Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-29-2019, 11:52 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
Pro and g star in those weights would likely be less stable than other plastic choices. Champion and star might be more what you were expecting
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure if weight or plastic could effect the flight that drastically cause that Z line Surge I can smash on and it's never annied out on me like these Wraiths
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
im surprised this ongoing thread didnt answer your question

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=34574&page=21
Ahh crap bro! Im sure it would have if I had seen it lol. I did search the Keyword Wraith* guess I didnt go back far enough...well clearly. Ughh..

Thanks for this link man! Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
to specifically answer your question

the pro and gstar are usually like seasoned star/champ

it sounds like a form issue not a disc issue
It VERY well could be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTuffskins View Post
Comparing your sports background with your Wraith results, I wonder if perhaps you are strong arming them, putting too much muscle in to it, wrestling with the disc? :-D

Seriously, a lot of top Innova pros are throwing Wraiths again and getting good results. They are not naturally flippy discs.

As you are relatively new to the game, working on form now will pay forward big time.
I feel like I drive farther and more accurately when I dial it down but I still have that baseball mentality where the harder you throw it the further it goes but Im quickly learning it is not the same way with discs.....much to my dismay.

My form probably does suck man!
I primarily drive and approach forehand/sidearm and out of the 8-9 guys I'll usually play with in a month (who are all really good, 1 an open class pro and one a Masters 40yr class pro) I am the only idiot pitching forehand so..not much for pointers.
Minus the basics and the "Don't try to muscle it to death" comments..which I usually need to hear no doubt
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

The Wraith is great. If you're throwing forehand then you'll need to hyzer flip it. I almost never throw anything flat anyway. Not sure why you'd want to. Comparing a <170 pro or gstar Wraith to a max weight z surge is like comparing your road runner to your volt. It's not even a fair comparison. Plastic and weight difference make them incomparable.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:12 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Comparing your sports background with your Wraith results, I wonder if perhaps you are strong arming them, putting too much muscle in to it, wrestling with the disc? :-D

Seriously, a lot of top Innova pros are throwing Wraiths again and getting good results. They are not naturally flippy discs.

As you are relatively new to the game, working on form now will pay forward big time.
Or the person could have been like me with a Banshee and flipping the disc to the right by using an Ahnhyzer to get disc to fly on a more US path and ending up with a mess of a throw. I did get the disc to fly right but it was so much work that I took the disc and gave it to my mom who with her no power throw could get the disc to fly well, just she did not want the disc at first so I tried my brothers old Banshee. My brother stopped using the disc once he figured out how to not overpower discs at age 12, yeah age 10-12 and he had the hardest putt I ever saw at the time, so hard he needed to use new gator, but by the time he slowed down at age 12 the Gator was more neutral flight and he could putt slower with the disc. The first summer at age 9 my brother was still figuring the discs out and did not have a Gator. He had a putter he did not like, tried another later before finding he could slam putt with the gator at age 10.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 12-30-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:36 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Reynolds View Post
I feel like I drive farther and more accurately when I dial it down but I still have that baseball mentality where the harder you throw it the further it goes but Im quickly learning it is not the same way with discs.....much to my dismay.
Did you pitch? Forehand drives are much more like a submarine/sidearm pitch than it is like a fielder's throw.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,038 Times in 1,144 Posts

Just started to test the Wraight..

I have one Blizzard 155g one Pro 165g and one Star 175g.

Can cover any driver shot/angle with those 3 discs

Old 12-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 56
Niced 98 Times in 35 Posts

You're throwing rhfh with Roadrunners, Thunderbirds & Teebirds with success, so your form is probably good enough.

Yes, Pro & Gstar Wraiths (especially weights in the 160s) can be very flippy thrown rhfh. I prefer to use 170+ Star Wraiths -- they can take a lot more power and are a lot more predictable imo.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 220 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:

Not natually flippy but they definately have some turn. Obviously some more than others.

I have cycled PD2s for about the last year and just powering up CD2s for shots I need more turn than a beat bomber run PD2.

I put the wraith back in the bag for the first time in years, dropped my flippiest PD2 and am throwing my 2 wraiths as often as my PD2s. Effortless line shaping FH and BH. They go a hair further on a max rip too.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Wraiths aren't flippy unless you get into blizzard or DX. Generally, I wouldn't even recommend using a Wraith as a distance driver unless you can throw at least 350' consistently. I can get Wraiths out to 400' pretty regularly. They're nice drivers, usually very consistent.

Star would be the first plastic I'd pick for a Wraith. It tends to be a bit on the beefy side, and wears slowly.

Surges are all over the place in Z. I've thrown some good ones, and some very bad ones.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 500 Times in 180 Posts

I use Wraiths for practically all of my distance shots, both backhand and forehand. I carry 4-5 in the bag and practice with a stack in the field fairly often. I prefer metal flake (very hard to find lately) and star (recent runs have been great). For frame of reference, with the backhand, my consistent max distance is around 415. With the forehand, probably around 325 -- so not too far off from your range. In my experience, at those forehand distances, unless it is a very flippy Wraith (e.g., blizzard, DX, or something very well-seasoned, etc), the disc should be solidly stable to overstable. Fresh star Wraiths above, say, 166g should have either a little turn or absolutely zero turn, with a strong finish. If you're not seeing that flight, you're either using Wraiths that are not characteristic of the mold, or it's a form issue. And as somebody else mentioned, if you're forehanding roadrunners, it's almost certainly not a form issue.
In other words, if you like the Wraith (and why wouldn't you!), get a few fresh ones in star plastic, ranging from 168 to 175, and enjoy.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

FWIW the most os Wraith I ever had was a pop-top 175g bottom stamp Star. That thing saw so many NC trees & it just wanted to stay os.