Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 74 Times in 40 Posts

Feeling like I am standing tall in my walk up and throw is something that really seems to improve my throwing. I stay more in balance/stacked, naturally feel the weight more on my toes, feel like I rotate faster/notice that it gets the power pocket in closer to my body, transfer weight easier, naturally end up on my right heel (RHBH), and feel less strain on my lower body where my right hip was starting to bother me.

I struggle with this in golf as well where I bend too much at the knees and hips and that is ok for a position more concerned with lateral quickness (playing short stop) but not so great for a rotational one. I see a lot of instruction talk about ice skaters pulling their limbs in close to spin fast, but I feel like what we don't mention in that dialogue is that they pull their arms in tight AND get tall to spin fast.

When I remember to start the throw this way, it generally seems to make my throw more relaxed and balanced and everything just feels more natural and smooth.

Wanted to bump this for others thoughts and to share my own.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2020, 02:28 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 61 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
Wanted to bump this for others thoughts and to share my own.
I am in the process of tweaking my form which has been stagnating for a handful of months. I have a few tweaks that are making me hopeful for better distance and especially accuracy.

Once those settle in, I will take a look at this as well, so thanks for the necro thread bump.

Now that I think about, I used to hunch over when I would putt and then tried a more "trying to lower my BMI" stance and it definitely helped.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 88
Niced 460 Times in 245 Posts

It's funny because I recently discovered pretty much the opposite. I was too vertical and not creating enough space for the disc. This would lead to some rounding (hugging myself) as I started my pull. My distance was still OK, but not consistent. When you're rounding, the only way to get max distance is to have perfect timing. When you're a little off, the distance really suffers.

By consciously thinking about keeping my knees more bent, I am now generating more power from my legs and doing a better job of moving around the disc. Immediate improvement in consistency.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 70 Times in 22 Posts

I am pleased for the OP, but I think BuzzChief's experience helps to illustrate that there is no golden rule for everyone which is what makes progress so difficult and frustrating. Look at all the variations amongst the pros who can throw 500'. Height, body type, reach back length, straight or wide rail, erect, crouched, open or closed to the target at address, pull across the waist torso or shoulders, angle of release, speed on the teepad, etc.
It looks so easy for those that can do it, but I couldn't throw a 90 mph fastball nor hit a golf ball 300 yards so my 320 foot disc golf drives might be all I will ever achieve.
As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to the park to try the wide rail reach back. Hope springs eternal, but after 8 years I am running out of possibilities. Best of luck to all of you.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 252 Times in 140 Posts

Yes yes yes.

First of all, it eliminates a lot of stagger in your stance which everyone is CONVINCED they need because they watch Simon throw.

Breaking this habit is hard, and standing up straight is once of the ways to combat it. Reducing the stagger in your throw can feel like you're planting behind your left foot, just because of muscle memory.

Fixing this allows for a larger range of motion in your hips and therefore more power.

Hunched over drives often results in too much hyzer. Standing up straight makes throwing close to flat a lot easier, which can also contribute a lot of distance.

It makes sense that good posture would lead to better drives.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:21 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
I am pleased for the OP, but I think BuzzChief's experience helps to illustrate that there is no golden rule for everyone which is what makes progress so difficult and frustrating. Look at all the variations amongst the pros who can throw 500'. Height, body type, reach back length, straight or wide rail, erect, crouched, open or closed to the target at address, pull across the waist torso or shoulders, angle of release, speed on the teepad, etc.
It looks so easy for those that can do it, but I couldn't throw a 90 mph fastball nor hit a golf ball 300 yards so my 320 foot disc golf drives might be all I will ever achieve.
As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to the park to try the wide rail reach back. Hope springs eternal, but after 8 years I am running out of possibilities. Best of luck to all of you.
I thoroughly disagree with this.

Breaking down pro form reveals the fundamental SIMILARITIES and not the differences. Yes, pros can look very different when they throw because of their differing body types, but they're all doing the same basic things. I could go into what those are, but it exists in many other places here on DGCR.

Here is the classic form video. These pros have vastly different bodies and styles, but you can see they are all doing the exact same moves to throw the disc:

I don't know Buzzchief, but the fact that they found success from crouching likely means there are much larger issues with their form.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 70 Times in 22 Posts

I enjoy that video and have watched it numerous times. I don't disagree with you that there are fundamental similarities amongst many top players, but I think there are also subtle and not so subtle differences between many successful players and I don't know how much their individuality has helped them to achieve their remarkable distance. If we replaced the four players in that video with say Garret Gurthie, James Conrad, Kevin Jones and Matt Orum I'm sure you could still find similarities but neither could you deny the differences. Compare Feldberg who has almost no elbow bend to Schusterick who creates a deep power pocket, clearly neither is incorrect nor absolutely necessary. IMHO, it is difficult for those of us who fail to throw far to know what parts of our natural form we can keep as opposed to what we should discard and adopt. If you made Conrad change his form to copy Gurthie, Gurthie clearly being the ideal because no one throws so far with so little effort, how successful would he be?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
I enjoy that video and have watched it numerous times. I don't disagree with you that there are fundamental similarities amongst many top players, but I think there are also subtle and not so subtle differences between many successful players and I don't know how much their individuality has helped them to achieve their remarkable distance. If we replaced the four players in that video with say Garret Gurthie, James Conrad, Kevin Jones and Matt Orum I'm sure you could still find similarities but neither could you deny the differences. Compare Feldberg who has almost no elbow bend to Schusterick who creates a deep power pocket, clearly neither is incorrect nor absolutely necessary. IMHO, it is difficult for those of us who fail to throw far to know what parts of our natural form we can keep as opposed to what we should discard and adopt. If you made Conrad change his form to copy Gurthie, Gurthie clearly being the ideal because no one throws so far with so little effort, how successful would he be?
Focusing on the differences is a trap. Focus on the similarities and you'll start to realize what you need to do to throw like the pros.

Feldberg's arm barely bends at all and Paul has a ton of bend. Great. Now you know you can do it either way. (just so you know Feldberg's throw is called a "Swedish" throw... Paul's style is often referred to as the "American" style)

Now look at their bodies at peak backswing and then the hit. Head position, arm position, leg position, hip position, balance... all nearly identical. Great. Now you know you HAVE to do those things to throw well.

I used to focus on the wrong things too. As soon as I realized it's all about balanced and throwing from your front leg after a weight shift... everything else fell into place.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
I think the point is that what they do share are the fundamental moves (so to speak) of the swing: hips and shoulders loading, backswing timing, the lateral weight shift into the brace, off hand counter, all while maintaining dynamic balance.

How they get into and out of these moves differ, but they're all making them.

The power pocket is a great example of something that people talk about as if it's something that you should actively try to make happen when it's rather more like an effect of these other, more fundamental things.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,916 Times in 2,387 Posts

Quote:
If you made Conrad change his form to copy Gurthie, Gurthie clearly being the ideal because no one throws so far with so little effort, how successful would he be?
I don't know how to predict success - which is more about practice and execution, but he would be throwing crazy far and look a lot more like Ken Jarvis.