Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts

One round you get a casual group and leaves blowing is considered distracting. Next round winning the tournament is at stake and everyone is looking to play head games.

When things get competitive the rules need to be clear and not left to interpretation.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 82 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
One round you get a casual group and leaves blowing is considered distracting. Next round winning the tournament is at stake and everyone is looking to play head games.

When things get competitive the rules need to be clear and not left to interpretation.
That's pretty similar to MMA where the ref allows champ matches far more time without action.

I think, in general, a rule as strict as 30 seconds should have a basis in real events. I don't know of any cases of any part of this rule being gamed badly enough to justify them.

Also, there's a rule that you must attempt to maintain pace with the card in front of you, so gaming this rule would put your entire card at risk of penalty.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 21
Niced 35 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I've always considered choosing a shot/disc as part of arriving at your lie.
Depending on what you mean, maybe. If you mean that your 30 seconds do not start until you have decided, you are wrong, but if you mean that you use the time it takes to arrive at your lie to decide that, obviously that is your prerogative unless that you take longer than reasonable to get to your lie because of it. But obviously, sometimes you cannot do these things before you see your exact lie, and then you in theory only have your 30 seconds to decide what to do and do it. In reality, I think you get a little leeway from your card mates, if you are in a tough spot. Especially if you are not taking excessive time on all other shots. But with a strict interpretation of the rules, you have 30 seconds to tap in from under the basket, to tee off or to throw from deep in a bush with no line out.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
Depending on what you mean, maybe. If you mean that your 30 seconds do not start until you have decided, you are wrong, but if you mean that you use the time it takes to arrive at your lie to decide that, obviously that is your prerogative unless that you take longer than reasonable to get to your lie because of it. But obviously, sometimes you cannot do these things before you see your exact lie, and then you in theory only have your 30 seconds to decide what to do and do it. In reality, I think you get a little leeway from your card mates, if you are in a tough spot. Especially if you are not taking excessive time on all other shots. But with a strict interpretation of the rules, you have 30 seconds to tap in from under the basket, to tee off or to throw from deep in a bush with no line out.
I disagree. I feel that's asinine and detracts from the game. If you truly believe what you're saying, all those "leeway giving" card mates should be disqualified.

To have a strict interpretation, there would have to be a strict definition of "arrive at your lie", which I am not finding.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 55 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
I disagree. I feel that's asinine and detracts from the game. If you truly believe what you're saying, all those "leeway giving" card mates should be disqualified.

To have a strict interpretation, there would have to be a strict definition of "arrive at your lie", which I am not finding.
Possible reading comprehension failure on my part, what are you disagreeing with?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Possible reading comprehension failure on my part, what are you disagreeing with?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
His punitive definition of "arrive at your lie", or what can happen before arriving at your lie has occured. I don't see anything in the rules that says exactly what that means. In all cases of reasonable play, I've observed the 30 second clock not starting until there has been reasonable time to get the correct disc then arrive at your lie. Only non-golfing argumentativeness, sadism, or competitive advantage has ever resulted in not having time outside of the 30 seconds to choose a line/disc.

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 12-10-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.7
Courses Played: 324
Niced 1,167 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
... has ever resulted in not having time outside of the 30 seconds to choose a line/disc.
Huh? Isn't that what the 30 seconds is for?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 79 Times in 45 Posts

I was just reading through this entire thread, and it's mostly talk about the 30 second rule, but isn't this the meat and potatoes of the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
Aside from the 30 second rule, is there an issue of fair play? Part of playing doubles is strategy. If you know that your partner shanked his drive, you might play a more conservative drive. If they're parked, you would "go for it"...
This is what I thought when I read the OP, but it seems like it got buried under a different discussion.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Huh? Isn't that what the 30 seconds is for?
The people I play with and myself agree that making the shot/disc choice is part of the reasonable amount of time to arrive at your lie; therefore, preceding the 30 second clock starting.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 88 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I was just reading through this entire thread, and it's mostly talk about the 30 second rule, but isn't this the meat and potatoes of the question:

This is what I thought when I read the OP, but it seems like it got buried under a different discussion.
TLDR: if losing a disc on a blind shot was an issue then one spotter should be sent for the entire card. If the point was just to determine the first player's lie to help the partner choose what/how to throw it was definitely unsportsmanlike and likely illegal. I think that's the general consensus at least.

Niced: (2)