Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 87 Times in 53 Posts

Super weird, they show up and play for me. It takes a few seconds for me to get in frame?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,756 Times in 1,142 Posts

Guessing they are set to private.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:31 PM
Birdie Member

Right you are Ken.
Took them off private
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Your heels are going around all over the place. Note in the windmill how I'm not turning open, everything stays closed and my heels go right back to where the started. You are turning open and your heels are turning outward instead of inward like in riding the bull. By the time you plant into your front heel your spine is pushed over the top with nose leading chin. Your chin should lead your nose forward so everything is accelerated from underneath the top.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Birdie Member

Makes sense, I think I was trying to combine the windmill with the crush the can feel, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I recorded some hop drives the other day but looking at the video it had all the problems I showed on my very first drives posted here. I was really disappointed so I went out today and re-shot some footage. I focused on two things.
1 no turning before planting the left foot and make sure to plant it at 90 degrees to the throwing line

2 consciously lift up my left leg

Are these good ideas? I don't know, but it looks different at least. Being aware of the left plant angle keeps me from turning back too early. Subsequently lifting the leg seems to get my right knee more locked out. I'm still coming over the top like crazy haha.
Anyway here's some hyzers
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm crushing the can in the windmill there ^. Your heel is spinning down into the plant, instead of falling forward closed the plant aka "weightshift from behind you".

You need to lead the stride with your butt turned to the target so you can load back balanced and not have to push back over the top. Hershyzer, Door Frame and Butt Wipe drills.

Also stop hugging yourself and rounding in the backswing. Your upper arm should be pulled out much wider in door frame drill. Whole body turned much further back through your hips and shoulders. Hang from the door frame relaxed like you could do it forever, don't pull on the door frame with your arm, but with your butt/weight being pushed by the rear foot/instep.

Forward move needs to happen in the backswing:

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 08-19-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Birdie Member

Thanks SW. It may not look like it, but I feel like I'm close. I can sort of get the whip feeling from the dingle arm drill throws. And I kind of like how it feels picking up that left foot in a run up. Just need to fix the rounding, and chain a bunch of feelings together and see where that takes me.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

Something interesting in the Clement video above about the Hogan power move that I didn't pick up before. He mentioned clearing your hips on the backswing is a similar feeling to throwing a punch. Which I had never thought of before. However, if you set up feet about shoulder width apart and then try and throw a punch directly to your left side, your upper arm/shoulder angle will remain around 90 and your torso and hips will rotate, and your right heel will come off the ground.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Birdie Member

Some 90 yard midrange tosses.
I tried to make sure I turned my hip so that I strode "front butt" as SW puts it toward the target.

I do have a question regarding the left leg, so in my very first form check video I loaded everything on the left leg and the knee would be outside of the plant, so I tried to fix that, however in this newest video as I turn the hips back, the knee kind of sneaks out again, which is what I was trying to avoid I thought. So I was curious about turning the hips back while that knee still stays within the plant.

As always, got quite a bit of over the top.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,619 Times in 1,083 Posts

I don't see your knee going outside your back foot. Keep in mind you aren't looking directly side-on to your stance so the perspective also makes the knee look back farther than if the camera was placed ~10' right.

Some of the later throws look like you have nice balance on the hip rather than jamming forward. For example the throw at 3:50 looks really good on the hip to me.

I do think you are picking up the front leg way too intentionally as well as turning back with the disc, rather than using momentum to do both. I would recommend doing the hammer swing X-step that SW just posted. You can feel that time with lifting your front leg, and also as the heavy hammer turns back you keep turning your butt farther away from the target. It should all need to work together, rather than you trying to time it together.