Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What skill do you desire the most?
Long bomber--to throw 500' with some consistency/aim. 30 23.26%
Accurate thrower--250' on a line most of the time. 17 13.18%
Great putter--100% within C1, 40% within C2. 69 53.49%
Incredible scrambler--90%+ scramble rate, even deep in woods. 5 3.88%
Nothing--I am near perfect already (show rings to prove it). 2 1.55%
Other--please state. 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Countchunkula's Avatar
Countchunkula Countchunkula is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,384
Niced 349 Times in 165 Posts
Default

If we are talking about playing for fun, then bomber for certain. I love watching discs fly.

Competitively, I would want an improved mental game. For whatever reason, I'm terrible at playing the percentages and go for the low percentage (heroic) shot way too often. I know I'd score much better playing boring golf, but I'm usually playing for fun. In the rare times I'm playing competitively, I have trouble flipping the switch to playing smart.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-18-2020, 04:00 PM
txmxer txmxer is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 317
Niced 253 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
If we are talking about playing for fun, then bomber for certain. I love watching discs fly.

Competitively, I would want an improved mental game. For whatever reason, I'm terrible at playing the percentages and go for the low percentage (heroic) shot way too often. I know I'd score much better playing boring golf, but I'm usually playing for fun. In the rare times I'm playing competitively, I have trouble flipping the switch to playing smart.
Do you practice your mental game?

It may sound silly, but strategy is a skill that can be honed.

Having a plan for the situations you may face in the next round will help you achieve your goal.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-18-2020, 04:09 PM
MaxFlight MaxFlight is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 323
Niced 193 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Voted putting, but would also opt for a really strong forehand game.

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-18-2020, 04:21 PM
TheOtherBill's Avatar
TheOtherBill TheOtherBill is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 142
Posts: 1,224
Niced 334 Times in 158 Posts
Default

I prefer wooded courses so accuracy for me
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Countchunkula's Avatar
Countchunkula Countchunkula is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,384
Niced 349 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Do you practice your mental game?

It may sound silly, but strategy is a skill that can be honed.

Having a plan for the situations you may face in the next round will help you achieve your goal.
It's funny, this is a strength for me in most other pursuits. It's only a struggle with disc golf. I seem incapable of resisting to urge to try to park holes that I would be better off playing for par. I can usually recognize what the smart play is, but end up going for the glorious gold (inevitably resulting in shameful bronze).

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 PM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 585
Niced 332 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
The skill that would most increase my enjoyment of disc good would be the ability to find time outside of work & family obligations to frolf with my friends.

So, sounds like you’re wishing to be unemployed? And possibly divorced?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 PM
nothinbuttree nothinbuttree is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NE KY
Courses Played: 59
Posts: 198
Niced 144 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
Per another thread, a 500 ft bomber should throw 350/400 ft accurately so that overlaps

Throwing 250' accurately would keep you from having to make putts outside the circle so that overlaps.
Very good points here. If someone is deadly accurate from 250', they are probably getting to 300' at a reasonable accuracy as well. C2 putts are minimized on holes 300' and less for sure, even up to 350' I would think. On 80% of courses in the country, one is likely to have a shot at birdie on most holes with this choice. I honestly thought 250' accurately would be the winner for that type of reasoning. That 250' of accuracy is in the woods too.

OTOH, I thought 500' bombs might get a larger percentage, only because that is either physically possible for someone, or not. I am certainly in the not category. The main thing stopping me from being a deadly putter or approacher is simply reps. But if I threw 100 drives a day til I die I will never throw one 500'.

Another observation is that even though most people's choice so far is to be a deadly putter, the threads on distance seem to far outnumber the threads on putting.

Not too many thread titles here that say "Form check please--I am hitting a 100% putting accuracy wall at 22'."

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-18-2020, 10:49 PM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW, tx
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,217
Niced 617 Times in 298 Posts
Default

bombing 500' would be the most fun and would bring a lot of other skills with it.

but it's a tough choice for me between putting and having a serviceable forehand. my forehand is garbage and that would open up so many scoring opportunities for me. but putting is what really lowers the score. anyone can put in more putting practice but to have 100% in C1... how can you pass that up?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-18-2020, 10:50 PM
BeRReGoN's Avatar
BeRReGoN BeRReGoN is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montreal
Years Playing: 2.4
Posts: 180
Niced 158 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Being able to hold my pee for at least 18 holes

Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 09-18-2020, 11:33 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 632
Posts: 9,500
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
Very good points here. If someone is deadly accurate from 250', they are probably getting to 300' at a reasonable accuracy as well. C2 putts are minimized on holes 300' and less for sure, even up to 350' I would think. On 80% of courses in the country, one is likely to have a shot at birdie on most holes with this choice. I honestly thought 250' accurately would be the winner for that type of reasoning. That 250' of accuracy is in the woods too.

OTOH, I thought 500' bombs might get a larger percentage, only because that is either physically possible for someone, or not. I am certainly in the not category. The main thing stopping me from being a deadly putter or approacher is simply reps. But if I threw 100 drives a day til I die I will never throw one 500'.

Another observation is that even though most people's choice so far is to be a deadly putter, the threads on distance seem to far outnumber the threads on putting.

Not too many thread titles here that say "Form check please--I am hitting a 100% putting accuracy wall at 22'."
im already the 250 accurate thrower

i cant really do much else though

i try to run everything tho and it gets me into trouble but i just play for fun and i love exciting shots

therefore i would take 500 bomber cuz thats moar entertaining for me
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever hit a random wall and just Have no desire to play DG? ThomasOrion General Disc Golf Chat 44 07-03-2018 10:10 PM
Skill Gap AndyJB Technique & Strategy 49 08-11-2014 12:42 PM
Desire for the Same disc cjrogus General Disc Golf Chat 19 02-19-2014 08:48 PM
One Man...One Bag...One Desire. Craton Bag Suggestions & Feedback 12 03-22-2011 10:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.