Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Question for Lat64/Westside fans...

I read all the hype about the Lat64 discs and fell in love with the looks of the GL plastic. I have been playing since July and just started throwing Lat64 a month ago or so.... I'm a noodle arm but feel that that won't be the case forever. I have my moments where I can get it out around 350 or so, just not very often/consistently.

Here's my question.... I am trying to find discs to replace my current lineup, but want to use the GL/tournment type plastics. Love the look of the colorshift stuff..... I'm not really interested in switching to the Opto lines...

My best driver is a 150 Champ Teebird. I have 2, both are 150 and super gummy. One's a 12x and ones an 11x.

I also throw a 170 star eagle pretty far. My next best disc is probably a 169 champ Valk.

I use a pancake flat, super OS 12x champ firebird for my OH throws.

I use a 160 momba for my understable drives...

I don't throw sidearm much, but when I do I normally throw my eagle.

I use a 180 gummy Champ Rock and a TI Buzz for my midrange.

I throw a RFF Wizard, RFF Magnet, and a Soft Glow Anode for my putters.

I am limited right now as there is a lot of snow and I haven't really done much field work.

Here are the discs that I currently have...

Tournament Sword 164. Unthrown
GL Flow. 175 Not much control with this....
GL Halo. 174. Use it now for sidearm hook shots...
GL Havov 172 Unthrown
PE Mirus 168 A few long throws with this, havent used it much yet.
GL Saint 167 and 170. Unthrown
GL Striker 170. Use it now for OS drives where I need lots of fade.
GL River 172,173,175. These all fly like my momba. Big turn and never come back for me. They are long, but very limited for me unless I have a lot of room...
Tournament Warship 178. LOVE this disc. Point and shoot for me.
GL Pain 172 and 178. I like the 178 for OS short shots where I need fade.
GL Fuse 175. Nice slightly understable disc for me.
GL Core 175. Really like this disc. It flies nice and true for me. Its currently on my neighbors roof though......
I have an Opto PURE that is on its way after a nice dye job by Dan Howard.
I also have a frew Legacy discs I'd like to work into my bag.
173 Legacy Rival Unthrown
171 Legacy Rampage unthrown
172 Legacy Cannon. Meat hook....

Is there a disc that I should look for to fill a gap in my bag?

Are all of the GL plastics too heavy for me?

Whats a good OH disc to replace my FB for thumbers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121225_092301.jpg (103.2 KB, 52 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 222 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
I read all the hype about the Lat64 discs and fell in love with the looks of the GL plastic. I have been playing since July and just started throwing Lat64 a month ago or so.... I'm a noodle arm but feel that that won't be the case forever. I have my moments where I can get it out around 350 or so, just not very often/consistently.

Here's my question.... I am trying to find discs to replace my current lineup, but want to use the GL/tournment type plastics. Love the look of the colorshift stuff..... I'm not really interested in switching to the Opto lines...

My best driver is a 150 Champ Teebird. I have 2, both are 150 and super gummy. One's a 12x and ones an 11x. - Saint

I also throw a 170 star eagle pretty far. My next best disc is probably a 169 champ Valk. - Vision

I use a pancake flat, super OS 12x champ firebird for my OH throws. -XXX

I use a 160 momba for my understable drives... -River or Vision

I don't throw sidearm much, but when I do I normally throw my eagle. -Saint

I use a 180 gummy Champ Rock and a TI Buzz for my midrange. - Pain/Heavy Fuse

I throw a RFF Wizard, RFF Magnet, and a Soft Glow Anode for my putters. -Pure

I am limited right now as there is a lot of snow and I haven't really done much field work.

Here are the discs that I currently have...

Tournament Sword 164. Unthrown
GL Flow. 175 Not much control with this....
GL Halo. 174. Use it now for sidearm hook shots...
GL Havov 172 Unthrown
PE Mirus 168 A few long throws with this, havent used it much yet.
GL Saint 167 and 170. Unthrown
GL Striker 170. Use it now for OS drives where I need lots of fade.
GL River 172,173,175. These all fly like my momba. Big turn and never come back for me. They are long, but very limited for me unless I have a lot of room...
Tournament Warship 178. LOVE this disc. Point and shoot for me.
GL Pain 172 and 178. I like the 178 for OS short shots where I need fade.
GL Fuse 175. Nice slightly understable disc for me.
GL Core 175. Really like this disc. It flies nice and true for me. Its currently on my neighbors roof though......
I have an Opto PURE that is on its way after a nice dye job by Dan Howard.
I also have a frew Legacy discs I'd like to work into my bag.
173 Legacy Rival Unthrown
171 Legacy Rampage unthrown
172 Legacy Cannon. Meat hook....

Is there a disc that I should look for to fill a gap in my bag?

Are all of the GL plastics too heavy for me?

