Old 05-16-2020, 09:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,128 Times in 959 Posts

The MikeK's out there would have lost WWII. Glad they were mentally tougher back then.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:36 PM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 296
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 135 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
The MikeK's out there would have lost WWII. Glad they were mentally tougher back then.
Are you a veteran like I am Hamster? Ever stood a watch for your country? Sworn an oath to the Constitution? Have you even read it?

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,128 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Are you a veteran like I am Hamster? Ever stood a watch for your country? Sworn an oath to the Constitution? Have you even read it?
Thank you for your service.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,518 Times in 1,008 Posts

Guess we'll wait till there's a vaccine....Oh crap, what if no vaccine is ever developed?

Kiss sanctioned events bye bye forever. Been nice knowing you PDGA...
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,445 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Guess we'll wait till there's a vaccine....Oh crap, what if no vaccine is ever developed?

Kiss sanctioned events bye bye forever. Been nice knowing you PDGA...
Can you think of any possible outcomes between those extremes?

Old 05-17-2020, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,518 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Can you think of any possible outcomes between those extremes?
I can but...nah, hard pass on posting them here.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 163 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Testing, tracing, and isolation is where we should be heading. We need to be able to test asymptomatic people, trace their contacts, and then test those people, etc. until the trail runs out.

That is how other countries have managed to keep things under control.

Right now we are only testing people with symptoms, even though > 50% of infections are spread by asymptomatic people.
Except we are NOT testing all of those with symptoms. Many are being sent home without a test. In fact, a local hospital here in South Florida has an extreme shortage of tests. They are now putting people they haven't tested into the COVID floors as their symptoms appear to be COVID. And those without the specific symptoms are being put on non Covid floors. What could go wrong? Looking at the state-wide numbers there was a drastic reduction in the # of tests given yesterday, all while the % of positives keeps growing. South Florida is definitely not out of the woods, but they are going to open it regardless.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,445 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Except we are NOT testing all of those with symptoms. Many are being sent home without a test. . . .
I "niced" your post because I agree that testing is wildly insufficient, not because I think the situation is "nice". I hope that makes sense.

“Testing is outbreak control 101, because what testing lets you do is figure out who’s infected and who’s not, and that lets you separate out the infected people from the noninfected people and bring the disease under control,” Harvard professor Ashish Jha says. As Tom Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told The Washington Post, “Our ability to get to the new normal depends to a great extent on our ability to test, isolate, contact trace and quarantine.” Public health leaders are essentially unanimous: This is, they believe, America’s most viable escape route from the pandemic. It’s what has largely contained the virus in multiple countries, including Germany, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan.

Washington Post May 14 (click)

Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,010 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Testing, tracing, and isolation is where we should be heading. We need to be able to test asymptomatic people, trace their contacts, and then test those people, etc. until the trail runs out.

That is how other countries have managed to keep things under control.

Right now we are only testing people with symptoms, even though > 50% of infections are spread by asymptomatic people.
Yeah, I cannot nice this enough. I am not a guy that is interested in revisionist history, other than to glean the lessons that the past can provide.

Testing and tracing is the path that this country should have focused on at the beginning. I am not convinced the lock down has had much of an impact on the economy. I think allowing the virus to run rampant would have overwhelmed the healthcare systems and trashed the economy anyway. But, the crossroad should now be the ability to test and trace. Without it, opening society is nothing more than a gamble. One with a potential huge cost in lives and/or further economic destruction. The odds of unrestricted opening not causing more damage seems pretty slim to me, but I will continue to hope for the best.

Niced: (3)

Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 388 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You’re making my point for me JayDub, which is that it’s so contagious lockdowns are not as effective as claimed. Didn’t Governor Cuomo claim 2/3’ds of new cases were from people who stayed home? Why yes, he did:
This is because America has never really been actually "locked down". If you're still going out to the grocery store, you're not locked down, and grocery stores are certainly a point of community transmission. There was a Walmart in the NE area that had something like 1/3 of its employees test positive that had to be shuttered recently.

Not just large chain grocery stores, but small convenience stores, drug stores/Walgreens, gas stations, corner party stores have been deemed essential and have been up and running this whole time. Not to mention all of the fast food stores, Starbucks/Tim Hortons/Dunkin Donuts/coffee joints doing drive through and the sheer number of restaurants doing take out orders too.

I'm not saying we need to weld everyone's door's shut ala China, people certainly need to eat and have access to medicine.

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 05-18-2020 at 08:39 AM.