Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

There used to be 2, count em 2 DISC GOLF STORES near me - one 3.7 miles north - Delta Disc Golf (maker of Delta Disc golf Cart) and Airborn Disc Golf like 4 miles south ---- both a nice place to stop by and check things out ---- both have closed so now the closest disc store is a good 45 min drive to the other side of town and its a real pain to get to since theres only 1 highway to cross the cities and river and its under construction / traffic is nuts - its actually like 10 miles from my house but would take forever to drive....ANYWAYS - yeah theres a DICKS SPORTING GOODS closer and ive gone there just to check it out ---- they have a small random stack of innova ALL MISLABELED - in random racks - just disorganized and overprices, like $20 for champ/star - but some of the discs were decent - its a desperation thing though --- I did buy a mini from there just because haha $2.99
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,588 Times in 829 Posts

I can't resist stopping at PIAS to peruse the used selection more than walking around Dick's. I always check out the used frisbees and the hockey gear. I desperately need some better shin protection.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 236 Times in 106 Posts

(raising hand) Yes, I do the same thing at Dick's. One never knows...

The other day (buying a chin strap for my younger son's football helmet), I was shocked - SHOCKED! - to find several Star Destroyers on the rack - along with the aforementioned Roc 3, Daedalus, Aviar, and Groove options. Didn't get one, but I will next time. It's not one I normally have in my bag, but I keep hearing buddies of mine who swear by them. Figure I'll get one and try it out.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 102 Posts

Well, we all know that on line shopping is taking our local shops away from us.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I can't resist stopping at PIAS to peruse the used selection more than walking around Dick's. I always check out the used frisbees and the hockey gear. I desperately need some better shin protection.
pias near me closed before i got into disc golf. Closest ones are like 2 hour drives...but a miracle happened...a store near me (30 mins) started selling used discs going there asap. Dicks is too expensive and if you try to find a disc online to see if the store has something in stock ....ohhhh no too aggravating ...btw when i go any tips for a newbie disc? so far on my hope list is an underworld, a zombee, a teebird and a buzzz...and any super light drivers. (my distance is pitiful)

Last edited by Docxen; 08-12-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

I’ve shopped at Dicks before, but not in a long while. But like others have said always try to hit the PIAS. Sometimes they don’t know quite what they have an dyou can get a deal, other times it’s to expensive and you can’t, but at least you might see some unique stuff.

Academy is better and more variety but still high.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

So... my Dick's has upgraded their DG selection

Last weekend after a round my daughter "needed" to get some stuff from Dick's. I of course went by PIAS first just to see, stuff I liked nothing I really wanted especially at full retail, used selection was not good at the moment.
Get to Dick's with this thread in mind and rather than go to the disc area I head to the opposite side of the store to the ball golf area, I really like the Nike, and few other brands of golf shorts and at times they've had them on clearance. Well what do you know staring right at my face is the bigger and improved DG rack! Disc Golf standing out as you enter the ball golf area of the store. More selection of Innova with lots of Star plastic, some DX and better selection of Champ discs. Still lots of starter sets but also some of the collapsible practice baskets and a bunch of trilogy stuff. I know a lot of folks don't like the burst stuff but i'm a fan and they had a bunch of burst prime discs, plastic i've wanted to try but wasn't wanting to take the gamble online. Stiff board flat in a color I liked I picked up a Truth, EmacTruth and 2 Trespassi. I really want to see how these beat in and if the flight changes different from Lucid as it beats in.
So once again I went straight to the DG area but wasn't even trying to this time... but I bought discs and it almost seems to acknowledge the legitimacy of the sport having it move from the recreational stuff like oversized beer pong and corn hole over to Golf section.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 365
Niced 122 Times in 62 Posts

I sell discs out of my trunk at the local course but every time I'm in Dicks's I do check out their display despite having 150-200 in my car at the time.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 63
Niced 238 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
So... my Dick's has upgraded their DG selection

Last weekend after a round my daughter "needed" to get some stuff from Dick's. I of course went by PIAS first just to see, stuff I liked nothing I really wanted especially at full retail, used selection was not good at the moment.
Get to Dick's with this thread in mind and rather than go to the disc area I head to the opposite side of the store to the ball golf area, I really like the Nike, and few other brands of golf shorts and at times they've had them on clearance. Well what do you know staring right at my face is the bigger and improved DG rack! Disc Golf standing out as you enter the ball golf area of the store. More selection of Innova with lots of Star plastic, some DX and better selection of Champ discs. Still lots of starter sets but also some of the collapsible practice baskets and a bunch of trilogy stuff. I know a lot of folks don't like the burst stuff but i'm a fan and they had a bunch of burst prime discs, plastic i've wanted to try but wasn't wanting to take the gamble online. Stiff board flat in a color I liked I picked up a Truth, EmacTruth and 2 Trespassi. I really want to see how these beat in and if the flight changes different from Lucid as it beats in.
So once again I went straight to the DG area but wasn't even trying to this time... but I bought discs and it almost seems to acknowledge the legitimacy of the sport having it move from the recreational stuff like oversized beer pong and corn hole over to Golf section.
Our Academy has done the opposite. Now our discs are way away from the other sports. On the other side of the camping, by the nerf guns and nerf footballs.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 45
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I found a nice pre-embossed destroyer at my local Dick's not long ago, I was pleasantly surprised!