Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 473 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Um, how did you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Gooby, anyone can quote anyone and make it appear they said something they didn't.
It's a flaw in the forum software, been around for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 352 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Surprised if it happens:
-Announcement of DGPT coverage on an additional location other than YouTube.
I came across a DGPT channel on ROKU the other day but there has been no new content since 2017.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 202 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
You're going to boycott DGPT event and coverage? Man, that is pretty intense loyalty, if you don't have a personal investment in the other media coverage organizations or people.

I feel no loyalty, could be a personal shortcoming. I shall not intentionally withhold something I like, from myself. Sounds like the only one coming out on the short end is me, if I do.
I didn't say anything about full on boycotting. Subscriptions are a huge driver for the viability of a youtube channel. If a lot of people voice their opinion by unsubscribing, they'll get the message. I truly hope this works out for the DGPT, it just seems brash, untimely, and if anything else, a bad PR move.

Also, I do personally invest in other media organizations (CCDG, Jomez, and Sexton) through patreon.

Niced: (4)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,119 Times in 1,007 Posts

Somebody help me out. I'm out of the loop---don't follow the DGPT very closely, don't watch videos at all.

Steve Dodge has built the DGPT. The media guys have built their companies. The DGPT and media guys have worked together; some might say they have built a successful DGPT together.

Does this mean the DGPT is obligated to continue that business relationship, forever?

Would the converse apply? If the media guys said they didn't want to be part of the DGPT any more, would people say they are obligated to keep doing it?

Old 11-16-2018, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 233
Niced 901 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Somebody help me out. I'm out of the loop---don't follow the DGPT very closely, don't watch videos at all.

Steve Dodge has built the DGPT. The media guys have built their companies. The DGPT and media guys have worked together; some might say they have built a successful DGPT together.

Does this mean the DGPT is obligated to continue that business relationship, forever?

Would the converse apply? If the media guys said they didn't want to be part of the DGPT any more, would people say they are obligated to keep doing it?
This has kind of been my point all along. Each are a business, investing in what will grow their business model and maximize profits. I don't think either has any obligation to one another, nor do I believe either have an obligation to "grow the sport", outside of where growth will benefit their profits.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,063 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
You're going to boycott DGPT event and coverage? Man, that is pretty intense loyalty, if you don't have a personal investment in the other media coverage organizations or people.

I feel no loyalty, could be a personal shortcoming. I shall not intentionally withhold something I like, from myself. Sounds like the only one coming out on the short end is me, if I do.
So, I mean this with no snark or smart-assed-ness intented, this is a generational thing. This is how Millennials and Gen-Z are, by and large. Not saying we're the only ones who feel this way, but it's very common across many industries for our generation to have a different rubric determining brand loyalties than the Boomers and Gen X.

...and this is not my original thought, this is what I've learned going to advertising/content conferences over the past 2-3 years. It's not native to disc golf either.

I did a flash poll on the FB group "Disc Golf Debate Group" asking people in the moment, who they felt more loyal towards - the media teams or the tour. It's approaching nearly 200 responses, and the ratio is ~25:1, in favor of media teams.

Quote:

No, because they didn't build those brands at the same time. DGPT used the existing audiences built into those media brands, while hyping those benefits publicly in the beginning. Now all of the sudden he's too big for all of us and he's gatekeeping after using our quality work product to launch his startup. That's cutthroat, and disingenuous to younger fans who don't remember a time before DGPT.

If you hear harmony in what the media folks are saying, it's that we don't appreciate the way we've been treated by the DGPT. This is far from the first issue any of us have had with this tour or its management.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
This has kind of been my point all along. Each are a business, investing in what will grow their business model and maximize profits. I don't think either has any obligation to one another, nor do I believe either have an obligation to "grow the sport", outside of where growth will benefit their profits.
Whether they're in it for a profit, or the love and growth of the sport, or---likely---a combination of the two, it still seems the same.

I understand if people are disappointed at this turn of events, thinking they won't enjoy the same (free) product they've had.

I understand if the peanut gallery thinks Dodge is making a mistake (on his own dime); second-guessing is a cherished part of sports fandom.

I'm not sure I understand the bitterness.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
If you hear harmony in what the media folks are saying, it's that we don't appreciate the way we've been treated by the DGPT. This is far from the first issue any of us have had with this tour or its management.
To be fair, it's not the media folks who have me a bit bewildered. It's the rest of the crowd.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 233
Niced 901 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
So, I mean this with no snark or smart-assed-ness intented, this is a generational thing. This is how Millennials and Gen-Z are, by and large. Not saying we're the only ones who feel this way, but it's very common across many industries for our generation to have a different rubric determining brand loyalties than the Boomers and Gen X.

...and this is not my original thought, this is what I've learned going to advertising/content conferences over the past 2-3 years. It's not native to disc golf either.

I did a flash poll on the FB group "Disc Golf Debate Group" asking people in the moment, who they felt more loyal towards - the media teams or the tour. It's approaching nearly 200 responses, and the ratio is ~25:1, in favor of media teams.
No snark perceived. Great point, and I am sure you are correct. Boomer and Gen X should not probably be the target demographic for either. As a Boomer, I indeed find it challenging to understand the entire loyalty issue. I don't even understand the question of favoring one over the other. The only issue seems to be the feeling of entitlement. That the game is entitled to altruistic treatment by anyone in business. I only see the issue as one of companies looking to make money off of disc golf. Maybe younger generations see business as obligated to some greater good. Might even be a great thing. But, I fear those business are in for a rough ride in the real cutthroat world of money making.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Par Member

Niced 77 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:

From a business perspective this is possibly the most neutral and accurate comment I’ve read (with the addition of JVPhobic’s comment about the timing of the announcement).
HOWEVER, from a relationship perspective, it is very understandable why there are so many people expressing pain as to how this process has been handled. It would have taken much more time and effort than the rip off the band aid approach; what if those skills and that time wasn’t available “in-house”?
Growing pains? Keen business? Bad PR? I can’t seem to make up my mind. One thing seems inevitable: This is the most risk I’ve seen Steve Dodge embrace since starting the DGPT and he will suffer the consequences and enjoy the rewards.
Hope for the best for everyone

Niced: (2)