Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 120 Times in 54 Posts

Went to pick up a new Star or Champ Eagle last weekend. I'm not a fan of the new hard, slick full color Star Eagles. Only saw Jolly Launcher Champ Eagles. Where's my Gummy Opaque Champs or my Grippy Stars??? Glad I got a stack of backup still....
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,054 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ormal View Post
Went to pick up a new Star or Champ Eagle last weekend. I'm not a fan of the new hard, slick full color Star Eagles. Only saw Jolly Launcher Champ Eagles. Where's my Gummy Opaque Champs or my Grippy Stars??? Glad I got a stack of backup still....
Lol, ur preaching to the choir. I havent seen a good run of eagles in many years. Im glad I have a good stack of 11x eagles that should last me another decade.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 350 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I, while more of a Teebird guy, do bag a Star Eagle for headwind shots [...]
Does your Star Eagle hold better against a headwind than your Teebirds?

I do have a (stiff) Champion Eagle with no turn, but my Star and DX Eagles all turn into a headwind, whereas my Teebirds hold much better against it, until they are pretty beat. My experience is that Teebirds (in all plastics) are better headwind discs than Eagles (except Firebird-like Champ Eagles). I'm expecially interested in Star Eagle experiences.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 179
Niced 1,054 Times in 457 Posts

Ive always found brand new champ eagle x's and new champ teebirds have flown about the same
Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,211 Times in 845 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I recently made a bulk purchase that contained a used Star Eagle X weighing 149g. I have never clicked with the Eagle but this little beauty flies like a used Tbird until it slows down then it fades like a new Firebird.
I'm loving this disc and have decided to try it as a long mid, that worked pretty good for me today.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post

I do have a (stiff) Champion Eagle with no turn, but my Star and DX Eagles all turn into a headwind, whereas my Teebirds hold much better against it, until they are pretty beat. My experience is that Teebirds (in all plastics) are better headwind discs than Eagles (except Firebird-like Champ Eagles). I'm expecially interested in Star Eagle experiences.
In my experience, yes. And playing in Texas, I do go up against some pretty strong sustained winds and gusts where I keep the Teebird in the bag for everything except tailwind shots (if they come out). Its been a night and day difference for me. I toss Teebirds/Eagles upwards of 350' so I don't believe I have much of a noodle arm. That's kinda interesting, your experience. I think it's the first time I've heard somebody say Teebirds are better headwind discs than Eagles.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,398 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's the first time I've heard somebody say Teebirds are better headwind discs than Eagles.
On average, Teebirds usually have a slightly wider cruising range than Eagles which makes them very slightly better into a headwind. I think the Eagle's -0.5 high speed stability gets slightlyamplified by the wind while the Teebird's 0 stability holds in the wind. The difference is really minimal in my experience.

In the end, it really comes down to the two specific discs you have in your hand. One Teebird will perform better than an average Eagle into a headwind, the other Teebird will be worse.

I have easily 60+ Teebirds and Eagle Xs. On average, across all weights/plastics/wear, I would say my Teebirds are just a bit better into a headwind. Not by much, only a little. The difference isn't enough to make me carry both. FWIW, I chose Eagle X (DX and Star) as my primary fairway driver.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
On average, Teebirds usually have a slightly wider cruising range than Eagles which makes them very slightly better into a headwind. I think the Eagle's -0.5 high speed stability gets slightlyamplified by the wind while the Teebird's 0 stability holds in the wind. The difference is really minimal in my experience.

In the end, it really comes down to the two specific discs you have in your hand. One Teebird will perform better than an average Eagle into a headwind, the other Teebird will be worse.

I have easily 60+ Teebirds and Eagle Xs. On average, across all weights/plastics/wear, I would say my Teebirds are just a bit better into a headwind. Not by much, only a little. The difference isn't enough to make me carry both. FWIW, I chose Eagle X (DX and Star) as my primary fairway driver.
I disagree. I think the Eagle's lower glide is why the Eagle is better wind disc. In my experience, they go just as far as a Teebird but really have a little more fade and do have a little turn when they're very beat in. The Teebird gets it pushed around too much by the wind and does have a tendency to drift right on RHBH. Unless you have a really beat in Eagle, they really don't have any turn (at least they don't seem to in Star).

I'm slightly embarrassed to say I have way more Teebirds than 60+ but only maybe 15 - 30 Eagles all Star, and for the past two years I've primarily thrown Eagle-X and Teebirds as my main driver or one of the Teebird's various clones. I'm not saying you're wrong, but in my experience the Teebird is not as predictable or as reliable as an Eagle in a headwind. And I am a Teebird apologist in every aspect except the Teebird as a headwind disc.

If the difference is as minimal as you say then in the end, throw what you feel is best. For me, it's a noticeable difference but in the opposite direction. It's why my main drivers for the past couple of years have been three Teebirds and two Star Eagles. Occasionally I'll move stuff in my bag, but Teebirds and Eagles stay. I'll also add that I cycle them through to where I only have one beat Eagle and Teebird in my bag while the rest are relatively new to in their sweet spot depending on the course I decide to play.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Niced 350 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Unless you have a really beat in Eagle, they really don't have any turn (at least they don't seem to in Star).
This is what irritates me: Eagles not having turn in Star plastic.

Maybe having Eagle outliers made me a Teebird person ...

(I do have clearly way less experience and discs than you both. Thus I would like to learn from you.)

Niced: (1)

Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,398 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
This is what irritates me: Eagles not having turn in Star plastic.
I agree that Star Eagles are beefy; none of mine turn when new.
My Star Eagle is my overstable fairway driver. It stays overstable because I just don't use it that often. The DX Eagles cover all the other fairway slots and get much more use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I have way more Teebirds than 60+ but only maybe 15 - 30 Eagles all Star...
Maybe that's the difference. I am throwing a DX Eagle 99% of the time. Same with Teebirds though. I like DX plastic

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Marmoset; 06-03-2020 at 07:37 PM.