#1  
Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM
fastdds fastdds is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear leg OB and stance.

802.07 Stance
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 08:33
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds.

For example, say the drive goes OB onto a street. Disc is brought back to in bounds (with penalty of course) + 3 feet. My question is, regarding the supporting points and putting. Player sets up put with front foot on lie and rear foot still on the street (OB). If the rear leg is off the ground just prior to and upon disc release, is it still considered a supporting point? Would this situation necessitate a straddle putt to get the rear leg in bounds for set up of the throw?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2019, 11:19 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 368
Niced 160 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdds View Post
802.07 Stance
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 08:33
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds.

For example, say the drive goes OB onto a street. Disc is brought back to in bounds (with penalty of course) + 3 feet. My question is, regarding the supporting points and putting. Player sets up put with front foot on lie and rear foot still on the street (OB). If the rear leg is off the ground just prior to and upon disc release, is it still considered a supporting point? Would this situation necessitate a straddle putt to get the rear leg in bounds for set up of the throw?
thanks!
https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-...isc-golf/80204
Quote:
A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support.
It's not a supporting point if it's not on the playing surface. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,151
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Has this changed in one of the last couple rules updates?

I think the rule is very clear but a while ago I was told pretty aggressively during a weekly that you cannot have a supporting point OB during your STANCE. They said this was the whole point of the meter relief so you could take the whole stance in bounds. Watching some footage this year and seeing pros have a foot OB got me to look up the rule and wonder where the stance vs prior to disc release difference came from. Was it just bad tribal knowledge or was it in previous rules?

On that same point if a fence line marks OB, what about hitting the fence itself with the back-foot during a putt? I have also been told that is a fault but this one is less clear to me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,827
Niced 3,725 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Has this changed in one of the last couple rules updates?

I think the rule is very clear but a while ago I was told pretty aggressively during a weekly that you cannot have a supporting point OB during your STANCE. They said this was the whole point of the meter relief so you could take the whole stance in bounds. Watching some footage this year and seeing pros have a foot OB got me to look up the rule and wonder where the stance vs prior to disc release difference came from. Was it just bad tribal knowledge or was it in previous rules?

On that same point if a fence line marks OB, what about hitting the fence itself with the back-foot during a putt? I have also been told that is a fault but this one is less clear to me.
The rules as long as I have been playing have always been oriented around the moment of release. You have always been able to stand with a supporting point out of bounds as long as you got it in their air/off the playing surface before the moment of release. Is a run up considered part of one's stance? Because you're able to run up from OB as long as you have no supporting points OB at the moment of release. Same principle applies.

To your second point, if your foot is simply making contact with the fence as you throw, that's not really considered a supporting point so I'd say it would be legal. It's incidental contact, no different than if you're throwing near a tree or bush and in the process of your throw you make contact with a branch and cause it to move (803.01.A).

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,151
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The rules as long as I have been playing have always been oriented around the moment of release.
As i thought rudiments of bad passed along knowledge. Thanks.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2019, 03:15 PM
fastdds fastdds is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

today from PDGA.com questions about rules - stance

"QA-STA-4: I have an uphill lie for a short putt. Can I place my back foot on the lie and my front foot on the ground ahead of the lie, then lift my front foot just before releasing? After throwing the disc my momentum takes me behind the lie. I call this a “fade-away” putt.

Yes, that is allowed. Your stance was legal when you released the disc, and you did not go past your lie (closer to the hole) after releasing."

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-...s#t5566n237776

The above query does not specifically address OB, but one could infer point of contact and stance from above.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2019, 04:01 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,202
Niced 282 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Has this changed in one of the last couple rules updates?

I think the rule is very clear but a while ago I was told pretty aggressively during a weekly that you cannot have a supporting point OB during your STANCE. They said this was the whole point of the meter relief so you could take the whole stance in bounds. Watching some footage this year and seeing pros have a foot OB got me to look up the rule and wonder where the stance vs prior to disc release difference came from. Was it just bad tribal knowledge or was it in previous rules?

