Old 08-01-2019, 04:02 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 738 Posts

As you pointed out, the rules try to address things as they happen. Accidentally moving a marker or picking up your disc before marking is more likely to happen earlier in the process of preparing to make your throw than later. Thus, commenting on this in the Marking a Lie seems to make more sense than Interference which is a specialty area not part of a normal throw sequence.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2019, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,471 Times in 1,514 Posts

Maybe just some footnotes in one section, pointing towards another?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Maybe just some footnotes in one section, pointing towards another?
I think especially in this day and age more people carry a smart phone with the ability to look-up online than a regular book, foot notes could even be replaced by hyper-links.

This is especially true with something like this scenario where moving a disc during marking you could jump back and forth. interference, stance, marking a lie? Stance inside and outside the circle for one. I get why they are in different places but could use some linking.

As a general note on the rules, hyper-links need to re-direct to any relevant Q&A or clarifications as well. Plenty of rules I thought were clear and understood then the Q&A might somewhat contradict. IF one *thinks* they understand the text they aren't going to the Q&A for clarification.

I think in the scenario of, moving the disc in the process of marking the lie (flipping it then realizing that is casual and move it back), is not interference (although it may not be totally proper), marking with the mini and throwing from the proper mark.
Its not proper but I just don't see a penalty or even an official warning other than a casual reminder in the rules.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,471 Times in 1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I think especially in this day and age more people carry a smart phone with the ability to look-up online than a regular book, foot notes could even be replaced by hyper-links.

Or, the footnotes could by hyper-linked in the digital versions.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

Ignoring the doctrinal interpretation of the rule, the practical answer to your question would be: almost never. Marking violations are regularly ignored since they are usually inconsequential. My first tournament was a two day A tier, played with three discs and no marker. No one said squat about my using another disc, or a stick, or nothing at all, to mark my lie. While that won't always be the case, I have continued to violate (for the sake of experiment) the marking rules ever since, and have only been warned once.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

I sent the Rules Committee an inquiry about this, and was told that a player has not committed a marking violation until they have made a throw from the improperly marked lie:
Quote:
It would be difficult to determine when to call a marking violation if it can be called at any time before the throw. That way a player has a chance to correct the marking error. For example, if a player flipped their disc to mark the lie, I'd tell them immediately that that's not a legal marking method, have them flip it back and mark it properly. If they threw before I could say anything, then they have committed a marking violation.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 144 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnttiM View Post
I sent the Rules Committee an inquiry about this...
Thank you for that. I wasn't able to get the rules on their own to convince me one way or the other.

Candidate rule wording change.

Quote:
D. Throwing from a lie marked in a manner other than described above is a marking violation. A player receives a warning for the first marking violation. A player receives one penalty throw for each subsequent violation of any marking rule during the round.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)