Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,037 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
The more understable the disc, the more it is affected by bad form.

Honestly, you should continue working with the Comet, Fuse, and BuzzzSS. There's nothing you're going to gain from trying a bunch of different discs here until your form improves.
Ah, that phase where you buy every disc known to man. Broken Shoulder is right. You already have 4 midranges that should be fine for your needs. Keep throwing them until they bow to your will.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Niced 456 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I noticed that...and they don't have as many as I first thought they did. On one website it shows 2 of them as -2/1 while on another website they show those same disc as -1/1: and in looking at the reviews the -1/1 seems to be more accurate!

I'll definitely take a look at the Theory: in your opinion, is Neutron or Plasma the better plastic choice in the Theory?

Thanks!
I prefer Plasma. 1) It looks amazing. 2) It's slightly gummier. Not G-Star soft because the GYRO rim holds up much better, but like a gummy Champ plastic. I prefer that feel.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 82 Times in 37 Posts

One more thought for you fwiw, I have found benefit from discing down to a Proxy for mid range duties and I have been very pleased. Those 75% power touchy mid shots can be very difficult to achieve consistently. Maybe you could get some of these lines from your new Atom or Pure thrown with normal power.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
I prefer Plasma. 1) It looks amazing. 2) It's slightly gummier. Not G-Star soft because the GYRO rim holds up much better, but like a gummy Champ plastic. I prefer that feel.
Thanks for this information...I cannot stand GStar plastic - glad to hear that the Plasma isn't that floppy!

Which Axiom/MVP plastic would you say is most similar to Opto/Lucid/VIP from Trilogy?

I appreciate everyone's help and input! Excited about trying a couple Axiom/MVP disc in the near future!!!

TripleB
Old 05-04-2018, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 175
Niced 621 Times in 413 Posts

I hope others confirm this, cuz all I've thrown from MVP/Axiom are putters (Envy, Ion) and Relay.

First of all, I don't know if plastics really compare. Proton is kinda like Z/champ but seems more rigid, Neutron is kinda like ESP/star, but they just don't seem to affect the flight as much with the outer mold being the same. I see the Theory comes in plasma. I'd suggest that 100%. Though not clear like the plastics you mentioned, it has a more comparable feel.

I was going to suggest Relay, even though you're looking for a midrange. It's flippy but likes to be thrown like you described, at less than full power. The gyro factor seems to help it NOT turn and burn (I still can't throw good rollers with it), but helps it kinda pan out as it continues very straight or with a right turning line. For Relay I'd say Neutron.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I see the Theory comes in plasma. I'd suggest that 100%. Though not clear like the plastics you mentioned, it has a more comparable feel.
What is the Plasma most comparable to from Trilogy or Innova?

From the looks of the numbers it seems like it would be very flexible...I'm only 8 months into disc golf but that's already one of my pet peeves...cannot stand really flexible/floppy discs such as my GStar Thunderbird - even if it flew perfectly I don't think I could stand throwing that plastic!

I appreciate your help!

TripleB
Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 309 Times in 213 Posts

I would grab a Relay if you want to try something gyro. Even if it's doesn't do exactly what you want right away. If given less power it might not hold right turn unless given anhyzer. But it's very work able for shot shaping finesse mid lines. And it's understable in a good intuitive way... User friendly and won't turn and burn. Get a normal weight 170+.

Otherwise a putter. Seems like we all like whatever we've tried for most part. Proxy is my favorite disc. I also really like throwing my envy. Bet if I had tried an ion or atom first those would be favorites.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,415 Times in 1,540 Posts

I haven't thrown any of the MVP flippy mids. But just in general, a turnover midrange or putter throw is an advanced throw...it takes clean form, nose down, and also enough power to get the disc to flip. You have some of the standards people lean on for this shot in the Comet and Fuse, and as you have seen they work sometimes but are unpredictable others, which means it's form for a shot like this. I'm not going to say that an MVP mid won't be better for this shot, because I've never thrown their discs designed to do this, but I just doubt it'll be noticeably better.

If you want to try something MVP go for it, but I'd more lean toward getting their universally loved molds to dip your toes in, rather than test the waters with a disc that is meant to be thrown on a very challenging line and is very arm speed and form dependent. The Envy is a fantastic driving putter for example, that I think exemplifies all of the best aspects of their disc tech...extremely HSS but not a ton of fade, and the fade it has is quite late.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
But just in general, a turnover midrange or putter throw is an advanced throw...it takes clean form, nose down, and also enough power to get the disc to flip.
I guess there is the problem...I have a Star 172g Innova Mirage (-3/0) that I throw almost perfect every single time I throw it - perfect shot shape and usually spot on distance (of course I'm usually only throwing it from 120' and in so less room for error on such a short throw). I just assumed finding a mid that works just as well would be not problem....obviously I was completely wrong!

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

Niced: (2)

Old 05-04-2018, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,415 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I guess there is the problem...I have a Star 172g Innova Mirage (-3/0) that I throw almost perfect every single time I throw it - perfect shot shape and usually spot on distance (of course I'm usually only throwing it from 120' and in so less room for error on such a short throw). I just assumed finding a mid that works just as well would be not problem....obviously I was completely wrong!
Yeah the faster/higher speed the disc the finer line you ride with it being a turnover disc. You have a minimum velocity to get it to go negative in the HSS, and since it is being overpowered, any poor torque or extra wind or anything like that will knock it around like crazy. And with faster discs if you overpower them too much they will then flip really really fast.

Generally I find that putters that work good as turnover driving putters will likely be straight at <150', more power than that they will show turn. If they are too flippy even at very low ranges, then if you throw them with any real velocity they almost become a trick disc with how fast they flip.

For mids I feel that number should be about 250' for a lot of premium plastic mids...below 250' of power they will be dead straight and more power than that they will drift right RHBH. Again, there are discs meant to turn sooner than this, but my point is they become very finicky at a range that many players who are skilled enough to use this shot type would typically throw them. Then look at the pro's in comparison...they use beat in OS mids as their turnover mids since they likely throw them 300+ minimum, or at least put that much power on them and throw them lower in closer ranges.

The easiest discs to learn these shots with is probably baseline or pro/X equivalents...like a DX Roc with some use or an X Buzzz or something like that. Comets of course, but some are more flippy while other X Comets are actually firmly straight.

Anyways, point is that this is not an easy shot to throw, so if you want to try some MVP just get one of the universally loved molds IMO.