Old 09-01-2020, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 672 Times in 333 Posts

Seems like your mind is fixed on throwing with your arm. Your practice swings on one-leg are all arm instead of rotating your torso/shoulders through.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2020, 05:32 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Seems like your mind is fixed on throwing with your arm. Your practice swings on one-leg are all arm instead of rotating your torso/shoulders through.
Totally! I'm trying to work through how the mental and physical side come together to not use all arm.

I've always loved this vid of PMcB but felt like his timing was off from what I thought it should be. Now obviously he's PMcB so his timing is rarely if ever off and I just haven't gotten it. I think this slomo shows what I haven't been able to understand/physically replicate which is that the weight all goes forward onto the foot AND the left side comes through before the right arm really projects the disc away from the body. In my head I would hit my left shoulder every time if I tried to do this.

It's clear to me now that all his weight is being coiled into his front side and then released only as the disc is almost pushed forward away from him as his body rotates open to the target. The release of this shot is just too good on video as well.

All that to say, I think this is also a good example of getting torso/shoulders through the shot? Possibly just a good example of everything. If for some reason the link doesn't work correctly the slomo is at 23:48 of the vid.

https://youtu.be/lbO9PMGFyTo?t=1428
Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Can't see feet in OLD, but I think you can setup with rear foot a little further back and actually shift a little. I don't think you are swinging too low, your CoG is popping up from your rear leg pushing you up late, instead of driving forward early and dropping into the plant.

Your rear elbow is dragging behind, needs to lead forward.

Your front foot "slides" to the right to get back underneath your CoG. Your front foot is planting too far over to the left from your CoG.
I am very guilty of not ensuring video quality. My apologies. I'm gonna try to combine what you and Mo have suggested into a session here in the next couple days and see what happens. More slow throws without a disc and some video work.

Thank you guys for the advice so far. I do feel progress, it's just slow for my body to cement it in.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,916 Times in 2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchancer88 View Post
Totally! I'm trying to work through how the mental and physical side come together to not use all arm.

I've always loved this vid of PMcB but felt like his timing was off from what I thought it should be. Now obviously he's PMcB so his timing is rarely if ever off and I just haven't gotten it. I think this slomo shows what I haven't been able to understand/physically replicate which is that the weight all goes forward onto the foot AND the left side comes through before the right arm really projects the disc away from the body. In my head I would hit my left shoulder every time if I tried to do this.

It's clear to me now that all his weight is being coiled into his front side and then released only as the disc is almost pushed forward away from him as his body rotates open to the target. The release of this shot is just too good on video as well.

All that to say, I think this is also a good example of getting torso/shoulders through the shot? Possibly just a good example of everything. If for some reason the link doesn't work correctly the slomo is at 23:48 of the vid.

https://youtu.be/lbO9PMGFyTo?t=1428
If you keep your right upper arm angle wide, you should never hit your left shoulder. You can also put a line down your front foot and disc should stay wide to the left tee side and body stays inside to the right. Swing side vs body side.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
If you keep your right upper arm angle wide, you should never hit your left shoulder. You can also put a line down your front foot and disc should stay wide to the left tee side and body stays inside to the right. Swing side vs body side.
I think I finally get it. I’ve watched your vid a couple times and that combined with HUB’s shoulder timing thread compared to these stills seems tp make it obvious:

In this first pic I’m at the peak of hugging myself and need to have the disc straight from my chest instead of upper arm almost pulled under my chin

The second pic is the moment the disc is slipping out of my hand way earlier than it should because of the rounding (which explains why if I grip really hard I sometimes get way more distance and sometimes yank the disc way right)

The third is approximately where I should be when the disc leaves my hand by extending out from my chest with no rounding right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D08DA4E-C20D-45DD-873B-906632D69C60.jpg (62.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2C67AEAB-3E65-439E-A50A-73BBD837978A.jpg (62.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg EED60899-2B70-4E21-9C29-8C7E1AD03D2D.jpg (61.9 KB, 16 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:38 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Alright fellas. I’m breaking this down into single part improvements for my ego and also for the sake of actually marking progress. I spent 2 days working on tucking my left arm. I feel pretty good about that here (apologies for vertical video):

https://youtu.be/PUojpTLpzXg
Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Arms look good. Need to get your rear hip/butt further back behind your ankle so it's balanced/leveraged to wipe forward down the wall.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:39 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I set up a throwing net to work from home more. It's kind of a pain to be in a field and film and review and try to make changes. Much easier at home. It needs a few tweaks but 4 60 kilo coffee bags attached together works pretty well. I tried a tarp but it sounded like a gunshot and much too loud. Only issue I had today was zip ties can be broken with a good putter throw. Thankfully there's a tall fence behind and not a window .

As for the throws, I am working on feeling like I'm sitting into the brace. Keeping my weight centered. I noticed in a couple vids (I didn't keep) my foot didn't slide sideways like it was doing. But I popped to the left after the throw. Ideally I would pop straight up after the throw right? That would be a good indicator that my balance was centered throughout the throw?

I am also trying to loosen my arm muscles so it's more springy and less strong arming. I can see my reachback was early in this but it felt like a really good throw. The disc at release looks much flatter than any previous video. The whole followthrough felt much more level. I also broke through my ziptie so it had some heat on it for a star aviar.

Normal speed and then slomo from the side (Also, apologies for the lack of feet in the vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YLBfkPLo8
Old 10-14-2020, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

I think your stance is staggered too closed and you get stuck behind your front leg with your rear leg fully extended/locked out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=2m

Try walking perpendicular to target, you will land more balanced already on front leg to swing on.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Old 10-15-2020, 11:27 AM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
I think your stance is staggered too closed and you get stuck behind your front leg with your rear leg fully extended/locked out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=2m

Try walking perpendicular to target, you will land more balanced already on front leg to swing on.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

So is it more important to keep my legs from fully extending or getting my weight all the way onto the front? Or both? I think I know where I'm supposed to be at the finish but getting there is a little confusing in terms of x-step to brace to finish in my lower body.