Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 348 Times in 205 Posts
Default DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time

Thought this would be an interesting discussion. There are lots of threads about what discs are good to cycle, but I wanted to offer up what I believe to be the best. The DX Banshee
Iíd rank the DX Banshee slightly ahead of a DX Roc, which may not be a popular opinion, but hear me out.

What makes a good cycling mold? In my opinion, it is a mold that can cover multiple slots in your bag in various stages of wear.

I donít think there is a mold out there that can cover more slots than a DX banshee, including a Roc.

Take a look at this excellent post by SlowPlastic in the different slots heís looking to cover with his fairway drivers:

For example these are the fairway slots I want in my bag:
-moderately understable (hyzer flip for woods, mild turnover on flat shots)
-straight-stable (flat shots that go straight with barely any fade, anhyzers that hold the line)
-stable (flat shots that will not drift right, holds sweep hyzers, will fade a bit for consistency and range)
-stable/overstable (more OS, will never leak right, will fade at the end, possibly faster so range is same as "straight-stable" but with fade)
-very OS "Firebird" slot (power staight to fade, hyzers, flex shots, skip shots, trick shots)

I have a banshee that Iíve taken from new to super thrashed, and it has has covered every one of these slots. The ďmiddleĒ three is where it excels the most. Some players might not find a fresh dx Banshee is beefy enough for that OS slot, especially if they are used to firebirds. That said, the range from stable-overstable thru straight stable, I donít think there is a better fairway driver. It powers down enough to cover your OS mid slot, and a beat banshee will glide dead straight for days. Itís like a slightly shorter teebird with less OAT sensitivity.

Last fun fact about the DX banshee. A thrashed DX banshee is the best forehand roller disc Iíve ever thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,211 Times in 845 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

After reading this I would agree if your title read, "DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time for me".

So many different throwing styles which makes the biggest difference for which discs works for any particular player.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 916 Times in 394 Posts

The hard part though is keeping one in your butter zones at all time. One hard tree hit and your stable flyer could now your hyzer flip disc.

I keep several seasoned, flippy discs in the bag but depending on full mold cycles make me nervous just because they’re always in a state of change.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,221 Times in 610 Posts

I'm just here for the Banshee love Won't argue about Rocks.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
The hard part though is keeping one in your butter zones at all time. One hard tree hit and your stable flyer could now your hyzer flip disc.

I keep several seasoned, flippy discs in the bag but depending on full mold cycles make me nervous just because theyíre always in a state of change.

Iíve heard people say this, and Iíve drilled first available with my Banshee more times than I care to admit, but Iíve never seen this drastic of a flight change from one tree hit. I guess YMMV based on your power...Iím getting Banshees out to 320ish, and even my most beat one isnít hyzer fliptastic or anything. Def dead straight with a slight right turn, but not to the point where Iím nervous to throw them. Now Iíve got some beat dx eagles that are super flippy, which is why I think they pair so well with Banshees

Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 916 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Iíve heard people say this, and Iíve drilled first available with my Banshee more times than I care to admit, but Iíve never seen this drastic of a flight change from one tree hit. I guess YMMV based on your power...Iím getting Banshees out to 320ish, and even my most beat one isnít hyzer fliptastic or anything. Def dead straight with a slight right turn, but not to the point where Iím nervous to throw them. Now Iíve got some beat dx eagles that are super flippy, which is why I think they pair so well with Banshees

I don't mean that 100% literally. I have had discs become flippy mid-round on me before though, and it was very frustrating. I definitely don't have a big arm, but cycles just seem like a lot to maintain personally.

That said, the banshee is a great opportunity as OP has described, just not my cup of tea to chase wear levels with DX.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 171
Niced 351 Times in 167 Posts

The rim on the banshee is thick/blunt enough that it should wear slowly. I have a DX in the bag that has taken some punishment and is still fairly overstable.

I tend to agree with the OP that the banshee has the potential to be one of the best cycling molds. As much as I love Roc's in stages of wear, they don't start out overstable enough for a cycle to cover the full range of stabilities.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,211 Times in 845 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I thought the Roc was a good wind disc one time. I was so wrong the bogey laughed at me.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
After reading this I would agree if your title read, "DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time for me".

So many different throwing styles which makes the biggest difference for which discs works for any particular player.

I guess it depends on how you define ďbest cycling discĒ. Imo, itís a disc that can cover the most slots in the bag across various stages of wear, and itís slots in the bag that every player needs. While I agree that there are different throwing styles, I think that pretty much everyone needs something between their putters and distance drivers, right? Some people go Roc - control/distance driver. Some people go putter - fairway and use mids sparingly. The thing with a banshee is itís slow enough to power down and cover that mid slot, and the beat ones are sneaky long and can definitely get out there further than any mid, and as far as most fairway drivers. Lastly, you donít have to ďbookendĒ with a banshee. DX Banshees off the shelf are plenty stable and fight wind as good as any disc Iíve thrown.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I thought the Roc was a good wind disc one time. I was so wrong the bogey laughed at me.
Really? Iíve thrown into some stiff headwinds out here in Texas, and Iíve never had a fresh DX Roc flip on me unless I got the nose up