#171  
Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 216
Posts: 13,780
Niced 1,991 Times in 1,266 Posts
Default

Try feet together, no hammer, no disc, and throwing arm starting like below with hand on back of head and other hand by your side. Feel the hand whip at the bottom and elbow rehinge so you pimp slap or fist yourself in the face from that whip momentum and then reverse back to starting position feeling the whip of the hand rehinge your elbow and hand finish on back of head. Don't sway the hips like below, just swivel out of the way.

Reciprocating Elbow Hinge:
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-14-2018, 12:58 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,168
Niced 1,852 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default

Your second video of the pendulum is the best so far, but you still aren't in the final balance position to just feel it.

In the one leg video you have too much hunch forward I think still, and are not far enough to the front of the teepad to get head fully over foot. Re-watch the video clip I posted a while ago and try to copy how I can lift my rear leg off the ground and have it move around with me as a counterweight. Right now your rear leg isn't balancing you, it's just somewhere in space and you're kind of ignoring its presence.

This image is the best way I can try to describe the difference. Your rear leg is just there, and you are swinging the arm while trying to keep your torso upright and balanced on the leg. If your torso gets too far forward then you collapse because the rear leg isn't helping you. I see this on your pendulum as well when you move to the right, that if there is too much momentum you'll get pulled into a collapse.

Compared to SW, he lets his butt counterweight on the backswing and the rear leg is allowed to rotate so the heel comes down...if you are set up so the rear leg moves with you when lifted off the ground as in my video clip, then when you set it so the toes touch down then hopefully the leg will rotate in this same manner during the backswing. You can then see in the forward swing that he allows his torso to come much farther forward in space because he trusts that his leg will counterbalance himself, maintaining the average mass over his plant leg. It feels very unrestricted.

I realize I'm comparing your pendulum back and forth to a fully committed throw, but the same balance applies.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg One Leg Compare.jpg (101.8 KB, 72 views)

Niced: (1)

Last edited by slowplastic; 12-14-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM
ranger ranger is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,412
Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Your second video of the pendulum is the best so far, but you still aren't in the final balance position to just feel it.

In the one leg video you have too much hunch forward I think still, and are not far enough to the front of the teepad to get head fully over foot. Re-watch the video clip I posted a while ago and try to copy how I can lift my rear leg off the ground and have it move around with me as a counterweight. Right now your rear leg isn't balancing you, it's just somewhere in space and you're kind of ignoring its presence.

This image is the best way I can try to describe the difference. Your rear leg is just there, and you are swinging the arm while trying to keep your torso upright and balanced on the leg. If your torso gets too far forward then you collapse because the rear leg isn't helping you. I see this on your pendulum as well when you move to the right, that if there is too much momentum you'll get pulled into a collapse.

Compared to SW, he lets his butt counterweight on the backswing and the rear leg is allowed to rotate so the heel comes down...if you are set up so the rear leg moves with you when lifted off the ground as in my video clip, then when you set it so the toes touch down then hopefully the leg will rotate in this same manner during the backswing. You can then see in the forward swing that he allows his torso to come much farther forward in space because he trusts that his leg will counterbalance himself, maintaining the average mass over his plant leg. It feels very unrestricted.

I realize I'm comparing your pendulum back and forth to a fully committed throw, but the same balance applies.

I know exactly what part you are talking about. Should I let my rear leg move like that in the OLD set up? I guess I thought I was supposed to keep it glued in place. I'll rewatch that vid
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 AM
ranger ranger is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,412
Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Try feet together, no hammer, no disc, and throwing arm starting like below with hand on back of head and other hand by your side. Feel the hand whip at the bottom and elbow rehinge so you pimp slap or fist yourself in the face from that whip momentum and then reverse back to starting position feeling the whip of the hand rehinge your elbow and hand finish on back of head. Don't sway the hips like below, just swivel out of the way.

Reciprocating Elbow Hinge:
How's my arm moving? Gravity pulling it down?
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 216
Posts: 13,780
Niced 1,991 Times in 1,266 Posts
Default

Gravity assist.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,168
Niced 1,852 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I know exactly what part you are talking about. Should I let my rear leg move like that in the OLD set up? I guess I thought I was supposed to keep it glued in place. I'll rewatch that vid
Yes, when you are set up lift the leg off the ground just by one to a few inches. Get set up and balanced so it rotates with you.

Then set the toes touching the ground while maintaining the same setup. Now when you rotate the upper body and arm, the leg should rotate and go heel-down in backswing, in forward swing the the heel should lift up and eventually the foot will want to lift off the ground and extend away from you to the countered position SW is in, in a full follow through.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:46 AM
ranger ranger is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,412
Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-15-2018, 03:30 AM
slowplastic slowplastic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,168
Niced 1,852 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default

Definitely the best yet. You're getting to the front leg now, and getting weight onto it sooner.

I like the forward swings from :06-:10 in the video the best. You let the arm release away from you and just try to get onto the front leg rather than overdoing any rotation.

As you increase intensity from there, you have a bit more torso/weight drop while you are on the plant leg, when really you should feel like you are getting a bit taller on the leg. It should feel like the leg pushing/extending on the ground is pulling the arm through, so driving the torso down harder is kind of counterproductive. As well as the intensity ramps up for the rest of the swings, you get more torso opening/rotation. This would lead to some big griplocks, and in some of these swings you can also see that you pre-open the front side as it is coming down. Perhaps there is too much rear leg push/rotation, rather than just a sideways move to get you to the plant leg...try to feel if you are leaving your left foot and driving from it differently than you do from your right foot/leg on the backswing.

So try to recreate the feel of those first few swings where you are letting the arm pendulum away from you with yours torso more parallel...the extension and follow through can pull you more open, but don't try to open the torso as part of the power source. Keeping sideways is like having the "closed shoulder" that is always talked about.

Also, remember that you are set up parallel and swinging the pendulum along your stance. If you now imagine more where the release would be should you let go, it would be like 20 degrees closed of how you are set up. So suddenly your plant foot placement will appear 90 degrees to that release line, and your shoulders/upper body will seem closed.

Now that you have this pendulum getting more to the front leg, let the follow through pull you to chest facing forward/targetward and let your rear foot drag forward how it wants to. See how your finish position compares to pro follow throughs. This should help you feel if you are in balance upright on the plant leg, and with keeping your head up/in balance so that you can keep moving forward and rise up as needed at the release/hit.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 216
Posts: 13,780
Niced 1,991 Times in 1,266 Posts
Default

Get something longer and make a 360 degree club swing start to finish. You are turning your front hip/shoulder way too open before your arm whips and your swing is really short/rounded instead of making it as long as you can linearly then follow thru rotationally. Keep your shoulder moving straighter down the line. Watch how my shoulder doesn't turn around open until the follow thru, then chest faces the target.


Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #180  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 AM
RFrance RFrance is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Tampa, FL
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 858
Niced 169 Times in 107 Posts
Default

SW, in your new video you demonstrate that the "Front toes should go airborne while the heel stays on the ground." https://youtu.be/7IFO7J3AV5Y?t=344 . This seems completely different than crushing the can. Is this just for the drill; standstill vs x-step; or something new?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titanic Declarkus Discs 14 03-15-2015 05:47 PM
Original Ript Deck JacobJohn The Marketplace 1 10-30-2013 02:28 PM
Derek Jeter Upper Deck SP rookie Card deadbody The Flea Market 7 12-24-2010 12:07 PM
Chairs on Sale!!! XxInnovaxX Discs 24 07-18-2009 08:28 PM
Tripod chairs JR Stengele Other Gear 2 09-24-2008 01:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.