Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 273 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Working on the same issue.

Flutter is lack of spin. When you (I) try to add power, we lose wrist snap. So, you’ve got to focus on relaxing the wrist as the arm comes forward so it flexes and can still snap at release.

Keep practicing that.
Flutter really doesn’t mean lack of spin. Flutter means some form of off-axis torque being put onto the disc. Zero OAT really doesn’t exist, it’s just a matter of minimizing it to the point where it doesn’t affect the flight.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Old 04-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
Flutter really doesn’t mean lack of spin. Flutter means some form of off-axis torque being put onto the disc. Zero OAT really doesn’t exist, it’s just a matter of minimizing it to the point where it doesn’t affect the flight.
Yes. My guess is that the "spin fast" advice comes from noting that slower spin rates can mean even a slight wobble won't stabilize. A fast spin can overcome some initial sloppy OAT.

I've tried a bunch of things just tossing a disc up in the air a few feet above me, and sometimes I can get a dead flat release even with low spin. I've noticed that having my wrist cocked back more than normal (that is, adding a little extra beyond just the disc weight) seems to help. I also get some improvement from pinching my thumb more toward the edge than into the flight plate. But nothing's a 100% fix, or even 75% yet.

Looking forward to some (but not too much!) fieldwork once weather improves. I'll focus on feeling lag, leading with elbow (uncomfortable with my surgically affected shoulder), and isolating the right grip and release to stop the stupid OAT.