Old 07-02-2020, 03:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 189 Times in 110 Posts

I throw some recent run Star Destroyers at 175g (one bottom stamped the other with a large mech stamp). There's one hole at a course I regularly play where you can let rip on a slight downhill (1 in 30 incline perhaps) there's often a slight headwind.

When you say 'turn and burn' or 'flippy' are people meaning it will come out of your hand on a gentle hyzer then turn throughout the flight over 250' to then cut roll before any fade, or is it that in the first 100' it's become a throller?

My most recent throw on the hole mentioned did that slow turn and then cut rolled. I figured I need something more stable for that shot. Should I search for more stable Destroyers for that situation, look to another disc mold entirely or simply hyzer harder? My shot usually finishes at 300-350' on that throw. I could stand to get another 100' out of it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 126 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I throw some recent run Star Destroyers at 175g (one bottom stamped the other with a large mech stamp). There's one hole at a course I regularly play where you can let rip on a slight downhill (1 in 30 incline perhaps) there's often a slight headwind.

When you say 'turn and burn' or 'flippy' are people meaning it will come out of your hand on a gentle hyzer then turn throughout the flight over 250' to then cut roll before any fade, or is it that in the first 100' it's become a throller?

My most recent throw on the hole mentioned did that slow turn and then cut rolled. I figured I need something more stable for that shot. Should I search for more stable Destroyers for that situation, look to another disc mold entirely or simply hyzer harder? My shot usually finishes at 300-350' on that throw. I could stand to get another 100' out of it.
Sounds more like OAT or disc wobble then anything. Even understable Destroyers can handle mild headwinds and not cut roll. I would guess you are FH, wrist rolling. I just never heard of throwing a Destroyer on hyzer and seeing it cut roll, unless the wind is 25-30+.

Possibly you got some freak discs, but I would say it's more form issues. Sure you can buy some more overstable discs too if you want.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:

If I say "turn and burn" it means I'm releasing a disc flat or slightly hyzer and having it immediately turn over into the ground. It isn't a gentle turn, its a violent, quick one. Basically a throller. Obviously this can be exacerbated by throwing into a headwind.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts

Found this bad boy on my home course this morning. Appears to be brand new, unmarked, 168 grams. Decided to give it a rip and lol my noodle arm is not ready for a destroyer. Going to set this thing aside and keep throwing my dx eagles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Sounds more like OAT or disc wobble then anything. Even understable Destroyers can handle mild headwinds and not cut roll. I would guess you are FH, wrist rolling. I just never heard of throwing a Destroyer on hyzer and seeing it cut roll, unless the wind is 25-30+.

Possibly you got some freak discs, but I would say it's more form issues. Sure you can buy some more overstable discs too if you want.
I'm RHBH dominant, it was a moderate headwind (not sure really how strong) and I didn't get much air under it (it followed that downward incline quite closely), my fieldwork is usually with a stack of baseline putters and I tend to get around 250' - 275' with them, they flip up, glide then fade, one in ten I get hold of the disc and it turns throughout out to 280'+ (it gets to bushes by that time so don't know how far it would end up). So I don't think I have any significant OAT as standard in my drive. The hyzer was minimal, just off flat I think.
I usually throw them and get the flight described earlier in the thread for about 350' power. Perhaps its just I didn't give it enough air and the headwind was stronger out on the fairway than where the drive started. I guess I'd just like to know what people would reach for in that situation regardless of what distance they threw.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Birdie Member

Or maybe the 400' of power shot shape (I often get a bit of turn but there's often some headwind). I don't know. I don't think I throw it that far but maybe I'm just too wary of claiming internet distance.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 126 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
I'm RHBH dominant, it was a moderate headwind (not sure really how strong) and I didn't get much air under it (it followed that downward incline quite closely), my fieldwork is usually with a stack of baseline putters and I tend to get around 250' - 275' with them, they flip up, glide then fade, one in ten I get hold of the disc and it turns throughout out to 280'+ (it gets to bushes by that time so don't know how far it would end up). So I don't think I have any significant OAT as standard in my drive. The hyzer was minimal, just off flat I think.
I usually throw them and get the flight described earlier in the thread for about 350' power. Perhaps its just I didn't give it enough air and the headwind was stronger out on the fairway than where the drive started. I guess I'd just like to know what people would reach for in that situation regardless of what distance they threw.
OK, yes I would look for a more stable Destroyer then. Throwing downhill is going to put the nose down even more so you will need to stable up to counter act the nose angle. Plus the headwind and boom it's turning and burning.

Do the opposite obviously throwing uphill and same downwind obviously, disc will hyzer out sooner so go for more flip.

Check out PLH and look for a higher one.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 13 Posts

Anyone know the status on Calvin 2020 Destroyer? I can’t find it on any web sites.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 195 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by podskiii View Post
Anyone know the status on Calvin 2020 Destroyer? I can’t find it on any web sites.
I bought a couple a few months back. Seems like tour series stuff has been lagging since the shutdown.

Niced: (1)

Old 07-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 210 Times in 147 Posts

the first run swirl philos are the answer to the "right" kind of flight. their is a reason folks are asking 45-60 on ebay.

I carry these exclusively in the fall and spring. they are a softer grade of star. the grip is unreal.