On that same point if a fence line marks OB, what about hitting the fence itself with the back-foot during a putt? I have also been told that is a fault but this one is less clear to me.
PFD:

You're confusing the "common" definition of stance, with our rule book definition of stance. For all the years I refereed many sports we were always taught that the definitions were the single most important part of the rules.

In common usage a stance is something you do while standing. In disc golf, a stance has nothing to do with standing, at least not in all cases. The stance can be standing, or kneeling, or lying on the ground, or tiptoeing, or putting one hand on the lie and other supporting points elsewhere -- heck I've even seen one player I play against reasonably regularly make what could only be termed as a "butt-putt" (he was obstructed) several times. Our stance is where you are when the disc is released.

So the people who passed that knowledge to you were correct; though not in the way you wrote it. You cannot have a supporting point OB during your (disc golf) stance and the purpose of the meter relief IS to be able to take your whole stance inbounds. And if your putting style is a typical staggered stance putt with a release while the back foot is off the ground, then such a stance with the front foot only in contact with the lie is totally legal as long as it meets all the other provisions of a legal stance.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2019, 04:17 PM
kenjiac's Avatar
kenjiac kenjiac is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colonie NY
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,038
Niced 203 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Has this changed in one of the last couple rules updates?

I think the rule is very clear but a while ago I was told pretty aggressively during a weekly that you cannot have a supporting point OB during your STANCE. They said this was the whole point of the meter relief so you could take the whole stance in bounds. Watching some footage this year and seeing pros have a foot OB got me to look up the rule and wonder where the stance vs prior to disc release difference came from. Was it just bad tribal knowledge or was it in previous rules?

On that same point if a fence line marks OB, what about hitting the fence itself with the back-foot during a putt? I have also been told that is a fault but this one is less clear to me.
hand them a rule book and ask them to show you that rule.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,151
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
PFD:

You're confusing the "common" definition of stance, with our rule book definition of stance. For all the years I refereed many sports we were always taught that the definitions were the single most important part of the rules.
Wow, I see that. A bit confusing as well then based on some of the way the rules are written, it seems there needs to be a clarification at times between what I guess would be the set-up and the stance. There are many places the rules call out specifically for clarity "at the time the disc is released" but stance is used a bit vaguely at times. By this what I was told was literally correct, but the person saying it was also using the more colloquial definition which I guess would be more correctly termed the set-up?

Yes definitions of the terms becomes paramount. Much like the "what is the meaning of intentional" thread. Which has so many parallel conversations in so many other sports.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,202
Niced 282 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Wow, I see that. A bit confusing as well then based on some of the way the rules are written, it seems there needs to be a clarification at times between what I guess would be the set-up and the stance. There are many places the rules call out specifically for clarity "at the time the disc is released" but stance is used a bit vaguely at times. By this what I was told was literally correct, but the person saying it was also using the more colloquial definition which I guess would be more correctly termed the set-up?

Yes definitions of the terms becomes paramount. Much like the "what is the meaning of intentional" thread. Which has so many parallel conversations in so many other sports.
Exactly:

And if it's not in the rules there is no such thing -- e.g., the "set-up" (as you mentioned) doesn't exist in the rules, only in our colloquial world. In your OP when you were told you couldn't even take the "stance" that way, what's to stop you from saying, "...oh, this isn't my "stance;" it's just part of my pre-shot routine that I go through!" Nothing, right???

We had a separate definitions section in the rules prior to this latest update. The RC decided to simply define all the key terms at the first usage within the rules, so that makes it a little harder to find specific ones now. As I said, it's like when I refereed before -- DEFINITIONS. In football, a simple example is was it a "muff" or was it a "fumble"? Important because either team can pick up and run with/advance a fumble, but not true if it was a muff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should happen with rear leg? charmees Form Analysis/Critique 123 10-28-2019 06:36 PM
The Rear Leg NoseDownKing Technique & Strategy 1 07-05-2019 04:03 PM
Getting the rear leg behind justinf67 Technique & Strategy 4 11-15-2017 05:14 PM
Pain in the rear intotheblue Discs 8 06-18-2013 07:26 PM
Ever play a course, that just kicks your rear. Midnightbiker Disc Golf Courses 31 03-28-2010 07:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.