Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 693 Times in 337 Posts

I own the disc. I have a pit bull.I take the disc.

I don't care if he was wearing a walking cast on one foot or if he was almost totally deaf. I don't care if he had leprosy. I don't care if his wife just died or his son has leukemia.

It's my disc.

If the walking cast was on the other foot I'd have called the number on the disc when I found it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 918 Times in 395 Posts

I would have skinned him alive and worn his pelt for the round.

Just kidding I would usually offer to play the round through with him and if he was cool I’d give him a driver or a fairway disc to toss depending on his power level if I really wanted the disc he found back.

My major efforts go to suppressing my urges to knock people out cold, and instead turn it around and make a friend. That initial wave of rage can be hard to stop but it’s always rewarding to do so. It’s always the right call.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,134 Times in 2,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
He didn't necessarily abandon the disc. He merely stated that he lost it. Legally there's a difference.

Pretty much every jurisdiction has a statute dealing with such, and I don't think any of them simply default to a rule of finders keepers.
Ah, you overlook that most of those jurisdictions have a special clause in the statute, saying that it does not apply to golf discs as it does to wallets, automobiles, and virtually everything else.

Really, as much time as you've spent in this forums, I'm surprised you didn't already know that.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,134 Times in 2,002 Posts

It is an odd and awkward situation for the O.P.

Complicated by the fact that the holder of his disc may not have been the finder, and apparently wasn't.

The closest I've come was when I was playing solo, and playing through a group of new players. Mistaking me for some sort of expert---I had a bag and threw further than they did---one of them handed me a disc and asked me how it flies. The disc belonged to a friend of mine.

I said something like, "I know this guy. Do you want me to give it to him for you?"

The new player was caught off-guard, but acquiesced. Perhaps because I framed it as the assumption that he would want to give it back.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 918 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I own the disc. I have a pit bull.I take the disc.

I don't care if he was wearing a walking cast on one foot or if he was almost totally deaf. I don't care if he had leprosy. I don't care if his wife just died or his son has leukemia.

It's my disc.

If the walking cast was on the other foot I'd have called the number on the disc when I found it.

I feel bad for your dog.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 200
Niced 763 Times in 336 Posts

It is better to have loved a disc and lost it than to never have loved a disc at all.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Niced 44 Times in 32 Posts

You didn’t specifically say that your phone # on the disc. You only mention a signature.

And we don’t have the other persons side f the story. Who started being snarky first - who copped an attitude first. And it’s always hard to convey tone and attitude.

In the end you did the right thing - one disc isn’t worth being a d**k

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

"You down with OPP....Yea you know me..." (Other people's plastic in this case.) You youngsters can look that one up.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 101
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
You didn’t specifically say that your phone # on the disc. You only mention a signature.

And we don’t have the other persons side f the story. Who started being snarky first - who copped an attitude first. And it’s always hard to convey tone and attitude.

In the end you did the right thing - one disc isn’t worth being a d**k

I coped the attitude first so I don't blame the guy for snarking back at me. I showed him my signature and phone number on the other discs in my bag. I gotta tell you that if someone came up to me and said I had one of their discs and could prove it I would be extremely embarrassed and would hand it back with an apology. That's why I don't even want other people's stuff in my bag. It's bad mojo and my friends would hound me until I gave it back or lost it.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Niced 44 Times in 32 Posts

If they wanted it back Fine but I would give them a little ribbing about why they didn’t return my calls. Now the guy in this story obviously didn’t call so he has no higher ground to stand on.

Did you asked how he got the disc, did he find it, did someone give it to him, did he buy it a PIAS?