Old 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,947 Times in 2,406 Posts

You start turning away too early/on wrong leg and then you plant into a too closed stance with your weight/balance stuck back on the rear foot and your rear foot spins out or squishes the bug during the swing instead of leveraging forward into the plant from the ground up.

I would work from a standing position like a pitcher or batter with a stride, instead of doing an x-step and focus on shifting your hips/weight forward whilst turning back into the plant.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=135899
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post
It's getting better. I figured out what was causing me to plant with my lead foot open no matter how hard I tried. It was that I was starting my throw before my foot had hit the ground which cause the hips to start opening before my foot was planted. I'm also focusing on twisting my upper body back more in the backswing and pulling the disc deeper into the power pocket which adds a lot more spin. How's it looking now?

https://youtu.be/pd28n-wzIso

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hips look better but you're turning very early in your approach. I think staring facing the target and then leading with your butt helps you feel the push and pull of the hips better, but I don't have a lot to back this up other than pretty much no one who throws far starts perpendicular to the target. Maybe others can clarify.

The main thing is that you're still pushing/spinning from your rear foot instead of shifting onto the front. At 0:04, the disc has already left your hand and your back foot is still on the ground. One leg drill will help you get the feel of being on that plant/brace foot before release.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:52 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Trying the one step putter throw as sidewinder22 suggested. This was one of the better throws of my practice (went 285-300ft.) It's so hard to delay the throw and not rush it after throwing incorrectly for so many years. I really try to focus on letting my front leg plant and power from the ground up before starting the throw but it's such a unnatural, foreign feeling to me.

https://youtu.be/Sgapr_7ULso

Old 03-04-2020, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

You start the backswing by turning and tipping/leaning upper body back over hip going forward, and picking up your front foot. Your hips aren't shifting back into backswing before going forward, or leg kicking back or foot being pulled up off ground from momentum of backswing. That causes your front foot to stride too far and your weight getting stuck on the rear foot after you plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=5m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=23s

Old 03-05-2020, 12:22 AM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You start the backswing by turning and tipping/leaning upper body back over hip going forward, and picking up your front foot. Your hips aren't shifting back into backswing before going forward, or leg kicking back or foot being pulled up off ground from momentum of backswing. That causes your front foot to stride too far and your weight getting stuck on the rear foot after you plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=5m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=23s

So to make sure I understand, during this one step drill I should try to keep my upper body more centered (not tipping back over rear leg) and turn my hips back more in the back swing?

Old 03-05-2020, 01:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post
So to make sure I understand, during this one step drill I should try to keep my upper body more centered (not tipping back over rear leg) and turn my hips back more in the back swing?

I think you already got the turning back part, but it's behind your rear foot instead of in front of it. Shift your center more compactly inside your stance between your knees, like you could support/squat 200lbs on your shoulders while shifting to either foot.

If you were to start in your same position there, you should be swinging your front foot(whole leg) back like a pitcher, instead of just your knee. That should send your butt and torso targetward as the leg kicks back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.03.00 AM.jpg (73.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 03-05-2020, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Would also recommend swinging back and forth before going into the backswing. Your arm looks tense instead of pulled taut. Loosen up and let go of the backswing like heaving an axe or sledgehammer back.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Is this getting any better? I spent the whole day doing field work today. Focusing on the advice from sidewinder 22. Trying to keep my center more compact and balanced and feel that syncing plant into my lead glute before initiating the throw. Thank you so much by the way it's really helping!!! Today I was throwing putters farther than most my drives usually went. This one in the video was a Warden that went 350 on flat ground.

https://youtu.be/YTRacPf03pM

Old 03-05-2020, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 688 Times in 334 Posts

You are turning back way too early. Use your right leg to leverage the backswing from the ground up. You are completely turned back before your right foot touches down.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 PM

Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
You are turning back way too early. Use your right leg to leverage the backswing from the ground up. You are completely turned back before your right foot touches down.
You're right. I think I'm doing this because before I wasn't getting a full reach back and I'm really trying to focus on getting a full reach back. But turning back too early is messing up my timing. I'll try to delay my reach back and I think this will help a lot with getting that front foot planted and leveraged earlier.