Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,218 Times in 608 Posts

Pro Thunderbirds have been reported to have Valkyrie-esque flights after some wear, maybe check one of those out instead of chasing down an OS Valk?

I love the Valk because of it's turn and fade - I'm a hyzerflip and release angle whore. None (well some) of that flat stuff.

Or like 3P said buy a Viking...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 844 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
It sounds like the cons outweigh the pros for these. I've been digging pro plastic and the occasional dx lately anyway. Which sounds like a good thing.
I like the looks of the Halo discs, but the flight descriptions here have turned me off.

I was just out throwing three Pro Valks during lunch and couldn't be happier with them. Fantastic flyers!

The only problem with them (and I've seen this on most of my Pro Valks) is the sharp parting line on the bottom of the wing. Ouch.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,397 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
...sharp parting line on the bottom of the wing...
Yeah, that hurts for sure.
A file will remove that flashing with ease. And it is PDGA legal from my understanding of PDGA rule 813.01.B

Or, if you can tough it out, that flashing will wear off relatively quickly since it is Pro. Pro Valks are definitlely yummy and worth the flashing hassles. Not all Pro Valks have that BTW. The ones I picked up last year from Innova East's warehouse didn't have the flashing. Sorry to hear yours do

Niced: (1)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 97 Times in 38 Posts

Shouldn't have lead on that I'm in need of a more OS Valk to fill a spot in the bag, as beat up Starfires or Pro starfires fill this for me.

It's more that I'm suckered into it. Big fan of the Valk and the idea of a more stable one intrigues me. More curiosity and excitement than necessity.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 1,218 Times in 608 Posts

Or JuanA spin the disc into some carpet. Readjust and repeat. The friction will get rid of the bottom flashing and knock a bit of the "new disc rim" feel in one go. Been doing it for years myself.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 910 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
The only problem with them (and I've seen this on most of my Pro Valks) is the sharp parting line on the bottom of the wing. Ouch.

I keep a fine sanding sponge around for buffing up new discs. Abrupt seams and flashing irritate me, so while I'm not grinding off the wing or anything, I definitely feel around for any ragged detail and make it nice before I tear up my fingers with it.

Actually my glow champ Valk X-out was probably the worst I've felt out of the box, but cleaned up great.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-15-2020, 06:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 166 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I keep a fine sanding sponge around for buffing up new discs. Abrupt seams and flashing irritate me, so while I'm not grinding off the wing or anything, I definitely feel around for any ragged detail and make it nice before I tear up my fingers with it.

Actually my glow champ Valk X-out was probably the worst I've felt out of the box, but cleaned up great.
I've got a new Glow Champ Valk but it didn't feel or throw right so I haven't used it yet. I'm guessing this is the issue. Hopefully this fixes it!