Old 07-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,062 Times in 460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I guess I can't talk about past destroyers since I've only been playing since 2015ish. I'm trying to think of how many different destroyers I've seen thrown before. I'd estimate between 300-500, but who knows. None of the newer and heavier ones have ever been turn and burn flippy with only 350 ft of power.

Molding inconsistency doesn't create outliers as big as that. There would have to be obvious defects in the disc for one to turn and burn with low power. Like I said, PM the next time you find one. I'll put my money where my mouth is.
Yea, when I find the freak ones they dont get past me. Im not looking for you to put your money where your mouth is, I have nothing to prove to you, I just dont get why you are so set in your thinking. I have no reason to lie about the discs I have thrown. What benefit to me is there for me to not tell the truth, it just makes my knowledge look less credible. Molding inconsistencies can 100% lead to outliers that big. Why cant you accept a fact that I am telling you from hands on experience. I will agree that I havent seen a newer heavier one that acts this way but I have had star destroyers in the 160's that act that way.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 281 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Yea, when I find the freak ones they dont get past me. Im not looking for you to put your money where your mouth is, I have nothing to prove to you, I just dont get why you are so set in your thinking. I have no reason to lie about the discs I have thrown. What benefit to me is there for me to not tell the truth, it just makes my knowledge look less credible. Molding inconsistencies can 100% lead to outliers that big. Why cant you accept a fact that I am telling you from hands on experience. I will agree that I havent seen a newer heavier one that acts this way but I have had star destroyers in the 160's that act that way.
I feel like you're exaggerating. But since you are now saying these destroyers are "freak ones" or outliers, than that's fine.

You originally claimed that a question on destroyers was too hard to answer because you never know which one you will get. Just don't assume you will get an outlier since outliers are rare, problem solved.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 163 Times in 112 Posts

Yeah, the only Destroyers I’ve seen that are “turn-and-burn” at 350’ feet of power are bubble rim Champ Destroyers. Not talking blizzard, but the ones that just have bubbles.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 952 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Yeah, the only Destroyers I’ve seen that are “turn-and-burn” at 350’ feet of power are bubble rim Champ Destroyers. Not talking blizzard, but the ones that just have bubbles.
I've thrown a couple 150ish stars. They'll turn and burn at 400' or more, but not 350'.

I've never seen ANY star Destroyer turn and burn at 350' no matter how beat up it was.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 752 Times in 351 Posts

Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it be funny if it were the opposite of "internet distance?"

Like instead of someone overstating how far they throw, they actually understate it:

"Yeah man, I don't know why that turned and burned, I only throw around 350'." <---actually throws 450'+.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 179
Niced 1,062 Times in 460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it be funny if it were the opposite of "internet distance?"

Like instead of someone overstating how far they throw, they actually understate it:

"Yeah man, I don't know why that turned and burned, I only throw around 350'." <---actually throws 450'+.
Shhh, this is my strategy
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,162 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Yea, I remember when vulcan topped destroyers starting coming out and everyone hated them, then very quickly after that the teedevil came out which is essentially a vulcan topped destroyer. Coincidence, I think not. Im just trying to point out that just because someone hasnt had the same experience as someone else then that doesnt mean it isnt true. I feel like I come from a place of a lot of knowledge being a high level player for a long time with a love for the game that also has had thousands of discs run thru my hands over the years being involved with Pandamonium. I get to hand pick my personal discs from stacks and stacks of discs so when I see something out of the ordinary, I note it. Im not saying latewesternsky doesnt have a lot of knowledge but combined we have a lot more and we should be working together and sharing information to further everyone's knowledge.
Yep I know, I had seen mistake labeled Valkyrie in all but DX, where they were using the Road Runner mold not for all discs but some starting in 2012-2013, then soon after some RV discs came out for Innova in 2014-2015 time for a bit as limited run on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop before it all got sorted out in production. So I am not surprised that in 2010 or so the Vulcan topped Destroyer discs were out for a bit before a relabel of an un-popular Destroyer type to sell the disc better as a new mold. I Just don't get why a company as big as Innova can get discs the company makes for the other 3 brands to be a good bit more consistent for a disc year after year and Innova discs are all over the map?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post

Kinda experienced something along those lines. A) I don't throw 450 but can crack 400.

I turn something over because of horrible OAT and sigh in disgust about my wrist roll.

2 people on my card have to tell me its because of how far i throw or how much power I have. yeah, no, that was OAT not power. Throwing 60' farther than people that max out at under 300' doesn't mean I have the velocity to make OS discs flippy.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

More on topic i have a much smaller sample size but Star Destroyers? i've not seen one at any weight that is flippy or near flippy.

DX? yes but those can look and feel like different discs. Pro plastic? yes. That has given me off the shelf discs that are even better than cycled for wear.

I don't know if I would like a flippy off the shelf Star or Champ. I really like the way those plastics feel beat up vs fresh. Flippy off the shelf Pro i love though.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 350 Times in 217 Posts

Philo tour series Destroyers will always have a place in my bag. Like to support the man, and upper 160s Destroyers have a part to play in a medium-armed game when wind is constant.