#1  
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
abelrod abelrod is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Heavy putters

well here is the deal i putt with a soft challenger 167-169 and its good for putt under 20 ft and anything past that is not as consistent so when i miss in a practice round i take out my 177 z buzzz and they go in. but i want to stay with the challenger as a putter. so I'm thinking of getting a max weight challenger. so any advice on putter weights
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Pastime's Avatar
Pastime Pastime is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fenton, Michigan
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 23
Posts: 79
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I just recently got and fell in love with a 172g Warlock. I had a 175g Avair and a 174g Juju and they all felt great. I haven't had a chance to putt with a lighter putter before but the mid 170's seam to work for me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 5,081
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelrod View Post
well here is the deal i putt with a soft challenger 167-169 and its good for putt under 20 ft and anything past that is not as consistent so when i miss in a practice round i take out my 177 z buzzz and they go in. but i want to stay with the challenger as a putter. so I'm thinking of getting a max weight challenger. so any advice on putter weights
What's inconsistant about it? It could be the stiffness of the putter and not the weight. Generally people find that lighter putters are better for longer putts because they hold their line a bit better and are easier to throw a bit farther. They also find that stiffer putters are better because it's much easier to get a consistant release than it is with a softer putter.

My advice is to use a 165-168g, stiff putter for putting, a 170-172g for approaches and a 175g for drives. The light putters carry better for putts, the mid weights carry better for shorter shots, but are still predictable and the heavier putters just drive better than their lighter counterparts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Midnightbiker's Avatar
Midnightbiker Midnightbiker is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Humble, TX
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 59
Posts: 8,695
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I just discoverd the Discraft APX. Give one of those a try.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 AM
DGtourist's Avatar
DGtourist DGtourist is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheyenne WY
Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 188
Posts: 821
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I would like to throw the 10m brick.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
johnt1969 johnt1969 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 83
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you can make every putt with the Buzz then putt with that. Who cares what disc it is as long as it goes in. I use a Classic Roc to putt for anything under about 30 and then I go to either a 20 year old Aero or an Aviar. If there's wind I use a nice stable Magnet.

Don't fall in love with something because of shape, color, name, description or manufacturer (unless they're paying you). If you putt well with a knife edged driver then putt with that. The only important thing is that it goes in the basket.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 5,081
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt1969 View Post
The only important thing is that it goes in the basket.
Wouldn't that depend on how often it goes in the basket, too? If a miss means two more putts a larger percent of the time then that could have an effect on how you score in the long run. Even if you putting percent is slightly better, your scores could be higher if a miss won't guarantee you a make for the next shot. If you can learn to putt with a disc that will always leave you a gimme when you miss then you'll be better off in the long run.
Reply With Quote
 

  #8  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM
abelrod abelrod is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
What's inconsistant about it? It could be the stiffness of the putter and not the weight. Generally people find that lighter putters are better for longer putts because they hold their line a bit better and are easier to throw a bit farther. They also find that stiffer putters are better because it's much easier to get a consistant release than it is with a softer putter.

My advice is to use a 165-168g, stiff putter for putting, a 170-172g for approaches and a 175g for drives. The light putters carry better for putts, the mid weights carry better for shorter shots, but are still predictable and the heavier putters just drive better than their lighter counterparts.

hey i took that advice and got a Z magnet and it feels great in my hand and im feeling more confident with it, thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy BB's and a Heavy Proto ill4mation The Marketplace 1 01-12-2013 11:25 PM
Vibram putters, MVP putters, Champ Aviars wisco The Marketplace 2 09-07-2012 09:38 PM
Push Putters, Spin Putters - What do you prefer? Osmo Discs 30 06-18-2012 07:13 AM
heavy heavy wizard bomb1985 The Marketplace 2 06-17-2012 05:11 AM
Heavy Putters greg_lange Discs 16 04-02-2011 12:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.