Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 PM

Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Some people(me) find forhand more natural, though I’ve actually never met anyone else in person who does. They all prefer backhand. Perhaps when I started, young, I didn’t have the power needed for backhand, and forehand seems more to engage my whole body, and thus I can now throw further than people who are clearly better than me, but use backhand. I think the main disadvantage on wooded courses is getting enough room for the motion-it shouldn’t be reckless, but you’re right that it can be.
Forehand is more natural for me as well brotha!! Westside Warhorse and put some extra mustard on that thing.... unstoppable.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 115 Times in 80 Posts

I'm starting to throw FH shots when needed. I'm using a Cobra due to it's a versatile as hell disc. A little touchy but I want to work on form.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,537 Times in 875 Posts

Didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully some fh peeps can answer this for me. On a whim I thought "you pull a backhand, why not try to pull a forehand?" My flicks before this were only used for get out of jail throws, 60-100ft max. My first throw with my Harp using this pulling method goes out to 140. Next throw with my Pig, just shy of 160. Gator goes a solid 160. I had to stop due to darkness. lol..So with my get out of jail flicks the disc is released almost shoulder height and flicked with pretty much just the wrist. With this pulling technique, I'm releasing very low, around my waist. And again....it really feels like I'm pulling the disc through and the wrist just automatically snaps forward and releases the disc. I should note it felt incredibly easy, comfortable, etc. The other flick which I release much higher puts a strain on my shoulder so I stopped trying to throw any further using that method. I honestly feel in a short period of time with this new method I'll be able to throw my gator 200ft which is going to add so much to my overall game. And btw.. the disc is coming out flat. Which was another shock. lol.. Before I proceed (tomorrow morning..lol..) I wanted to know am I doing something close to being okish form or is this just something that works for me? Thx.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

I was just doing some movements in the house, and to me it kind of feels like I'm doing a sideways "under arm softball fast pitch" for lack of a better description. ? ? ?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 469 Times in 285 Posts

There is a difference in the lines achieved FH vs BH as well. Say you have a hole that is 350’ with a gradual turn left and the pin tucked a bit right at the end. That’s a shape that backhand can make, but FH can get closer. Same with a dogleg right that is straight for the first part and a relatively sharp dogleg towards the end. Again you can get a BH down there, but FH is easier and will get closer.

At least for me, I think the accuracy thing initially was better with FH. I think it has to do with being able to look at your target, and that causes you to try to crush the throw less. I’m about as accurate either way now, and distance is pretty comparable as well. It’s really about shot shape, and how confident in one or the other I fell on a given day.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I was just doing some movements in the house, and to me it kind of feels like I'm doing a sideways "under arm softball fast pitch" for lack of a better description. ? ? ?
I’m not entirely sure I understand “pulling” from your previous post, but this underhand feeling is a definitely a good sign.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdepue View Post
I’m not entirely sure I understand “pulling” from your previous post, but this underhand feeling is a definitely a good sign.
Interesting, thx! Just finished my next day experiment. My goal was 200ft with something slow speed for control, but my Pig, Harp, Roc wasn't getting past 150 or so. I ended up sticking with a Thunderbird. Not too fast, plus good control and reliable fade. I also realized the more I tried to engage my forearm, shoulder, the more I wanted to throw it like a baseball and that's when things would go wrong, plus I could really "feel" it in my shoulder. I'm guessing this is the potential problem some fh throwers feel when doing it wrong. So anyway...back to what I call pulling (or maybe swinging?) my arm across my waist and then letting the disc just basically come out of my wrist. After about 10 or so throws, each throw nothing like the other lol.. I finally get one that comes out just shy of 200ft. So as a proof of concept, success! I was already past 200 with my LHBH before I injured it, but adding this 150-200ft RHFH into the mix opens up alot. Now it goes into the weekly drills so I can dial in consistency. (Pause to go research Scott Stokely fh on yt) ok.. I can see I'm a bit off in my thinking and I'm certainly not engaging my arm or my wrist. Maybe that will happen automatically over time.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Interesting, thx! Just finished my next day experiment. My goal was 200ft with something slow speed for control, but my Pig, Harp, Roc wasn't getting past 150 or so. I ended up sticking with a Thunderbird. Not too fast, plus good control and reliable fade. I also realized the more I tried to engage my forearm, shoulder, the more I wanted to throw it like a baseball and that's when things would go wrong, plus I could really "feel" it in my shoulder. I'm guessing this is the potential problem some fh throwers feel when doing it wrong. So anyway...back to what I call pulling (or maybe swinging?) my arm across my waist and then letting the disc just basically come out of my wrist. After about 10 or so throws, each throw nothing like the other lol.. I finally get one that comes out just shy of 200ft. So as a proof of concept, success! I was already past 200 with my LHBH before I injured it, but adding this 150-200ft RHFH into the mix opens up alot. Now it goes into the weekly drills so I can dial in consistency. (Pause to go research Scott Stokely fh on yt) ok.. I can see I'm a bit off in my thinking and I'm certainly not engaging my arm or my wrist. Maybe that will happen automatically over time.
Swinging makes sense to me, also a good sign. There can definitely be a temptation to throw it like you would a baseball, for example, and some people never get over that and end up just flexing overstable stuff with a 3/4 delivery.

You're right to pick up on wrist action as it's one of the biggest difference between forehand and backhand. Unlike backhand where your wrist is basically passive the whole time, you do actively use your wrist forehand.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

You hear the phrase "protect your shoulder" a lot in sports. Disc golf is no different. Key things to remember:
1. The majority of muscles engaged in a typical bh throw are mostly back muscles.
2. Forehand can take the large back muscles out of the motion and puts extra emphasis on small muscles in the shoulder and bicep.

Your traps and rhomboids attach to the skeleton with big ol' fat tendons that don't let go of them bones. The rotator cuff, deltoid, and bicep all have VERY small attachmens to the bones of the shoulder- so the risk of injury is significant when you lose proper form.

All this is to say: protecting the shoulder means a powerful FH is going to borrow elements of the BH through accentuated torso movements. Rotate those hips and focus on a tight elbow that stays relatively close in to the hips. Follow thru should be contolled and initiated by the rotation of the back.

Kevin Jones has great form to borrow from. He really emphasises the follow thru.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdepue View Post
Swinging makes sense to me, also a good sign. There can definitely be a temptation to throw it like you would a baseball, for example, and some people never get over that and end up just flexing overstable stuff with a 3/4 delivery.

You're right to pick up on wrist action as it's one of the biggest difference between forehand and backhand. Unlike backhand where your wrist is basically passive the whole time, you do actively use your wrist forehand.
Would love to hear an explanation for the wrist part. What do you mean by active or passive wrist? For me the difference is in the set up but I dont consciously do anything with my wrist in either of the shots. I feel like the wrist loads up on its own if the arm is loose and whip like in both shots.