#11  
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Lastchancer88 Lastchancer88 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Here’s a terrible quality video from behind. The sun was setting.

https://youtu.be/1AEFEzRPJHE
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,184
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts
Default

The rotation happens in the elbow between the upper arm and forehand. The wrist should stay fixed relative to the forearm.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Lastchancer88 Lastchancer88 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
The rotation happens in the elbow between the upper arm and forehand. The wrist should stay fixed relative to the forearm.
So is this me rolling my wrist/flipping it backwards? The first two of these images seem positive to me and then the third feels like its outta nowhere. I wonder if I’m trying to “throw” at the end instead of letting the disc rip out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB7FDDDA-44BD-40CC-B235-FC81913EBAFA.jpg (40.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg F8DD03C8-C59B-49B2-B197-0E0E0B333D6C.jpg (40.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 6DA332AF-71C7-4CAE-8D04-7211CAC4BAB1.jpg (43.8 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-27-2020, 12:07 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,184
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Your hand is rising upwards because your shoulder is rising at the same time. Shoulder is rising because you aren’t throwing from the ground up.

Looks like you are picking up the right leg instead of swinging it forward. Need to get taller on the left leg to allow the right leg to swing forward underneath you.

Practice standstill without throwing a disc. Weight shift and land on the right leg to get a feel for using the bounce off the ground to add power to the forward momentum. Play around with your posture and shoulder angles to maintain balance and maximize efficiency.

It’s easier to identify wrist/grip and swing plane issues during the one leg drill. If you are throwing nose down in the one leg drill, then the nose up issues are caused by something further up the line.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,184
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchancer88 View Post
So is this me rolling my wrist/flipping it backwards? The first two of these images seem positive to me and then the third feels like its outta nowhere. I wonder if I’m trying to “throw” at the end instead of letting the disc rip out.
Yeah, you need to get the elbow and upper arm higher so that your wrist is hanging below the elbow. Don’t rotate your wrist.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-27-2020, 12:55 PM
azplaya25's Avatar
azplaya25 azplaya25 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 570
Niced 346 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Your hand is rising upwards because your shoulder is rising at the same time. Shoulder is rising because you aren’t throwing from the ground up.

Looks like you are picking up the right leg instead of swinging it forward. Need to get taller on the left leg to allow the right leg to swing forward underneath you.

Practice standstill without throwing a disc. Weight shift and land on the right leg to get a feel for using the bounce off the ground to add power to the forward momentum. Play around with your posture and shoulder angles to maintain balance and maximize efficiency.

It’s easier to identify wrist/grip and swing plane issues during the one leg drill. If you are throwing nose down in the one leg drill, then the nose up issues are caused by something further up the line.
Man I have the exact same nose up issues. This is good advice. Think I’m going to go back to the one leg drill and try to dial it in
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,184
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Hold the disc out in front of you flat relative to the ground. Then raise your elbow up. The disc should now be angled down without having to rotate your wrist.

With the elbow up and out, you can get your lats involved in the throw and your other big muscle groups will follow. With the elbow down and in, you can’t use your lats.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Lastchancer88 Lastchancer88 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Alright so yesterday I did some field work. Also got some new aviar classic putters so I had my basket which helped with the height of my videos! Here's a vid of me doing some one leg stand stills. There's no slomos, but multiple shots help because I vary a lot on my throws depending on what I'm focused on.

https://youtu.be/k6iTwcv7v58

I'm definitely pulling through too low. The third throw shows that pretty clearly I'm down near my hips almost. In my backswings I can see the disc is off of parallel to my forearm which is super frustrating because I actively try to grip in a way that keeps it in line. I think it's coming from the backswing getting lazy and I open my wrist up and backwards to "reach" more. I also have a tendency to bring the disc behind my body when I get lazy.

https://youtu.be/CJ4EDfYjv5E

Ok here's a throw from behind. Something small I noticed recently is my plant foot slides to the right when I throw. Is that from not bracing on it hard enough? I know in general I need to work on using my lower body more.

I was really throwing my left side into it (for me anyway). This whole field session moved in a direction of less arm and more body rotation to get power which felt pretty good. I felt like I had some good releases if I held on a little tighter, my understable discs actually acted understable, but the videos show a lot of wobble. I'm assuming that comes from the disc being off axis with my forearm and shoulder swoop?

I could go on about every detail I see (that are probably small and less important than the big things I'm doing wrong) but I would love some help on the one or two things I should fix first so I can try to go change by change. I would love to eliminate this disc wobble if anyone has tips. I get too much in my head currently with 5 things to try and do. I used to do the same thing in golf.

Sidenote, how does one embed the videos? I tried using the youtube embed link and the preview shows it as text still.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Lastchancer88 Lastchancer88 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 20
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Hold the disc out in front of you flat relative to the ground. Then raise your elbow up. The disc should now be angled down without having to rotate your wrist.

With the elbow up and out, you can get your lats involved in the throw and your other big muscle groups will follow. With the elbow down and in, you can’t use your lats.
In these vids I just posted I swear I felt like my elbow was up and pulling through but of course looking again it's definitely not

I'll keep working on it. It feels like I'm rounding if I keep my elbow too high for the throw, but maybe I'm not bending and extending it enough during the throw. I'm guessing if I got this down better it would help with disc wobble?
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 09-01-2020, 12:44 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Posts: 16,729
Niced 3,916 Times in 2,387 Posts
Default

Can't see feet in OLD, but I think you can setup with rear foot a little further back and actually shift a little. I don't think you are swinging too low, your CoG is popping up from your rear leg pushing you up late, instead of driving forward early and dropping into the plant.

Your rear elbow is dragging behind, needs to lead forward.

Your front foot "slides" to the right to get back underneath your CoG. Your front foot is planting too far over to the left from your CoG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-IN1yMQXc#t=5m


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Practically giving these away!! Efan08 The Marketplace 23 12-11-2012 11:28 AM
Giving The Champ Groove Another Chance!! discflyer13 Discs 35 08-03-2011 12:32 PM
Giving a little back DGWookie Course Maint. & Equipment 15 10-08-2009 05:18 PM
About giving away discs runnaman General Disc Golf Chat 66 07-12-2009 05:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.