Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,174 Times in 2,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Gotta love the thread drift.

"Let's talk about this disc golf tournament in Minnesota."

[300 posts later]

"THEY SHOULD PLANT MORE TREES AT A UNIVERSITY IN SOUTH CAROLINA!"
My favorite are the Karens complaining about Nikko taking too much time to putt.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 135 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Gotta love the thread drift.

"Let's talk about this disc golf tournament in Minnesota."

[300 posts later]

"THEY SHOULD PLANT MORE TREES AT A UNIVERSITY IN SOUTH CAROLINA!"
Not really a drift, it pertains to the design of the Preserve versus other tournaments. Ropes, no ropes. It's all on topic.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
That's a much erroneous throw though then throwing 500 feet and skipping to the left of a rope. Luck should be taken out of the game while still making it challenging without stupid ropes or silly clowns mouths for mandos.

It's simply a bad course or design if you have to add ropes. JMO.
If you miss 100-200 feet wide fairway on 500 feet drive by going 1 feet over OB line then what's the problem? Look at the width of the fairways in Preserve. All rough should have been OB in there.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
I can't see a Univeristy saying, no we don't want more trees on our disc course. Sure they may want to pick and choose what kind and where, so be it. That's fine.
I think you are dramatically underestimating typical university behavior with regard to something like landscaping of the property. Getting a bench shifted five feet is a titanic effort at times. If Winthrop doesn't have a year-round particular image of a fairway that matches up with what Innova wants for the Stadium Course - there's no way they're getting trees there. Winthrop won't even keep all of the Stadium Course holes in year round, I'd be shocked if they're interested in landscaping for those same holes at all. With or without donated trees and such. I'm just basing this on what seems typical to me having attended a few Universities and worked closely with administration on issues both related and unrelated to disc golf across the past decade in grad school stints.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 116
Niced 722 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
My favorite are the Karens complaining about Nikko taking too much time to putt.
You would think it dramatically affected people's lives based on the constant complaints.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 154
Niced 628 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandelius View Post
If you miss 100-200 feet wide fairway on 500 feet drive by going 1 feet over OB line then what's the problem? Look at the width of the fairways in Preserve. All rough should have been OB in there.
There's a definite tightrope to walk there. The ability to scramble is a vital skill in disc golf. You don't necessarily want to rope off all the rough as OB. Sure it costs a stroke, but then the players get to take their spot back on the fairway with an easy run up and an easy shot shape. Leaving them in the bushes means they might have to make a standstill, stretched out, off-angle shot. If they execute their scramble well, then they should get marginally rewarded.
But on the other hand, you're right that a lot of these shots didn't suffer any punishment for being off-line. Tall grass isn't much punishment. Thick bushes can be. You have to pick and choose where you put the OB line such that you're still forcing the players to scramble sometimes and take an OB stroke at other times.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 135 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I think you are dramatically underestimating typical university behavior with regard to something like landscaping of the property. Getting a bench shifted five feet is a titanic effort at times. If Winthrop doesn't have a year-round particular image of a fairway that matches up with what Innova wants for the Stadium Course - there's no way they're getting trees there. Winthrop won't even keep all of the Stadium Course holes in year round, I'd be shocked if they're interested in landscaping for those same holes at all. With or without donated trees and such. I'm just basing this on what seems typical to me having attended a few Universities and worked closely with administration on issues both related and unrelated to disc golf across the past decade in grad school stints.
Of course red tape would be involved, yes I get your point. It may be difficult to jump through the hoops. They likely would want to know what kind of trees and where they are going. Still it is not at all being over critical not see the course progress overtime. Less ropes, more trees.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Of course red tape would be involved, yes I get your point. It may be difficult to jump through the hoops. They likely would want to know what kind of trees and where they are going. Still it is not at all being over critical not see the course progress overtime. Less ropes, more trees.
Your post count.

Nice.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 238 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Your post count.

Nice.
Chris - maybe I'm missing something here? What's his post count got to do with anything? Is it too low to have an opinion? Or (most likely) was his post count some special number when you made the post (it's 71 at my viewing)?

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing about his post count that you noticed and niced.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 917 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Chris - maybe I'm missing something here? What's his post count got to do with anything? Is it too low to have an opinion? Or (most likely) was his post count some special number when you made the post (it's 71 at my viewing)?

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing about his post count that you noticed and niced.
oldmandiscer's post count is currently 71. But, if you view the list of all his posts, you will see this the post above was #69. So, most likely ChrisWoj's comment refers to the sophomoric connotations of that number.

Niced: (2)