Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 926 Times in 432 Posts

Vibram is a mainstream sporting goods company. I can easily see a big company purchasing one of the existing disc manufacturers rather than creating their own disc business out of whole cloth.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 156 Times in 40 Posts

Why is everyone so skeptical of Paul going to Discraft? Have they not been the 2nd biggest manufacturer for like 35 years?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 91
Niced 386 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I can’t say I’ve paid much attention, any other pros putt with mcpros that could scoop them up as their 2019 tour series disc?

Or it could just become a stock release, charge regular pro plastic pricing and not have to cough any cash up to a player.

The question is would people buy them if they were just a plain Jane putter you could get at any time with a boring stamp?
I think people will still buy them, as they are a very consistent putter, that is both stiff and slick for clean release. I believe Anthony Barella putts with them, maybe he could get a nice tour series AB-Pro Aviar.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 475 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
To those people who think he is going off to design his own discs, do you guys really think it'd be that easy? Experienced engineers struggle with R&D stuff, let alone a random Joe. Just because you can throw a disc doesn't mean you know how to design one. How come tiger or Phil never designed their own golf clubs? Same thing. Not taking anything away from Paul, but let's think this through.
If this was to move forward, I'm guessing it would primarily be "McBranding" with Paul giving some input as to the discs he likes, etc, and teaming up with an existing manufacture/designer, etc.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 475 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Ian would have a serious hit to his reputation if he spoke without solid knowledge. It appears he was playing dumb before. I would guess he has been given a green-light to officially "leak" the deal.

I give Paul either signing with Discraft, or getting an imprint from Discraft, at about 98%.
I have yet to see anywhere a flat out statement of fact from Ian, I don't think we will tbh.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 107 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I have yet to see anywhere a flat out statement of fact from Ian, I don't think we will tbh.
My guess is you're not going to hear anyone make an official statement until Paul's contract with Innova ends.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,187 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyj View Post
Why is everyone so skeptical of Paul going to Discraft? Have they not been the 2nd biggest manufacturer for like 35 years?
I can only speak from my observation in my area, so take that with a grain of salt.

In my area, Discraft is considered the white trash of Disc golf. An old company that has kind of fallen by the way side in it's presence. The only people around me that throw exclusively Discraft are old timers and the guys who need rides to league because of one too many DWIs.

If Discraft wants to up their game, increase they're media presence and create a new image, Paul could be the ticket. And I for one would like to see Discraft up it's efforts with some new plastics and a more professional look.

Some see Paul moving to Discraft as a step backwards (or sideways at best), but I think they're not seeing the bigger future possible picture. Then they're are those fan boys that just can't accept change.

I'll admit I was shocked, I thought Paul would throw Innova for life like Climo, but I got over it. One of the reasons I never gravitated towards any hero worship, they'll always let you down. Nobody can live up to someone elses expectations.

I don't know what the future hold for Paul, but I wish him the best and will still look forward to watching him play, even if it is with Discraft. I'll have to reconsider that statement however if he moves to DD!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 201
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Vibram is a mainstream sporting goods company. I can easily see a big company purchasing one of the existing disc manufacturers rather than creating their own disc business out of whole cloth.
Not really a sporting goods company. They are in the shoe business. The great majority of their $ from soles sold though the military and other shoe manufacturers like Adidas, etc.

I was on the DG team for 3.5 years, and had some good conversations with Steve, and later more in depth business conversations with Jeff when he took over. It was not a good decision for Vibram to be in the DG world, and not because of the niche group of DGers that had an opinion of vibram.

The long and short of it is companies that big (nike, vibram, etc) are all going to make financial decisions first, and I don't see them entering a small market like disc golf. It was a failed experiment from vibram. Nike got out off golf even though then were profiting 20M (according to Jeff) because they could profit more by doing other things.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 926 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser0909 View Post
Not really a sporting goods company. They are in the shoe business. The great majority of their $ from soles sold though the military and other shoe manufacturers like Adidas, etc.

I was on the DG team for 3.5 years, and had some good conversations with Steve, and later more in depth business conversations with Jeff when he took over. It was not a good decision for Vibram to be in the DG world, and not because of the niche group of DGers that had an opinion of vibram.

The long and short of it is companies that big (nike, vibram, etc) are all going to make financial decisions first, and I don't see them entering a small market like disc golf. It was a failed experiment from vibram. Nike got out off golf even though then were profiting 20M (according to Jeff) because they could profit more by doing other things.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
IMO Vibram went about it exactly the wrong way- trying to create something from whole cloth with no one on the payroll with any real experience in the world of disc manufacturing. Steve could sell ice to Eskimos in the middle of winter but is not exactly a details guy. Buying a company like Discraft (just as an example) and retaining much of what they already do would make more sense to me.

Your point about Nike and the golf market is well taken though.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 137
Niced 256 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The major argument against a mainstream sporting goods company, like Nike or Callaway getting into DG, is that they would INSTANTLY lose credibility with the ball golf market, which is an infinitely larger market.
Hopefully, many years down the road, John Q Public will not see us a bunch of pot-smoking weirdos, but Mr Public definitely sees us that way now.
No way any golf equipment mfr is getting into DG.
I do not have access to any data that would suggest Calloway (or the like) would lose credibility with traditional ball golfers by diversifying their product portfolio, but it seems like a stretch (to me)...
I agree that a Nike, Adidas, Under Armor would likely have an easier road to capturing market share than a Calloway or Titleist.

That said, the innovation adoption curve suggests disc golf is likely in the middle of phase III (early majority). The next step is 'late majority' which likely brings a lot of new players to the manufacturing side.

Disc golf is growing quickly enough that we're garnering more attention from mainstream manufacturers. And, though the roots of the sport have an element of hippies and their pastimes, today's disc golf is vastly different (especially to John Q Public). Consider that most casual fans do not follow the sport outside what is posted to Jomez, CCDG, etc. So, they are actually seeing the professional side of it, not the deadbeat side you referenced.

Also, while I am familiar that most disc golfers seem to think ball golfers hate us, I've never seen evidence of that 'truth'. I'm not saying the stereotype doesn't exist. I AM saying that I believe those prejudices are based in social/economic class more than psychographic data such as recreational hobbies...