Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 AM

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Question for MVP Throwers

Hey guys, I am really starting to love and learn what little MVP plastic i have. I am looking to get a full arsenal and really see what its all about. Something i noticed however over the weekend. When it gets really hot my Eclipse Proton and Proton plastic gets more "malleable" not the right word but you get me.

My question is, does the neutron plastic act the same way or will it hold up to the heat a little better. And overall what is the difference in disc behavior between the two plastics. I have 3 discs and they are all Eclipse proton and soft proton putters.

Thanks for all your help guys!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 42 Times in 24 Posts

I haven't noticed much difference between the plastics. Neutron just feels more like Star or ESP and Proton/Eclipse feels like Z/Champ. Also the Soft Proton/Eclipse just feels like FLX and that. I don't know if the softs fly diff or not.

I like Neutron more than Proton.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find proton to be grippier and I like it for my putters and tangent. All else I prefer the neutron. I really haven't noticed much difference in durability. MVPs seem to me to break in soo slowly.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it is hot and humid enough, all discs will become more malleable. I think the common disc golf term for that would be gummy.

I played a tourney this weekend in 85+ degrees with heavy humidity and was throwing my Neutron volt and Neutron Shock a lot, and didn't see any bad effects. In fact they were by far the drivers I threw most.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 27
Niced 114 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerim View Post
Hey guys, I am really starting to love and learn what little MVP plastic i have. I am looking to get a full arsenal and really see what its all about. Something i noticed however over the weekend. When it gets really hot my Eclipse Proton and Proton plastic gets more "malleable" not the right word but you get me.

My question is, does the neutron plastic act the same way or will it hold up to the heat a little better. And overall what is the difference in disc behavior between the two plastics. I have 3 discs and they are all Eclipse proton and soft proton putters.

Thanks for all your help guys!!
As far as stiffness i will list them in order of most stiff to least stiff:

M Proton
M Eclipse
M Neutron
S Eclipse
S Proton
S Neutron

When its hot and humid i find M Neutron gets very grippy and gummy and much softer.. i like it.
all my midranges are M eclipse and they dont seem to be too effected by hot humid, they stay stiffer and get a little more grippy.

As far as flight characteristics its hard to say for sure but heres my experience:

My Eclipse Tangent is 0 HSS and 1 LSS, but in Neutron it -1 HSS and 0 LSS
a noticeable difference ^

On the other hand my Eclipse Axis is straight/less stable than my neutron axis

it all depends on the PLH, Dome, and the shape of the disc when it is cooling in different plastics may affect it in different ways.

I recommend picking up a Vector or Axis, and a Tangent all in eclipse.
Vector will fly 0 HSS 3 LSS (like a stable roc), Axis will fly 0 HSS 2 LSS (will fly straight slightly longer than a buzzz), Tangent should be 0 HSS 0.5 LSS but some of them have a good touch of fade, its a neutral disc that will hold anny lines for a very long time. I believe almost every line can be hit with a Vector/Tangent combo.. maybe throw your favorite beef in for very windy days (tensor, drone, zone, gator, etc..)

As far as the fairway drivers go, you will want a Volt if you dont already have one.. for most people they fly like -1 HSS and 2 LSS with very forwad penetrating fade that adds good distance. The Amp is very easy to turn and works similar to a leopard or river.. different flight/glide but still an under-stable fairway. The Shock is a GREAT wind fighter, and starts off stable like a seasoned predator, you will get a lot of fade out of this disc, it has 0 HSS turn and 3 LSS Fade. I cannot turn this disc over no matter what, it likes to fade and it does it well. Make sure you get a Shock that isnt a first run.

If you have any questions let me know.. im sure i overlooked a lot
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

Gcrussell regularly plays in temps above 110, and uses almost all MVP. I'd like to hear his take on it.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 27
Niced 114 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Gcrussell regularly plays in temps above 110, and uses almost all MVP. I'd like to hear his take on it.
lol, set a soft neutron ion in temps that hot and watch it puddle top in minutes.. soft neutron is hilarious.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 14
Niced 515 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
lol, set a soft neutron ion in temps that hot and watch it puddle top in minutes.. soft neutron is hilarious.
My buddy aced with the $7 puddle top
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
Woah, careful! The MVP fanboys will have your head on a stake for saying anything bad about their beloved disc maker.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Woah, careful! The MVP fanboys will have your head on a stake for saying anything bad about their beloved disc maker.
no, people just dont like the spread of misinformation. and calling someone a fanboy is nothing but a mindless insult, im surprised its allowed here as many times i've been infracted for saying someone is "bad at disc golf."

soft proton/ neutron discs do not puddle top in minutes in the heat. nor days.

all mvp discs become softer on a hot sunny day, the plastic feels grippier, thats it.