#1611  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,884
Niced 926 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Vibram is a mainstream sporting goods company. I can easily see a big company purchasing one of the existing disc manufacturers rather than creating their own disc business out of whole cloth.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #1612  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM
snappyj snappyj is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Courses Played: 47
Posts: 90
Niced 156 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Why is everyone so skeptical of Paul going to Discraft? Have they not been the 2nd biggest manufacturer for like 35 years?

Reply With Quote
  #1613  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Courses Played: 91
Posts: 438
Niced 386 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I can’t say I’ve paid much attention, any other pros putt with mcpros that could scoop them up as their 2019 tour series disc?

Or it could just become a stock release, charge regular pro plastic pricing and not have to cough any cash up to a player.

The question is would people buy them if they were just a plain Jane putter you could get at any time with a boring stamp?
I think people will still buy them, as they are a very consistent putter, that is both stiff and slick for clean release. I believe Anthony Barella putts with them, maybe he could get a nice tour series AB-Pro Aviar.
Reply With Quote
  #1614  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,485
Niced 475 Times in 282 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
To those people who think he is going off to design his own discs, do you guys really think it'd be that easy? Experienced engineers struggle with R&D stuff, let alone a random Joe. Just because you can throw a disc doesn't mean you know how to design one. How come tiger or Phil never designed their own golf clubs? Same thing. Not taking anything away from Paul, but let's think this through.
If this was to move forward, I'm guessing it would primarily be "McBranding" with Paul giving some input as to the discs he likes, etc, and teaming up with an existing manufacture/designer, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #1615  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,485
Niced 475 Times in 282 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Ian would have a serious hit to his reputation if he spoke without solid knowledge. It appears he was playing dumb before. I would guess he has been given a green-light to officially "leak" the deal.

I give Paul either signing with Discraft, or getting an imprint from Discraft, at about 98%.
I have yet to see anywhere a flat out statement of fact from Ian, I don't think we will tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #1616  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
discgolfer25 discgolfer25 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 279
Niced 107 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I have yet to see anywhere a flat out statement of fact from Ian, I don't think we will tbh.
My guess is you're not going to hear anyone make an official statement until Paul's contract with Innova ends.

Reply With Quote
  #1617  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,694
Niced 1,187 Times in 567 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyj View Post
Why is everyone so skeptical of Paul going to Discraft? Have they not been the 2nd biggest manufacturer for like 35 years?
I can only speak from my observation in my area, so take that with a grain of salt.

In my area, Discraft is considered the white trash of Disc golf. An old company that has kind of fallen by the way side in it's presence. The only people around me that throw exclusively Discraft are old timers and the guys who need rides to league because of one too many DWIs.

If Discraft wants to up their game, increase they're media presence and create a new image, Paul could be the ticket. And I for one would like to see Discraft up it's efforts with some new plastics and a more professional look.

Some see Paul moving to Discraft as a step backwards (or sideways at best), but I think they're not seeing the bigger future possible picture. Then they're are those fan boys that just can't accept change.

I'll admit I was shocked, I thought Paul would throw Innova for life like Climo, but I got over it. One of the reasons I never gravitated towards any hero worship, they'll always let you down. Nobody can live up to someone elses expectations.

I don't know what the future hold for Paul, but I wish him the best and will still look forward to watching him play, even if it is with Discraft. I'll have to reconsider that statement however if he moves to DD!

Reply With Quote
  #1618  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Chaser0909's Avatar
Chaser0909 Chaser0909 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 201
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 110
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Vibram is a mainstream sporting goods company. I can easily see a big company purchasing one of the existing disc manufacturers rather than creating their own disc business out of whole cloth.
Not really a sporting goods company. They are in the shoe business. The great majority of their $ from soles sold though the military and other shoe manufacturers like Adidas, etc.

I was on the DG team for 3.5 years, and had some good conversations with Steve, and later more in depth business conversations with Jeff when he took over. It was not a good decision for Vibram to be in the DG world, and not because of the niche group of DGers that had an opinion of vibram.

The long and short of it is companies that big (nike, vibram, etc) are all going to make financial decisions first, and I don't see them entering a small market like disc golf. It was a failed experiment from vibram. Nike got out off golf even though then were profiting 20M (according to Jeff) because they could profit more by doing other things.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1619  
Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 5,884
Niced 926 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser0909 View Post
Not really a sporting goods company. They are in the shoe business. The great majority of their $ from soles sold though the military and other shoe manufacturers like Adidas, etc.

I was on the DG team for 3.5 years, and had some good conversations with Steve, and later more in depth business conversations with Jeff when he took over. It was not a good decision for Vibram to be in the DG world, and not because of the niche group of DGers that had an opinion of vibram.

The long and short of it is companies that big (nike, vibram, etc) are all going to make financial decisions first, and I don't see them entering a small market like disc golf. It was a failed experiment from vibram. Nike got out off golf even though then were profiting 20M (according to Jeff) because they could profit more by doing other things.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
IMO Vibram went about it exactly the wrong way- trying to create something from whole cloth with no one on the payroll with any real experience in the world of disc manufacturing. Steve could sell ice to Eskimos in the middle of winter but is not exactly a details guy. Buying a company like Discraft (just as an example) and retaining much of what they already do would make more sense to me.

Your point about Nike and the golf market is well taken though.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1620  
Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Golden Tuna's Avatar
Golden Tuna Golden Tuna is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 600
Niced 256 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The major argument against a mainstream sporting goods company, like Nike or Callaway getting into DG, is that they would INSTANTLY lose credibility with the ball golf market, which is an infinitely larger market.
Hopefully, many years down the road, John Q Public will not see us a bunch of pot-smoking weirdos, but Mr Public definitely sees us that way now.
No way any golf equipment mfr is getting into DG.
I do not have access to any data that would suggest Calloway (or the like) would lose credibility with traditional ball golfers by diversifying their product portfolio, but it seems like a stretch (to me)...
I agree that a Nike, Adidas, Under Armor would likely have an easier road to capturing market share than a Calloway or Titleist.

That said, the innovation adoption curve suggests disc golf is likely in the middle of phase III (early majority). The next step is 'late majority' which likely brings a lot of new players to the manufacturing side.

Disc golf is growing quickly enough that we're garnering more attention from mainstream manufacturers. And, though the roots of the sport have an element of hippies and their pastimes, today's disc golf is vastly different (especially to John Q Public). Consider that most casual fans do not follow the sport outside what is posted to Jomez, CCDG, etc. So, they are actually seeing the professional side of it, not the deadbeat side you referenced.

Also, while I am familiar that most disc golfers seem to think ball golfers hate us, I've never seen evidence of that 'truth'. I'm not saying the stereotype doesn't exist. I AM saying that I believe those prejudices are based in social/economic class more than psychographic data such as recreational hobbies...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread Bgso General Disc Golf Chat 882 03-26-2018 12:56 AM
The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread Aim For The Chains General Disc Golf Chat 1267 07-15-2017 06:23 AM
The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread bhadella General Disc Golf Chat 1046 11-11-2016 10:59 PM
Thoughts on Devan Owens switching sponsors SteezeOG General Disc Golf Chat 18 03-02-2014 11:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.