Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,767 Times in 1,187 Posts

Haha that clip was awesome. I saw some guy preseason last year with a super stylish front board, the kind you know looks awesome in pictures, and started wondering why everyone was so good so early in the year. Then I realized it was Sage Kotsenburg.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,900 Times in 1,215 Posts

I've always found it interesting that skate boarders seem to pick up disc golf really quick. I suppose it's much easier transition than snowboarding since their feet aren't strapped in to a heavy board and they push the board with the rear foot.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah there's definitely a balance difference...skateboarding is harder because there is little margin for error. If you get outside your stance you're done, instantly. Like hip or elbow to ground before you can think. On a snowboard you have all that nose/tail to flex and balance you or absorb impacts. You depend on landing a bit on the extra board or leaning into it for different style on tricks, but on a skateboard there's nothing there and the trucks are only like 15" or so apart for typical wheelbase I think...my feet are mounted 23" middle to middle bindings on a snowboard to start with and then you can lean on the board from there. So a pretty huge difference.

The one foot balance thing while pushing definitely helps being centered, but you learn to do weird micro adjustments over your whole foot. You'll have it down the middle of the board but slightly not straight forward...and you can kind of pressure it one way or the other while on one foot to get the slightest turn while pushing. So again you get really comfortable with being flat footed but in weird ways that you can manipulate different parts of the board with different parts of your feet.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,900 Times in 1,215 Posts

That would also explain your tendency for a too wide width of stance, and skateboarders being used to a more narrow upright stance throwing and better dynamics.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:19 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

That make me think .. are you wearing skate shoes for throwing? Kinda looks like it. Maybe something with softer sole would help with being flat-footed. I imagine sidesteps in running shoos would feel horribly unless you are on the balls. The high heel might be detrimental in other ways however, so idk.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Or just put something soft, like a thick sock under the heels
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 202 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I've always found it interesting that skate boarders seem to pick up disc golf really quick. I suppose it's much easier transition than snowboarding since their feet aren't strapped in to a heavy board and they push the board with the rear foot.
My friend is a really good skateboarder and I'll take him out and he crushes forehands. We'll nerd out together where I talk about disc golf form and he talks about Skatebarding. He always talks about the the shoulders and how the weight fallows the shoulders. You just have to have impeccable balance to pull off some of the crazy stuff they do. Also, when they fall it's pavement and steel rather than snow, so you really have to be balanced and nimble even when falling. It's just such an athletic sport.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoeschel View Post
That make me think .. are you wearing skate shoes for throwing? Kinda looks like it. Maybe something with softer sole would help with being flat-footed. I imagine sidesteps in running shoos would feel horribly unless you are on the balls. The high heel might be detrimental in other ways however, so idk.
Unfortunately I think my problems are more ingrained than that would fix, but I'm feeling more new balance points and continual leverage so I'm feeling pretty confident it will get worked out. But it's also showing me just how important balance is at all points, there's no magic "get your arm like this" fix to disc golf.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
He always talks about the the shoulders and how the weight fallows the shoulders.
This is what has been the biggest problem for me mentally. It's the exact opposite logic or goal. Instead of planting your feet like in disc golf to leverage the shoulders back and then launch forward...you try to wind up and lead the shoulders, then release the feet off the ground. When it's in sync you get easy and connected rotation once the lower body catches up after the first 90 degrees or so. So I'm used to leading the upper body with a leverage point on the ground that is kind of left behind...then it snaps/pops and releases, then everything stays together.

It's just so interesting to realize that opposite goal but similar balance. If I just stand on normal ground/shoes and think front board with opposite/pretzel style loading for spin out, then imagine I'm holding a disc with my trailing hand...that's my backswing since I'm left foot forward so right hand has disc. I'm so leveraged and centered. In contrast if I think the stupid overemphasized backswing with my back shoulder blade or elbow way pointed at target, then suddenly think I need to get out of a front board...it'd be bad. I'd have nothing left in my body to spin against...so I guess that means I have nothing to start a throw with.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
You just have to have impeccable balance to pull off some of the crazy stuff they do. Also, when they fall it's pavement and steel rather than snow, so you really have to be balanced and nimble even when falling. It's just such an athletic sport.
I have no idea how pro's can jump down the same stair set repeatedly and just roll out of it, no impact directly to anything. It's really impressive, I'd have a rolled ankle/bruised heel/busted up arm after the first try. They seem to be more likely to get hurt when they expect to land and something goes wrong like the board snaps. Until then they decide halfway through the trick when it's going wrong to kick the board away from them and take a smooth roll out.

On snow you just keep your arms in so you don't bust a wrist or collar bone, and make your surface area kind of big to let the body and board flex absorb it. That would not work on pavement...yikes. Not bracing your body and letting yourself take the hit or go with a tumble instead of fight it is an instinct you have to learn over time, but it's a whole different level on pavement.

Niced: (2)