Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 207 Times in 142 Posts
Default Simon Lizotte does a Form Critique

This is so much more effective than a clinic. I hope we see more pros do this. There's not a ton of information in here people on this forum doesn't already know, but it's still cool to see.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 69 Times in 41 Posts

That was great. The side by side/frame by frame view makes it much easier to see what's going on. This went right into my DG Playlist.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 163
Niced 120 Times in 74 Posts

Thanks for posting it here.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 PM

Years Playing: 0.6
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

I like how he's bending his wrist up until completing his reach back, in his forward motion it doesn't bend back like at the beginning. I tried it and I think it helps keeping the right shoulder and elbow angle and to rotate my upper body completely instead of stretching.

I'm sure it's not necessary to do it but it might helps some to try it. Also in the video he says he doesn't like moving the disc in front but there is pros doing it with consistency probably because it helps their timing. Philo Brathwaite, Dave Felberg does it, even Paul Mcbeth kind of do it but less obvious. On the other hand, Seppo Paju also curl his wrist a lot too.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 668 Times in 483 Posts

This is cool. I'd like to see more of this. Mcbeth, Doss, Uli, Sexton and many more could offer a unique perspective. Also would be kinda cool to see some FPO players helping the ladies as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
...I hope we see more pros do this.
I'd really like to see some of the Technique & Strategy regulars try this out with a willing subject.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,838 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I'd really like to see some of the Technique & Strategy regulars try this out with a willing subject.
That's what the whole form subsection is about? But it's typically in text/picture format.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
That's what the whole form subsection is about? But it's typically in text/picture format.
Exactly. I'd like to see some of the stuff you guys discuss shown in a side by side video with a volunteer thrower. Sometimes the topics discussed are hard to visualize.

You, SW22, HUB and others have great info, but sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around a text description.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 77 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
You, SW22, HUB and others have great info, but sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around a text description.
There's an awful lot of jargon used that I think must make sense if you already know how to do the thing being described but is really difficult to unpack if you can't do it yet.

Rounding, arc, hit point, power pocket, snap, closed shoulder, plant, brace, heel pivot, wide rail, swim move, etc.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-16-2018, 03:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 216
Niced 1,984 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote:
Exactly. I'd like to see some of the stuff you guys discuss shown in a side by side video with a volunteer thrower. Sometimes the topics discussed are hard to visualize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
There's an awful lot of jargon used that I think must make sense if you already know how to do the thing being described but is really difficult to unpack if you can't do it yet.

Rounding, arc, hit point, power pocket, snap, closed shoulder, plant, brace, heel pivot, wide rail, swim move, etc.
I try to explain terms and demonstrate what not to do, and how to do things in most of my vids which is why they end up so long, even though I try to make them shorter. There is a lot of info my vids and don't expect anyone to remember it all watching it one time. It's like learning all other things, you have to be a student of the game and go over the material a number of times before you really understand it. I probably watched Shawn Clement and Mike Maves videos about 100 times before I really understood them.

I also think a lot of people don't actually do any of the drills and/or do them wrong which doesn't help. Most other sports have live coaches watching players doing drills and correcting them. Disc golf is a rare breed of sport instruction that is mostly online. It's rare I actually get to see anyone record themselves doing drills, and when I do it's often clear the errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

Last edited by sidewinder22; 12-16-2018 at 04:05 AM.