Old 09-08-2020, 02:45 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,591 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
But then why make a regular R-Pro Pole Cat in the first place? I mean the R-Pro plastic runs from very floppy Gumputt like plastic to being like the old flexible Pro plastic for the Rhyno in most runs after 2010.
You are recommending a great mold with a very small but rabid fanbase being made in a plastic that makes most people immediately ignore whatever the disc is.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 199
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 973 Times in 611 Posts

I figured this was the place to ask (as opposed to the lid lovers thread).

As far as lids, I basically started with the Polecat and never gave anything else a chance because it's too good at what it does. But if you weren't throwing a Polecat, what other lid would you be throwing? Is there anything else I actually ought to try?
Old 09-13-2020, 08:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 102 Times in 66 Posts

I threw polecats for a long while. I have a star sonic now. If I could find a star polecat, I'd buy that too.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,401 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

As far as lids, I basically started with the Polecat and never gave anything else a chance because it's too good at what it does. But if you weren't throwing a Polecat, what other lid would you be throwing? Is there anything else I actually ought to try?
Sonic for me... if you want a DG lid. The dog discs SuperHero and SuperStar are premium plastic versions of the same mold.

Yikun Claws is supposed to be very Polecat-ish but have more HSS. I haven’t thrown one yet.

For non DG lids, the UltraStar is great and a no-brainer.

Also the Wham-O Freestyle is relatively unknown and has fantastic HSS. It is slightly smaller diameter and weighs 160g. I highly recommend this one.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote:

People complain about ProD (for a reason...FIX IT, DISCRAFT!!! ) but the Rattler is a great disc and should be tried. You just have to buy two for every one Polecat because...ProD.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 199
Niced 973 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Sonic for me... if you want a DG lid. The dog discs SuperHero and SuperStar are premium plastic versions of the same mold.

Yikun Claws is supposed to be very Polecat-ish but have more HSS. I haven’t thrown one yet.

For non DG lids, the UltraStar is great and a no-brainer.

Also the Wham-O Freestyle is relatively unknown and has fantastic HSS. It is slightly smaller diameter and weighs 160g. I highly recommend this one.
For some reason I've never been a fan of fastbacks. (however, I've never tried a Sonic, or Koda's famous Doggy Style).

Speaking of the Ultrastar, have any of you actually bagged it as part of a full disc golf setup? I love throwing one, but I feel like disc golf lids (Polecat for me) carry the course load better. Maybe I just haven't given it a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
People complain about ProD (for a reason...FIX IT, DISCRAFT!!! ) but the Rattler is a great disc and should be tried. You just have to buy two for every one Polecat because...ProD.
Has Discraft ever done alternate plastics for the Rattler? Elite X or old school TP? X, even X soft, would certainly be tempting.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 477 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
I threw polecats for a long while. I have a star sonic now. If I could find a star polecat, I'd buy that too.
The champ polecat is analogous to the polecat as the star sonic is to a supersonic I think.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote:
Has Discraft ever done alternate plastics for the Rattler? Elite X or old school TP? X, even X soft, would certainly be tempting.
They ran ESP Rattlers for the Memorial this year. I'm not sure about any other plastics.

In the 90's the plastic that was in the ProD slot for Discraft was called "Competition" plastic and it did not suck like ProD does. A really old-school Rattler would be better than a current run, but you don't see those every day.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 830 Times in 400 Posts

You can't go wrong with a The Upshot. I own a couple old glows and the plastic is butter (a soft but durable DX type). They fly like an US PC.
Birdies are better wind fighters and don't have the PC glide which can be a positive. Premie birdies are fun discs for heavy wooded rounds.
Zephyrs are slow, accurate flyers. Some of the coolest, wood shots i have tossed have been with a light Zephyr/Makani. You can work cool, Hyzer-flip shots at slower speeds.
Rattlers are smaller frisbees. The depth can throw me off if i have not handled one in awhile. The baselines have great lid glide.
The Doggy Style flies nice. It feels good in the hand and comes in a nice ER'ish plastic. These can fly far.
The Big Dog is deep and surprisingly OS. It does not want to glide. It wants to fade hard.
Sonics are cool, but i don't like them on the course. It's a personal thing.
I just started bagging a Whitler (with my PC tucked inside) and it's been a fun addition. It somehow knows when it's close to chains.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 102 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
The champ polecat is analogous to the polecat as the star sonic is to a supersonic I think.
Personally not a big fan of champ plastic these days but I would still buy one if I came across one in or around my color