Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Maint. & Equipment

View Poll Results: Should our club shorten the teepads on par 3 holes to save $ and put in more pads?
Keep the teepads all the same length 50 48.54%
10' pads on par 3s 19 18.45%
8' pads on par 3s 23 22.33%
Shorten all the pads on the rec course 19 18.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 475 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I had a guy complain once because he liked to run up from the side of the tee...really...you want me take out trees to the right of the tee because you have a goofy sideways run up...lol

Do whatever you want....If a player cannot adjust its a weakness in their game and not a weakness in your design
I like to do that on some holes but I wouldn't go so far as to complain about it, lol.

I think there is a clear line b/w a weakness in your game from not adapting vs unable to adapt b/c you are how god made you.

A 7' guy's stand and deliver is still going to take up more than 3' of width just b/c his legs are so long and his feet are that big. Probably.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 169
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

explain to me where being tall is an advantage over being short on a disc golf course as far as the layout or equipment is involved...

i've got no problem for smaller tees on short holes but once you hit 300' i think you need to either give a player a 4' wide pad or a pad that's even with the ground and space beside the pad to allow for a runup.

you can call it an extra challenge all you want but what it really is, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. if one big guy steps off that pad and it's not level so he rolls/breaks his ankle and you might have a course pulled.

my friend broke his ankle at kentwood because they have dinky 3x5 pads that are in some places 8" off the ground, he stepped off the side, on to a root and snap. luckily he didn't sue the city because he didn't want the course to get in trouble but next time that happens who knows.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Just say no to un-level tees.

Agreed, I don't know how many times my left foot has slipped off the side of a narrower tee.

Narrow tees ≠ safe tees IMO.

I've had some pretty nasty falls this way.

Keep em wide!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 654
Niced 389 Times in 223 Posts

Both of you are talking about unsafe tees that would be unsafe regardless of size. Smaller level tees flush with the surrounding ground are not unsafe, just challenging for some players. There's no PDGA official spec for tee size (like there is for discs and targets) and hard surface tees are optional. So there's little basis for any lawsuit other than against tees of any size that are unsafe for a variety of reasons.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 828
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have never complained about narrow tee pads, but ones that slope up or downhill and ones with big drops off the front are real safety issues, not to mention encouraging erosion.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
Do whatever you want....If a player cannot adjust its a weakness in their game and not a weakness in your design
this sums it up perfectly

i feel this will become a arguing match of this should be this for these reasons Vs. this should be that for those reasons, when it should be up to a course designer to build it, and for us schmucks to huk on it
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 146
Niced 475 Times in 269 Posts

Flush is king but even it doesn't help a narrow tee if the surrounding ground is muddy/wet/icy etc.

I absolutely get what you're saying about the legality of tee sizes, no argument there. I would just like to encourage future tees from not being narrower than ~3.5'. It reminds me of my basketball days where the width of the course is blatantly too narrow for modern athletes and the reluctance to change it b/c "it adds challenge*."

*actually, real reason is b/c they don't want to take out a row of expensive courtside seats
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bigger is always better for teepads. I don't recall ever not using an entire teepad, no matter how big it was. I want it wide and I want it long. Level is nice, but level only lasts so long. When it gets muddy, the dirt around the teepad gets carried out onto the fairway by the players and the pad gradually "rises." Mulch helps, but only so much.

I want a teepad I can start my run up on. I almost always start off the back of the teepad and my first step is onto the pad. That's dumb.

My ideal teepads would be cone shaped. 4'-5' wide at the front, 12' wide at the back, 15-20 feet long. Yea, it's a lot of concrete, but you only make these things once. If the stupid thing is 3x6 feet, I don't even want it there. It's just in the way. Use a dirt pad instead if you can't afford a few more bags of concrete.

Rant over.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 98
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This course doesn't have any problems with level tees. Even with dirt the tees we have now they are almost completely flat. This course has been rated in the top 50 on this site numerous years and that's with all dirt pads. We are just trying to make sure that we make this course the best it can be. This is why we are trying to get the best tees possible.

I too believe bigger is better but unless we get a lot of donations (which we are excepting on our website www.centraliadiscgolf.com) then this simply isn't going to happen.

This course we are discussing is in Centralia IL and called Foundation (look it up and come visit our beautiful course for a great challenge.)

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 742 Times in 400 Posts

I have a personal bias towards 12' tee pads. The course I learned on, and the 3 courses I play 90% of my rounds on, have 12' tee pads, and my footwork has evolved to match them. Shorter pads are, at the least, an annoyance.

Where shorter pads must be installed, my wish is that the back be as flush with the ground as possible to allow starting off the teepad, without having to step up.

I realize this is just a personal problem and not a good designs/standard argument. My best stab at one would be that shorter tees handicap those used to longer ones, while longer tees do not affect thosed used to shorter ones. So, please, 12' whereever possible.