Whats a good OH disc to replace my FB for thumbers?
You've got a lot of discs there, and a lot of fast ones. I would knock a few off the top of the list. I bolded my suggestions in your quote. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see 3 direct questions at the end of the post (I won't comment on what preceded them)... these may seem like obvious answers.

Is there a disc that I should look for to fill a gap in my bag? - do you currently have a shot that you can't achieve with one of your discs? If so, then you should work to develop that shot with a disc you already have. If this is too hard or impossible, then look to get a new disc to fill that gap. 99% of the time the answer isn't the B option.

Are all of the GL plastics too heavy for me? - If you are used to throwing 150-160g discs, and are then moving to 170-180g discs, do you feel they are too heavy for you? If so, they probably are.

Whats a good OH disc to replace my FB for thumbers? - no idea, cause I don't throw a thumber. But I would suggest looking at one of the flight analysis sites, and compare flight paths. find one from L64 that (closely) matches the FB, and voila.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 39
Niced 184 Times in 69 Posts

I'd agree that you might have a few too many high speed discs for where you're at right now. Maybe focus on a few lower speed discs for now and work into the higher speed stuff.

Right now I'd recommend going with the Saint to replace your Teebird, the River as a stable compliment to the Saint, XXX for OS/Thumber duties, maybe all 3 mids (Pain, Corefromtheroof, Fuse), and the Pure for upshot/putting duties. That would make for a good, all around bag and will allow you to become familiar with the Lat discs that would mostly replace what you're currently throwing.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 97 Times in 67 Posts

Most of onemilemore's suggestions look good.

Going from 150-160g discs to Lat64 is going to be tricky, since they don't seem to put out many discs under 169, at least not that I've seen

175+ drivers will be too heavy for you if your best driver is a 150 t-bird. I haven't thrown the Saint, the one onemile suggested.

The River is a great disc, kinda flippy, and REEEEAAAAALLLLLY glidey. Honestly, I think you should go with the lightest River you can find if you want to rotate out the 150 Tbirds. Eventually, the River will get too flippy for some of those Tbird shots, and then it'll be time for some heavier, faster drivers.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 108
Niced 26 Times in 19 Posts

XXX if you want a disc that compares to your firebird. I also think you should stand that Flow up and try a few thumbers/tommy's with it, I think you might like what you see. It holds a very tight flip in case you are very limited in space from side to side. I like a Saint, great disc. Don't get caught up in having an all Lat bag is what I would recommend. I made a huge switch to almost all Lat plastic but have found that I really need a couple molds from each manufacturer. I love the Zone's from Discraft and the Teebirds from Innova. I also never left my Wizards. I use my pures on drives and approach shots but usually always putt with my Wizards. The core is a very sweet disc as well. Played a one disc round against some guys I hang with the other day and tied my low round on my local course with an Opto Chameleon Core. Very sweet disc. If you have Innova or Discraft that you really throw well, don't feel obligated to switch unless the new disc does something "better"......................jerry
Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

For the thumbers/ FB replacement, the answer is a resounding xXx.

Teebirds, I'd probably try the Strikers, find ones that aren't super beefy b/c I remember early Strikers being fairly overstable. But I think you can find TB like Strikers since Strikers can vary in stability, for better or worse.

For Eagles (x mold), the Saint is a similar S-curvy disc. Might be tricky finding a Saint as overstable as an overstable EX, a beefy Striker might be better for that.

Anything neutral-understable I'd go with the River. Great, glidey disc. Should handle anything from your Valks to your beat Teebirds/Eagles.

Champ Roc = Pain, pretty easy. Buzzz = I'd go with a Core (with dome). The Warship is great but it's more like a seasoned DX Rancho Roc or Z Comet except maybe a bit longer. Fuse is one of my favorite discs period. Great, understable mid.

As far as weight difference, the better glide of a lot of the Lat. discs will offset that a bit but I'd still look for as light as possible, especially with the drivers. Tricky to find Scandinavian plastic in the <170s and they get snapped up pretty quickly.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 350 Times in 217 Posts

Trying new discs is half the fun; granted, Lat 64/Westside are like the price of a good meal, still, 14.99 won't make you miss rent, etc. Give em' a whirl.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I'll look for a XXX to throw thumbers with and need to get out in a field and see how some of the others react to thumbers.

My problem with the river is that when I throw it flat, it comes out perfectly straight for 100 feet or so and then takes a 45 degree turn to the left (LHBH) and glides forever, but never comes back. Perhaps I'm releasing it wrong, who knows....

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll look for a XXX to throw thumbers with and need to get out in a field and see how some of the others react to thumbers.

My problem with the river is that when I throw it flat, it comes out perfectly straight for 100 feet or so and then takes a 45 degree turn to the left (LHBH) and glides forever, but never comes back. Perhaps I'm releasing it wrong, who knows....
Release it on a hyzer, watch it flip to flat, ride straight, and glide forward forever.