Old 08-24-2020, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.4
Courses Played: 515
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 387 Times in 159 Posts

Mint Hill is a really fun 9 hole course that gets overshadowed among all of the great, epic Charlotte area courses. And there's Elon. I'm a noodle armed intermediate level player, so I think the Eager Beaver is more fun than the Angry Beaver.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 533
Niced 990 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNicedmeMan View Post
Let's see.

The bachelor is by far the best of the bunch (980ish rated) but we are all used to and like challenging woods golf. Looking at ratings and proximity to the city, I've got canaan, renny, nevin, and hornets nest, is that a good start? I was thinking a lax doubles/triples event would be cool, do any area courses have something on Thursday/Friday/Saturday?

Canaan and bachelor parties do not mix. No alcohol and no smoking and no shenanigans allowed at Canaan. Play Canaan in the morning while you still have hangovers or you are waiting for the breweries to open.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Canaan and bachelor parties do not mix. No alcohol and no smoking and no shenanigans allowed at Canaan. Play Canaan in the morning while you still have hangovers or you are waiting for the breweries to open.
That's a good tip. Any courses on the opposite end of this spectrum?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 236 Times in 106 Posts

All of the rest, basically...

It sounds to me like you're going after the best of the Charlotte courses, with Nevin, Hornet's Nest, and Renaissance. Those are all really great examples of NC golf, and you and your buddies can play in whatever state of mind you prefer.

BUT: Canaan is a killer course. Feels like a different world down there, all bamboo and leafy vegetation. Soil is sandy, so it never really feels wet/muddy. Aside from the no dogs/alcohol policy, it's one of my favorites, and I can't recommend it highly enough as a golf destination. I've seen people get away with some rule-breaking down there, but that's an At Your Own Risk deal.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

Nevin, Hornets and Renny are all tough, challenging courses. Challenging, but great (and must-plays if this is your first time playing in Charlotte)! You'll definitely be tired after those rounds...
Some that are easier on the arms and legs are: Kilbourne, Reedy, Sugaw and Scrapyard. These are all fairly close together and are classics in the Charlotte disc golf scene.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
All of the rest, basically...
Meaning alcohol is tolerated most everywhere else? Still illegal? Any courses where alcohol is permitted?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 236 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uNicedmeMan View Post
Meaning alcohol is tolerated most everywhere else? Still illegal? Any courses where alcohol is permitted?
First: Bill Hicks is the man.

Second: all the Mecklenburg County Parks have a no-alcohol rule. We've found over the decades, from softball leagues to non-sanctioned DG events, that being circumspect and responsible about one's intake tends to cause temporary blindness in anyone who might happen to care enough to say anything about it - from other park users and rangers to law enforcement personnel.
In other words, be respectful of others and don't be out there doing keg-stands. It may not be strictly legal to have some beers out in the woods, but neither is it something that is enforced with any prejudice.
Been doing it for a quarter of a century; never saw, or even heard of, anyone being given a ticket or hassled in any way. They care more about dogs on leashes than anything else.

There are some private courses around that do NOT have rules against alcohol. Brackett's Bluff is one I know of for sure. And that's a fun track, well worth playing. Make sure to donate generously if you go.

(The thing about Camp Canaan is that it is owned by a church. I try to respect their wishes, but I still have a few cigarettes while I'm out there. And I never litter, so....no one ever knows...except me and their God.)

Edit to Add: Short answer: yes, alcohol seems to be tolerated if not condoned. Sorry!

Last edited by EarthRocker; 09-21-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 272
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

I lived there for over 18 months. My suggestions for solid, mainly wooded courses with elevation that challenged me as a 966 rated played, but were still mostly fun -
Nevin
Stumpy Creek (was my personal favorite by far, NEVER busy and some insane holes)
Bradford
Ready Creek
Renaissance
Elon

As far as breweries, I have no clue what is open, but I love hazy IPAs, so would recommend...
Heist in NODA
High Branch in Concord
Sycamore in Midtown
Wooden Robot
and Legal Remedy is an awesome smokehouse/brewery a few blocks from Winthrop, which makes it worth the trip for sure. The course is solid, although open, without ropes

Last edited by superberry; 09-28-2020 at 06:43 PM.