Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,593 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Something I've been thinking about McBeth, in relation to how things work in the professional skateboarding world.

There's generally two kinds of pros in the skate world (with some overlap), the contest pro and the video pro.

In our world, most of the top pros have to win or place well in tournaments in order to keep touring.

Perhaps with McBeth's contract and Sig Disc royalties, he's less concerned with winning every tournament and focusing more on the promotion side of the sport.

Not to say that he doesn't want to win, or lacks the drive to do so, but if you want to see actual outside interest and growth in the sport a figure like him would be the best to accomplish that.

And maybe Innova recognizes that and that's why we see them supporting guys like Jerm, Barsby, Sexton, Eagle (through DM) and even CCDG.

You have a great mix of young athletic types, who are well spoken, along with the "characters" and the promotional outlet.

SpinTV could fit into that equation as well.

I mean Ricky is an amazing player, but IMO he is not a great spokesperson in general for the sport (or his sponsor).

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled stuff.
Good thinking IMO. I have to wonder if Latitude doesn't view Dave as their spokesperson, and you can see the stuff he's doing with his am tour. It would seem to be a good idea to get Ricky trained up some.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 396 Times in 224 Posts

Dave is the team leader fot Lat64 as well as a player. He's kind of a spokesperson for them I guess
Old 02-02-2017, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 595 Times in 251 Posts

On the ladies side, Holly Finley has been making steady progress, as well as Jennifer Allen.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 37
Niced 227 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Eagle is interesting. He starts hot and fades. Ricky seems to hit his stride in the middle. Paul starts cold and finishes hot. Interesting dynamic.
I have to wonder if he over does it on practice rounds. 7 for the AO, in that heat, first event of the year, seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I heard mentions of him playing 10+ practice rounds before tournaments last year. Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,376 Times in 1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.
When I was in the Army, some tried to be vegan... they couldn't make the runs and had to eat at least some fish to get the needed proteins. The point pursuant to this is that Eagle needs to get some proteins in his system to keep up his strength and stamina for tournaments.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,545 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbanbury View Post
I think if someone comes out of nowhere and has a big year it may be Chris Dickerson. 3 full seasons of PDGA play and now 1024 rated. Guy throws frisbees really well.
yep- young and super talented and working hard at it.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonVista View Post
I hope Ohn Scoggins and Jessica Weese come back this year. Both have amazing forehands and Ohn is lights out best ladies putter + personality in the women's game. I think Jessica was injured almost all season, but both looked like the best competition for Cat and Paige a couple years ago.
I had the chance to see Ohn practice putting for a while before her round at worlds a few years ago. In about 20 minutes of putting she missed only a handful of times while putting from everywhere as far out as 60ft. Every putt hit chains; the only ones that didn't stick chained out. It was insane.

The only other person I've seen practice putt like that was Johnny Sias. That dude doesn't miss very often either.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,307 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
When I was in the Army, some tried to be vegan... they couldn't make the runs and had to eat at least some fish to get the needed proteins. The point pursuant to this is that Eagle needs to get some proteins in his system to keep up his strength and stamina for tournaments.

This is just plain wrong and I'm not even Vegan. The Army just didn't supply the necessary vitamins and/or nutrients for that type of diet. My sister has been Vegetarian/Vegan for 20+ years. She never has a problem finding plant based proteins when shopping in the majority of places. Perhaps Eagle did have some issues where they were located.

You do realize there are body-builders who are Vegan correct?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 346 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I have to wonder if he over does it on practice rounds. 7 for the AO, in that heat, first event of the year, seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I heard mentions of him playing 10+ practice rounds before tournaments last year. Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.
He placed second in a razor finish. And 9 strokes ahead of mcbeth... I'd say what he's doing is absolutely working.

Second place here is still really good. This ain't NASCAR

Old 02-03-2017, 04:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,249 Times in 714 Posts

I think any pro mentioned could break out and score a win once in a while, but I think we're going to consistently see Paul, Ricky & Eagle in the top finishers for the next year or so. Simon at this point is the biggest question mark. If physically he has no limitations, then his only limitation is his mental drive. If he (finally??) has the killer instinct to want to win every time he plays, he could still dominate this sport. He's the one to watch early on. Seems like several of the major players in the past year or so seem to think the social side of the sport can have it's own perk$ so they are pushing that more and more. Perhaps some have given up trying to be the best and are more content building long term "branding" in the hopes of financial success in other ventures. (course design, lessons, disc sales, etc) Granted...who could blame them, not that much money in the sport unless you're consistently in the top 3 and playing in alot of tournaments.