Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 216
Niced 1,991 Times in 1,266 Posts

Finish with your feet coming together instead of spreading apart.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,851 Times in 1,230 Posts

Your rear knee should get pulled to your front knee is another way of feeling that. Trailing foot should get lifted off the ground because it is being pulled from the follow through or arm momentum.

It looks to me like you lead the motions with your head or upper spine. Feel like it's your lower spine or your belly button height that you are moving, while keeping your spine in balance and your head balanced on your spine. If you move your mass which is lower body, then the rest of you will move. This is the "shift from behind" concept. To me it feels like my lower spine maybe 6" above my tailbone that I'm focusing on, since I'm turned backward before moving laterally.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 339 Times in 211 Posts

Very helpful. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

I think I need to synch back up with the vid

What am I actually trying to do?

Reciprocating drill or don't spill the water?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

I hesitate to contribute because my knowledge is way behind everybody else here - feel free to just ignore.

But, I get the feeling from your video you're trying to produce the follow through and ending position. Correct follow through is the inevitable result of a correct swing, it's a good check; it's not the way you do the swing. At least, that's true in every other athletic action.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
I hesitate to contribute because my knowledge is way behind everybody else here - feel free to just ignore.

But, I get the feeling from your video you're trying to produce the follow through and ending position. Correct follow through is the inevitable result of a correct swing, it's a good check; it's not the way you do the swing. At least, that's true in every other athletic action.
I think this is correct. I'm thinking/trying too hard.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I think I need to synch back up with the vid

What am I actually trying to do?

Reciprocating drill or don't spill the water?
I'd say back and forth pendulum, as well as trying to find a good starting position/balance. Don't think about the rear arm at all at this point, just don't let it be destructive/interfere. Just feel the rear leg/foot release off the ground and get pulled with you, let it do whatever it wants. If it doesn't look right that's because something else isn't right.

Also try with right arm, try with left arm, try with both hands like golf swing. If you're in balance then all of these should work, keeping in mind your counterweight and swing goals are slightly different between these. If one of them feels significantly worse than others it should help you feel where it is in your swing or balance point.

For example if I have both arms on a golf club and swing it righty, I'm keeping in mind that the swing will happen on the left leg as a plant and the "ball" would be closer to my left foot/instep. Then if I were to swing it back as a lefty, the plant would be my right leg and the ball would be nearer my right foot/instep. So continue to let the balance flow to the planting leg. For me, trying to swing as a lefty golfer showed me how bad my balance was in that direction, which happens to be the direction we throw RHBH disc golf.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

I'm liking your backswing a lot. So I'll try to look at the difference between backswing and forward swing.

In the backswing you plant the left leg while the arm is still way up beside you at the apex. When the arm starts moving down the disc is lagging back and loose, your wrist is still released/open of the forearm. You're not telling the disc where to be, you are letting the arm swing back with its own momentum. You may be leaving the right leg a bit early but I'm not sure...I always leave/lift the right leg early in my backswing. When the disc is near the apex of the backswing I can draw a line straight up from your left/back foot to your head, and you are upright in balance on this leg.

Now look at the forward swing. If you pause the video when you start having weight on the plant/right leg, the disc is basically at the bottom of the arc. So now you don't have any weight to start the forward motion...you're moving forward at the same time as the disc and just landing around the bottom arc or in a throw this would be the outward swing and just before the hit point.

I also think you are opening your torso a bit too much in the forward swing instead of letting your arm swing forward/targetward opening your shoulder...the torso will end up rotating too. As well I think I see your body leaning back slightly when you are in the forward swing, whereas the backswing looks like nice balance to me.

This is definitely progress, the backswing rhythm and balance is the best I've seen you do. Keep it at a mild pace, as the video continues on you speed up a bit more. Also keep thinking of it as a perpetual swing back and forth, maybe thinking of the forward swing as the throw is making you move forward early and open up a bit more?

Either way, you have felt this on the left leg and in the backswing so try to figure out where the two motions/directions feel different to you.

Last edited by slowplastic; 12-10-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 AM

Years Playing: 0.6
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Like timothy42b, my knowledge is way behind since I'm a new player but you seem very focused on your arm and hand. It looks a lot better in your last vid because you seem to focus more on your weight shift and balance.

When I started playing last summer, I was reaching back with my arm like if my focus was needed to reach back a certain point behind me. I was strong arming my throw, I had bad timing and I was flat footed most of the time because when I consciously guide my hand behind me like there is a magic precised place it needs to be, my brain is not trying to throw at a target by loading and shifting my body weight.

If I would throw a baseball by focusing where I reach back with my arm, it would not help at all. Maybe It was said to you already so sorry If I added nothing new. Also I'm sure it can be harder to try to get rid of bad habit.

Last edited by BeRReGoN; 12-10-2018 at 01:29 AM.