Old 02-20-2020, 03:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 194 Times in 105 Posts
Default Eagle VS FD2

I don't have much experience with these discs, but it's a slot in my bag I'm looking to work on..... Let's duke it out!

aaaaaaaaand go!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 05:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 352 Times in 218 Posts

Isn't the FD2 a really overstable fairway driver? Eagles usually have a good amount of turn (with still a healthy fade). DX Eagles are pretty straight overall. Champ Eagles can be meathooks.

Am I understanding you right, that you want either of theses molds for a specific slot in your bag? Maybe you better tell us more about that slot you like to fill.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,947 Times in 849 Posts

Not the same type of discs really. And which FD-2, the original or retooled? The FD-2 is also a bit shallower.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 AM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

May i add the Teebird3 into this mix? Right now i'm throwing the Teebird3 and i have been looking for a disc that is like it but more forehand friendly. The Eagle would be a great choice but i don't know anything about the different runs. The new retooled FD2 looks and sounds great too. I throw Rocs and Roc3s and the next step up is my PD, with the TB3 beign in the middle.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 483 Times in 254 Posts

What's wrong with forehanding the TB3?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 AM

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
What's wrong with forehanding the TB3?
The top is just slightly too rounded for my forehands. I can use it for touchy shots but not hard shots. My TB3 has a bit of dome though, i might have to try out another one. My main forehand discs are Zone and Firebird.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmz View Post
May i add the Teebird3 into this mix? Right now i'm throwing the Teebird3 and i have been looking for a disc that is like it but more forehand friendly.
Thunderbird.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

(I assume we're talking about the newest FD2) I've only thrown the Royal Rage (color glow) FD2 but it's does remind me of a more mellow Eagle, but...it's also been a long time since I've thrown one.

RR will show mild turn when thrown with power and then fade back. It's actually less stable than I was hoping. My swirly FD is actually more overstable.

It is extremely clean on forehands. It's stayed in my bag almost exclusively for long forehand approaches/short drives. Shallow hyzer, 60-70% power, and it will flip to flat, glide straight, and then finish with a consistent fade. Not sure it will remain as I don't like having such a specialized disc, but it is great at that.

Some reports on the new stock C-Line FD2 are that they are more overstable, but I don't have firsthand experience.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdepue View Post
(I assume we're talking about the newest FD2) I've only thrown the Royal Rage (color glow) FD2 but it's does remind me of a more mellow Eagle, but...it's also been a long time since I've thrown one.

RR will show mild turn when thrown with power and then fade back. It's actually less stable than I was hoping. My swirly FD is actually more overstable.

It is extremely clean on forehands. It's stayed in my bag almost exclusively for long forehand approaches/short drives. Shallow hyzer, 60-70% power, and it will flip to flat, glide straight, and then finish with a consistent fade. Not sure it will remain as I don't like having such a specialized disc, but it is great at that.

Some reports on the new stock C-Line FD2 are that they are more overstable, but I don't have firsthand experience.
Stock FD2s from the most recent run (current tooling not OG or the first retool) seem more stable than the royal rage, but not by that much. I just pulled the RR out of my bag for a stock run for the time being as it's a better complement to my NS2 FD.

FD2 is a great feeling forehand disc to me, and I can get really nice forehand laser beams from a slight hyzer release.

I personally think the FD2 will end up about the same place as an eagle with a little less turn and fade (depending on the run/plastic for the eagle of course!)

Old 02-20-2020, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 620 Times in 405 Posts

FD2 is not a particularly special flying disc - another stable-ish fairway. But the touch for FH is second to none in this category IMHO. And it shares that beautiful lower wing with my other favorite speed 7, the FD.

Niced: (1)