as in, starting tomorrow), be forewarned that a tractor breakdown followed by weeks of rain has left the course ragged; it's not unplayable, but parts of it have knee-high grass (other parts have been mown, and there's no grass in on the wooded holes).
Saturday morning could be a definite possibility, it will depend on the return flight time out of Charlotte. It is scheduled for June 21st-23rd. If the guys think that Stoney Hill is something they want to try, I will give you a shout a week or so ahead of time if that's cool. Thanks for the advice guys!