Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 383
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

What Steve said is exactly the points I was going to type when I looked them over.

Great job on them - they are very sharp looking!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

I actually think the green on the first sign looks better because it pops more. The hole number should be definitely be bigger and the distances should be a font that's more visible; maybe take the outline of the numbers away so it's just two tone like the white and black.

Also, if those walkways, parking lots and water is OB it might help to specify that on the map.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 383
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efan08 View Post
Most people that play our courses are casual players and have no idea what levels of courses there are.

Even if our pro tees play at a gold level, people would ask questions on why there is gold on the tee signs and not maroon.
Sounds like a great opportunity for you to contribute in making DG take another step towards growing up and becoming more standardized.....and helping people understand that DG is a real sport.

There is always tons of clamoring by people for the sport to grow and purses to grow and get more exposure and advertising. By doing one small thing like this, you are doing a very important thing towards that goal.

You have already done a big part of this by having realistic pars on the signs....rather than "everyday par" that a beginner can shoot on his 5th time playing. So, great job on that!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 483 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efan08 View Post
Most people that play our courses are casual players and have no idea what levels of courses there are.

Even if our pro tees play at a gold level, people would ask questions on why there is gold on the tee signs and not maroon.

I should be able to make the number a little larger, I think the font is already at 80 haha
By bigger, I mean the number should take up at least half the sign. Preferably two-thirds.

Are the stop signs on campus maroon? Are the ADA parking spots painted maroon? Is the warning label on the liquid nitrogen tank maroon? The tee colors are not decoration - they mean something.

Gold level? Really? You have a lot of 1000-rated players on campus (who also are casual players and have no idea what levels of courses there are)? But, that relates to the design, and you only asked about the signs, so never mind.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 65
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
By bigger, I mean the number should take up at least half the sign. Preferably two-thirds.

Are the stop signs on campus maroon? Are the ADA parking spots painted maroon? Is the warning label on the liquid nitrogen tank maroon? The tee colors are not decoration - they mean something.

Gold level? Really? You have a lot of 1000-rated players on campus (who also are casual players and have no idea what levels of courses there are)? But, that relates to the design, and you only asked about the signs, so never mind.
The only people that know about the different levels of courses are the people on the club team and a few local pros, which are the only ones that ever play the pro pads. Everybody else is afraid of losing a disc in the water.

You do make a good point about the tee signs not being decoration. I will try and make a few changes today and post an edited tee sign.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice job with them. Couple small changes that have already been mentioned: different font style, next tee arrows, o.b./mando notations. I kind of agree about the maroon/standardized colors, but it's not a big deal really.

Add the "feet" symbol or abbreviation to the hole distances.

Consider color blind people that might play the course at some point. Overall, they already know how to deal with a world in shades of gray, but some things like the building rooftops are really going to muddy up their view unless you add some fine outlines...maybe increase contrast on some other various details.

When choosing colors and shades/deepness of color, remember that they're going to fade in the sun over time.

A website address or phone number is a good idea if the local club is interested in attracting new members.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

I agree with some of the previous comments. The biggest tweaks need to be the hole # font size and the overall readability of the sign, especially the pars and distances. Different, blockier fonts will help with distance readability and will survive sun exposer better. Mixing the maroon and black is hard and I know that's why you have the trim around the characters. I think going to a white on maroon and maroon on white for the distance boxes would be simpler and still convey the MSU tone.

I like the bulldog logo but the disc in Bully's mouth washes out a little and even blown up on the actual sign might be difficult to make out, especially the characters on the disc. I know the school has really tight standards for use of any of the M-State logos or their derivatives so you kinda have to make do with what you get. The club name or website by itself isn't a bad idea either.

The sign is a little busy but not horrible. With a couple of tweaks it would be really succinct and efficient for conveying info. I think having the course name on there is ok, but it shouldn't be the dominant info on the sign. Maybe vertical along one side in smaller font? I would personally prioritize the layout like this:

Hole # (at least 25-33% of the sign if not more) This is by far the most important long-distance info on the sign
Par (the next most important)
Distances
Map Info (tees, basket, trees, water, buildings, o.b.)
Course or club info

Overall, looks good. I wish this course had been there when I was at State.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 346
Niced 209 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlothsLair View Post
Looks great, but maybe a less ornate font for the par/distance.
^This.

Quote:
Make the number a LOT bigger - it needs to be visible from the previous basket.
Ehh, I've rarely ever seen that. I would almost suggest adding a second sign with just the hole number before crowding everything else out.

Quote:
Why not use the standardized tee colors and pars?
Because using school colors in place of that adds a personal touch to the course. As long as they have a color designation identifying each tee, how hard is it to tell a short tee from a long tee?

Quote:
The colors on all of those examples of signage are standard everywhere because of government regulations requiring them to be those colors. Conversely, some cities or college campuses do occasionally use different colors on street name signs instead of the usual green. I don't know what the issue would be with using different colors for tees on a disc golf course.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 161 Times in 67 Posts

I would also notate that the parking lot is OB. (Assuming that it is)

The tee sign should call out and special circumstances in play. OB, Mandatories, etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 65
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok here are some revisions I made to the hole 7 tee sign: hole number larger, got rid of the border around the number, changed the maroon to gold (still unsure about it), added O.B. notations, made the course name less dominant, added next tee info., made bulldog smaller (I might can make my own logo now that I've gotten a lot better at Illustrator), and added info. about club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole 7 chadwick.jpg (71.7 KB, 87 views)