Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Aloha maJsty14,

what i noticed in your video above:

swinging the disc back and forth does nothing but complicate the whole thing...aim, lock the wrist position, but stay relaxed the same time.
don't grip too hard before you are in the powerpocket...thats the time to hold on strong to the disc and the leverage will produce the spin.

try not to drag your left arm behind. involve it into your reachback (whip back) and right before you pull from reachback peak let it give momentum and think about an elbow check in the follow through.

try to push your back foot just a little bit, not as active as it looks. and you lift it to the "outside". it should move a splitsecond "behind" you, from behind to the right and towards the target. (remember feet-toes-to-heal-line). will give you more balance in the followthrough as well. watch bowling to see what a back foot has to do.

you swing around to the reachback, then you kind of fall backwards in the pull (bend your knees more) and turn around, which takes your body out of the right position. that way you rounding the disc too. i did this for years!
try to straighten the front leg instead, don't bend. gives you a wider stance and then you are able to lock your hips.

hold the disc on the "outside" the whole time, its an important part of the mechanics.

if it feels uncomfortable, change the grip. since i use a 3-finger-power-grip i dont throw nose up anymore...for my aviars i still use 4 finger, driving and putting, for all the rest just 3...works perfectly for me.

you are "watching" the disc. its ok during the reachback, but you should look straight forward (90 from targetline) during the pull and throw and let your left shoulder lift up your head.
if you watch the disc, the shoulder is too open (out of line)!

work at one thing at a time...throw 50 or 100 disc that way to get a feeling... if it works, good...throw 100 more... then the next adjustment...
they will fly all over the place, but thats ok...thats how it should be! its fieldwork. you gotta dial yourself in each and every time you "change" something. and it feels arkward...and it should. but it will become muscle memory and the goal is NOT to think about it anymore... keep practicing, you are on a good way!

i will have to throw thousands more, too, until i reach 350 ft. consistently... !
but one time...

oh and what help me keeping track is just a simple paper note on the ground with "what to work on today" on it...
its easy to go to the field and thinking about all the changes and concentrating on different things on each shot... that way field work doesnt make much sense... took me also years to be aware of!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,941 Times in 2,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraping Micha View Post
1. swinging the disc back and forth does nothing but complicate the whole thing

2. involve left arm into your reachback (whip back) and right before you pull from reachback peak let it give momentum and think about an elbow check in the follow through.

3. you are "watching" the disc. its ok during the reachback, but you should look straight forward (90 from targetline) during the pull and throw and let your left shoulder lift up your head.
if you watch the disc, the shoulder is too open (out of line)!
I like your enthusiasm, but I respectfully disagree with ^.

1. I like to see fluid dynamic motion rather than trying to hold a static position. It's about learning movement patterns, not static positions. It's not complicated. It's just like tossing a sledgehammer, you wouldn't start from a static position, you would start swinging it back and forth like tossing a horseshoe or shooting a basketball free throw.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133733

2. Whipping the rear arm back in the "reachback" only serves to twist the spine and is not good for the back. You are actually sending the hips forward to whip the rear arm back, instead of everything turning back together from the hips effortlessly. Whipping the rear arm is akin to modern golf swing theory and x-factor. You can generate power that way, but it's not the most efficient or healthy way.

3. This is not true. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133759
Old 03-31-2020, 08:09 AM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I like your enthusiasm, but I respectfully disagree with ^.

1. I like to see fluid dynamic motion rather than trying to hold a static position. It's about learning movement patterns, not static positions. It's not complicated. It's just like tossing a sledgehammer, you wouldn't start from a static position, you would start swinging it back and forth like tossing a horseshoe or shooting a basketball free throw.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133733

2. Whipping the rear arm back in the "reachback" only serves to twist the spine and is not good for the back. You are actually sending the hips forward to whip the rear arm back, instead of everything turning back together from the hips effortlessly. Whipping the rear arm is akin to modern golf swing theory and x-factor. You can generate power that way, but it's not the most efficient or healthy way.

3. This is not true. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133759
hm. i'm not sure.

1.the swinging in the video above from maJsty14 is al but no dynamic motion, ins't it? its just swinging around, no pendulum, as i see it. and the pendulum goes back and forth and boom, not shaky shaky in the front and to the right?
thats what i mean. of couse its all one fluid motion in the end. to get it smooth, the less fiddling in front, the better, i think.

2.hm, ok. exageration is not good, but i think allmost every distance thrower does it. everybody is using the back arm to help the shoulder around and to direct momentum on/after reachback? you shouldn't break the spine, of course!
i put some frames in a collage to show, what i mean.

3. hey, this is paul... he is alien and does have a really unique form, i think. when each shot gets 500ft. then i start comparing me to him.
i see many others doing that, they look straight forward in the powerpocket to keep the shoulder close.

so i think its something to consider if every disc goes a different path and pattern. it stopped for me, when i was stopping watching the discs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left_arm.jpg (140.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg powerpocket_head.jpg (68.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:

2.hm, ok. exageration is not good, but i think allmost every distance thrower does it. everybody is using the back arm to help the shoulder around and to direct momentum on/after reachback? you shouldn't break the spine, of course!
i put some frames in a collage to show, what i mean.
The issue isn't about whether to involve the off-arm or not, but what it's doing. What you are calling a "whip back" is actually a fairly passive motion to set-up the active counter swing to the throw. Thinking about it as an intentional aggressive "whip" in the backswing is more than likely going to draw focus away from the actual move that the off-arm makes during the forward swing.

Double G is a great example of this because he gets his off-hand up high so it's easy to see the counter swing. It's easier to see here but both Simon and Will are doing their version of this.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,941 Times in 2,402 Posts

Quote:
hm. i'm not sure.

1.the swinging in the video above from maJsty14 is al but no dynamic motion, ins't it? its just swinging around, no pendulum, as i see it. and the pendulum goes back and forth and boom, not shaky shaky in the front and to the right?
thats what i mean. of couse its all one fluid motion in the end. to get it smooth, the less fiddling in front, the better, i think.

3. hey, this is paul... he is alien and does have a really unique form, i think. when each shot gets 500ft. then i start comparing me to him.
i see many others doing that, they look straight forward in the powerpocket to keep the shoulder close.

so i think its something to consider if every disc goes a different path and pattern. it stopped for me, when i was stopping watching the discs.
1. I like his pressing or waggle motion with the lower arm, feeling the swing weight.

2. The rear arm shouldn't be used rotationally or to try to rotate further back. I speak from experience this can cause back injury. If you value your back Marc Jarvis's rear arm motion is the best. Will S does use it rotationally and teach that and head down, and his current form is also a mess and dealing with injuries. Marc throws further than Will.

Note how Paul's rear arm doesn't go around behind his back, it gets left behind and then goes linearly forward into the plant, it's not a rotational event.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=124523

Marc is one of the longest throwers on the planet, keeps the rear arm in tight in backswing and head moves with disc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Head moves with disc:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

hm. i see paul lifting his left arm, before it moves in the other direction. i consider that as a little whip. and marc is doing it as well. small movement, but its there. of course your elbows shouldn't meet behind you. "behind the back" is too far, yes. but this little movement helps me to "load" the spring.

and to my eyes the head - relatively to the shoulders - almost doesn't move at all, till the release... it stays 90...straight forward.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:07 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

and i would consider marc jarvis an uberalien as well... unique, unreachable form for me.