Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 PM
Par Member

Niced 90 Times in 59 Posts

Dude. You have fixed a major issue for me. That grip explanation video with the leverage demo completely flipped how I thought about where my hand needed to be on the disc. Was out today throwing these piercing hyzers and gentle turning fairway drivers instead of the usual slight hyzer fade early. Thank you for talking through those changes/realizations.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 284 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchancer88 View Post
Dude. You have fixed a major issue for me. That grip explanation video with the leverage demo completely flipped how I thought about where my hand needed to be on the disc. Was out today throwing these piercing hyzers and gentle turning fairway drivers instead of the usual slight hyzer fade early. Thank you for talking through those changes/realizations.

Man, thats so awesome! Thats what its all about.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:00 PM
Eagle Member

Snow gone so went to test!

Thankyou SW, Rfrance, Slowplastic, Moche ex, Navel, Seedlings, Randy C, UN, Deyo, HUB, and everyone else for all the great explanations, discussions and breakdowns throughout my journey on how the F the lower body works.

This is IT! This is got to be the closest I’ve ever been to getting the lower body powering most of the drive. And man, it feels GOOOD. Still some rounding but as per the earlier vids I have a lot of things to fix right now. Something about the camera makes me use my arm a little bit more than usual. Hmm.

Something about the pre swing point and how I’m not really loading in the backswing properly with the upper body, I’m rotating too far (I think) instead of loading up the sling. My first few throws (ok maybe 20-30 odd) I was tipping over the top after/during transition. After a few throws trying to change this and nothing happening, I remembered the mcbeezy quote where he says to exaggerate the change. Ironically I realized after I got home that the change I implemented was just bloody hip to sky! But I hadn’t remembered that in the field, I was thinking about resisting the hip in a way to stop my body from getting pulled over the top. Trouble is I could only focus on one new change at a time (lol 1023 post) and couldn’t truly let go of the ol’ brain just yet. So the old muscle memory of rounding etc still there.

New grip/swing putting SO much more spin/inertia on discs out my hand, first time in a long time I’ve noticed it come out and think * w o a h ! * I’ve felt/seen this before a few times but not known why/ lost it.

SO, lots to work on, does this sound right SW?
Even if it’s not 100% right I’m happy as hell, threw a bunch of discs over the 400 mark from a one step! No strain whatsoever!

First one is self film to watch myself make the correct adjustment. No idea why I didn’t try this before. Instant feedback.

Then this is the throw after that. Camera died after.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:22 PM
Eagle Member

Ahhh you know what, I think i need to make a quicker move to the front side, get everything off the rear side, that’s why I was tipping in the beginning. That’s why I fall back too? So truly get everything to the front leg compressed into the ground then pump the leg up and disc just comes whipping in and away (I think).

I’ve never used the ground like this before, and when getting onto the front leg in a quicker way I really feel my legs get tangled up together(as I swing thru) with some force! I think I may finally be understanding how a vertical hop helps make this transition easier and faster.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 245
Niced 5,612 Times in 3,314 Posts

Yeah, looks like the disc shoots out your hand. Little more Riding the Bull - more sudden shift of pressure/tilt. Your front foot lands kind of soft/flat.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:32 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

Take note of how far the rear foot has gone forward before the elbow starts bending in #5. The swing lags back through a taut upper arm, arm/disc starts forward really SLOW from heavy momentum created on the disc after all weight has shifted forward and coils into the braced front side and then suddenly whips out forward.

Most Ams start rotating and accelerating the disc forward before the rear foot de-weights.

Thanks SW!
Frames 3,4,5 is where I need to be quicker! Then let the magic happen
Old 04-26-2021, 01:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:

Take note of how far the rear foot has gone forward before the elbow starts bending in #5. The swing lags back through a taut upper arm, arm/disc starts forward really SLOW from heavy momentum created on the disc after all weight has shifted forward and coils into the braced front side and then suddenly whips out forward.

Most Ams start rotating and accelerating the disc forward before the rear foot de-weights.

Quote:
That is the correct feel, the rear femur rotates forward underneath the pelvis and shin rotates facing down/heel up foot eversion from the instep driving everything from the ground up and blocking the lower spine upright on the braced front femur creating internal torque or squeeze between the thighs to the torso/arm/disc. It's like riding a twirling bucking bull and holding upright on to the bull by squeezing the trailing leg into the bull or your front side.

What you see below in red is the guy being thrown off the bull with the legs separating and spine tipping over as the lower spine sways back out away from the target/front side, the front side posture has collapsed. You should be getting more upright into the finish extending the front side angles to whip the arm/disc through.

This is all feeling familiar now!

Old 04-26-2021, 02:18 AM
Par Member

Niced 235 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Snow gone so went to test!

Compare your pre-shot routine to Eagles. Watching your clip at around 00:04 an the clip of Eagle at around 00:19 is quite telling why you feel like you fall backwards in the swing and feel soft on the plant foot.

I bet you are trying your best to not fall forward in the swing but you end up leaning away instead. Eagle isn't afraid of the target. He is about to pounce on it like a cat.

Obligatory internet cats incoming:

Eagle

You

Changing it to look more like what Eagle is feeling will also make you feel like you get to the plant foot more sudden / faster. Don't be afraid to get deeper in that front hip now that you have a better understanding of how it moves.

Last edited by navel; 04-26-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Exactly! Its a great analogy, man I really overlooked grip prior to this. Its almost like if the grips not right you arent able to feel where to leverage the disc correctly!

More snow here today, hoping this is all correct and I can try it out.
Glad that lever drill worked for you! Im glad you posted it, cause Ive been playing more rounds and doing less field work lately and totally lost a feel for it. I was getting frustrated and couldnt remember how I figured it out, so I appreciate the reminder. Its crazy how fleeting it is, especially if you have training your body to strong arm like I have.

I really like this gif of Wiggins from SW22. Really shows that slash thru motion.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Eagle Member

Its gold and very useful for showing anyone new to the sport a clear way of how to throw decently off the bat! Thankyou Sir for un-burying that!